Multi class character can't copy scrolls

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Oleg Ben Loleg, May 22, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

DC to save against the spell ;)

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Then it would be 10 + spell level + ability score modifier of the person who crafted the scroll, wand or item.

Ted, you may find this page from the D20 SRD useful D20 SRD Magic items

3. Dreamteam

Dreamteam Member

Hmmm... so it appears on those lists that there are indeed arcane and divine versions of healing spells. A wizard should be able to read a scroll containing an arcane version of the spell then...

4. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

The reason the wizard can't read a Bard's scroll of Cure Light Wounds, even though it is arcane, is because of the second item on this list:

"To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.

- The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)

- The user must have the spell on his or her class list.

- The user must have the requisite ability score."​

5. Shiningted

Thanks Sir Chet.

I'll just mention I've confirmed that the spell level does indeed come from the item (both a cleric given a level of Wiz, and my actual 5th level Wiz, cast the scroll of Hold Person as though 5th level) even though the dc is set by the person holding it. So spell.caster_level comes from the item, spell.dc from the holder. But we knew that - no new information :(

Can anyone think how to determine if a spell comes from an item (potion / wand etc)? I'd like to tinker the Poison spell so different potions of Poison do different things (and can be worth their proper amounts), but I can't tihnk of any simple way to determine if it is a potion / wand etc. If we could, we could fix these minor bugs, though we'd have to change every spell script in the game... :roll:

6. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Are you asking that when the spell is cast, and it gets to the script that processes that spell, can you determine at that point if it was cast as a spell or came from an item? I don't think so from what I can see. At that point it's just a spell. The only ones that differentiate are spells that have radial menu options like 'Command', 'Restoration', and 'Summon' spells. But the trigger that it came from a wand or scroll is that no radial selection was set, so it just assumes indirectly that it came from a wand or scroll. It doesn't actually check for the source. Get those TemplePlus guys working on this! :shrug: Beyond my pay-grade.

I think the easy way would be to make a special INTERNAL spell for the new poison potions, and then you'd know that the spell came from using a potion.

An oddity I ran across recently is that if you feed poison to someone, the DC is adjusted by your own Wisdom since at that point it's only a spell called Poison, and it assumes you are the caster, even if you are non-spellcaster like a Barbarian or whatever.

7. Shiningted

Well, yeah, that's the issue of spell.dc coming from the holder not the item. Anyways, I want the ability to determine which potion of Poison you have - for the Poison spell to be able to know when to apply Carrion Crawler Brain Juice poison and when Dragon Bile, etc. For one thing, costs for such things are considerably different. Milking a small centipede for its poison may not be worth it at 120gp a dose: harvesting a dragon's gall bladder probably is at 1500gp.

O well, back to the drawing board :) Gratuitous link.

8. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

Can't you just create a bunch of different spells - one for each poison type? Then each poison would be linked to its specific poison spell with its own specific cost. My skills aren't very sophisticated, but I feel like I could probably do that.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  9. Shiningted

Yeah, that would work. but there's 32 different poisons, and I'm not sure we have that many spare spell slots if we can't go past number 800 (or that it would be an appropriate use of a finite resource). But it would work, sure :) You know, you've given me an idea....

For the record, (back to an earlier issue raised in this thread) I tried doing wands and scrolls with more than one spell so you are selecting from a spell list, to see if this in turn triggered the args list for spells that have a radial menu choice (eg Restoration, Summonings etc) rather than having to cop a random choice. It didn't work :(

Gratuitous list:

{300}{Small Centipede}
    {301}{Greenblood Oil}
    {302}{Spider Venom}
    {303}{Blood Root}
    {304}{Purple Worm}
    {305}{Large Scorpion}
    {306}{Wyvern}
    {307}{Giant Wasp}
    {308}{Black Adder}
    {309}{Malyss Root Paste}
    {310}{Dragon Bile}
    {311}{Sassone Leaf Residue}
    {312}{Terinav Root}
    {313}{Carrion Crawler Brain Juice}
    {314}{Black Lotus Extract}
    {315}{Id Moss}
    {316}{Striped Toadstool}
    {317}{Lich Dust}
    {318}{Dark Reaver Powder}
    {319}{Burnt Othur Fumes}
    {320}{Quasit}
    {321}{Violet Fungi}
    {322}{Yellow Mold}
    {323}{Mystical}
    {324}{Other}
    {325}{Blue Whinnis}
    {326}{Shadow Essence}
    {327}{Deathblade}
    {328}{Nitharit}
    {329}{Oil of Taggit}
    {330}{Arsenic}
    {331}{Ungol Dust}
    {332}{Insanity Mist}

10. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

You could definitely get 32 spells out of existing but unused slots (e.g., darkvision, waterwalking, etc.). I use those slots for all of my homemade spells but none of the mods seem to use them. Or, if you don't want to use all 32, maybe just pick a few favorite poisons?

Our Host!