Guide relevence, quests and new content questions.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by hsPanda, Jun 11, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. hsPanda

hsPanda Member

so I've started playing ToEE for the first time and I had originally started it using COE 8.0, I've since upgraded to the COE 8.1 new content version and am thinking of restarting my game (I believe upgraded to 8.1 forces me to do so anyway?)

first off, I've been using :
    http://www.gamebanshee.com/templeofelementalevil/locations/unhappytailor.php
    as a guide, mainly for a list of quests so as to insure I don't miss a quest, and secondly as a walkthrough for when I actually get stuck and can't figure out what to do after speaking to the initial quest giver.
    I realize this guide does not cover the COE new content but I was wondering if it still applied to the original content or does COE edit some of these quests to work differently? if so which ones?(I have a problem with some of the original quests, more on this in a minute)

also with the new content I've read the description which is similar to :example:
    New content expansion 4 | Verbobonc | Available after you have dealt with Zuggtmoy. Verbobonc features numerous quests and plots and is not merely a staging ground for the other new content.
    as the description says it's a new quest hub, so I assume there is atleast a few number of npc/quest givers, is there a list/guide of these quest givers/npcs (to make sure I don't miss anything)

moving back to the problems I'm having

#1 I was trying to do the unhappy tailor quest but when I talk to renton concerning jinnerth I do not get the option to bluff or diplomacy like the guide explains the only option I get during the conversation is "oh" after asking about why jennrith cannot join.
    I feel these options just aren't showing up period because I'm not high enough skill in diplomacy or bluff?? can someone confirm this please

and secondly black jays sheep, I try talking to black jay concerning his sheep but the only chat option he gives is "have you lived in homlet long?" now my party is chaotic neutral, not neutral good, so does this mean I can't do that quest? does this mean there are certain quests I cannot do based on party alignment? or is this quest just broken?

thx for the help! :3

also lastly: psions....can we make psions a thing? plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz they're my favorite class D:

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

One of the main concerns for the Co8 modders was to preserve the original content, and only add things on without disturbing the quests as they were originally written. So all the quests should run as they did before the modding. The only one I can think that changed for some reason is the location of Black Jay's ring. There is no longer a goblin near the church with the ring. I point this out so you don't spend 2 hours of frustration circling the church looking for a goblin that isn't there. :anger: The ring is found elsewhere, so watch out for it where you least expect it.

Game Guide & Walkthrough For The Circle of Eight Modpack New Content Edition

Sections 2.2, 2.10, and 2.18 - 2.34 describe the new content. There are lots of spoilers there of course, so read cautiously. There are also countless play tips and suggestions, which are well worth the read.

It requires a Diplomacy of 6 or greater.

Additional tip - Spoiler ---->
    Buy the Black Dress from Jinerth, it will boost your diplomacy score by 2 and aid in the completion of most of the Hommlet quests.
    <----

This one always gets me as many steps are needed, and I still can't remember the exact order but have to do something like find the Hemmlock, talk to Jaroo, talk to Jay, confront the kid that is dropping it, the go back to Jaroo, then go back to Jay, etc. Keep pecking away.

Finally, make sure you find the signpost near the Inn (see pic below). It will help you navigate Hommlet more quickly when you are doing all the quests.

SignPost.jpg

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you ask Jay how's his wife doing after returning his ring you should almost get shoehorned into the right dialogue for the sheep quest.

4. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Ahh, so that's the key. It seems you have to find the ring and complete that quest first, and from there you can ask about his wife, which spawns the dead sheep quest. I just ran thru it several times and couldn't get anything till you finish the ring quest. This is a change from the original game where you could start the dead sheep quest before the ring quest. I'm not sure why that was changed in the mods.

Also, I didn't have to go to Jaroo about the Hemlock, or even pick it up to finish the quest. So apparently it's just:

Full Spoiler:

1) Complete the "A Ring for Black Jay" quest.
    2) Ask about his wife and accept the "Black Jay's Dead Sheep" quest.
    3) Confront Corl at night in Black Jay's fields with either a Sense Motive of 3, an Intimidate of 6, or be a Druid of any level. This will scare him off.
    4) Return to Black Jay and spill the beans.

End Spoiler.

5. hsPanda

hsPanda Member

ah, well that explains the quests. and I now has a guide with list of stuffs awesome thx for help :3

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I agree with you marc1967, the sheep quest is on the same level of difficulty as the other Fed Ex type quests in town, unless you're NG you've had to face some dangers to get that ring. Even a NG party without a sleep spell has seen some tough moments getting that darn ring. ;)

Our Host!