Question about lost pc giant

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by anonist, Jul 5, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. anonist

anonist Member

Longtime lurker. Since, like, 5.0 at least. I'll let that speak for itself in regards to your awesome work. :)

That said, I recall the Pregen giant a couple versions back. I know it had to be removed. My question: Was a cause for its problem ever discovered?

I ask because I want to make my own monster PC. Specifically, a well meaning and insightful ogre runt who is a castaway from his tribe, only to embrace the warmth of Pelor as his cleric. But I am concerned how well such an attempt would play out given the giant...

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

That is an exciting idea, I wish I could give you some insight as to the Giant PC.

Hopefully one of the gurus will chime in and give you the scoop on what happened and why.

3. anonist

anonist Member

Yeah. The alternative is a monk. Since, you know. Kung Fu Ogre. :aaaa:

4. anonist

anonist Member

Still no word? And I even have decided I could expand my idea to an all giant-kin party! Troll Barbarian, Ogre Wizard, Ettin Cleric, Hill Giant Ranger and... crap, is there a fifth giant that would work for bard?

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The giant developed some proto issue that caused the game to crash at the character generation screen (likely from equipment that no longer existed or something like that - we never actually checked). I'm sure it would have been fixable with some investigation but we actually got rid of it because it came from the Co8 era of "everything goes in!" and had no business being there.

Vanilla ToEE had most of the iconic (known, documented) PCs - Mialee and Krusk and all those. We tossed the giant, added the remaining missing iconics, and tweaked the existing ones so that any party alignment could have a viable shot (adequate talker, etc.) with just the iconics, which is the purpose of the pre-gen characters anyway.

You could make your own PCs, sure, but why not just make them during character creation? Making pregens is a pita if you're not familiar with modding (and even if you are), as it involves some hex editing, etc.

6. anonist

anonist Member

Well my first idea was to follow those old instructions about taking an already made character and reattaching a couple of hex values to turn them into a different "race". I admittedly tried that briefly before with a bugbear, but it seemed to cause CtD issues after having copied the proto of a half-orc and changing its model, and of course ID number to be unique. I didn't reallt explore the cause of the CtD, and I figured I'd rather double check here first to see if there was any grand, sweeping kind of problem that may have developed in future Co8 patches, which the giant being removed could have reflected.

Given that it sounds like no, that means I can go back and try again, and make sure it sticks. Now I just need to find how to emulate reach... I have a couple of ideas for how to emulate an "ogre-lite" that would be appropriate for a PC, more or less, but I need to figure out how to give it such stats...

EDIT: Just realized, I should at least check: any chance you guys have managed to tame the issues larger characters can have in certain areas like the Inn? Admittedly actually having the guy large would be kind of sweet, but I remember one time I first recruited Scorpp and took him in and... yeah.

DOUBLE DRAAGO-EDIT: Actually, I just thought of something. Don't trolls have a "natural" attack in their slams? If so, I really should try a Troll druid. then I can use druid buffs on their standard weapon. Take THAT, weird issues with natural shape!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

If you're looking for a giant that would fit as a bard, try going old school with a Firbolg.

8. anonist

anonist Member

Is the Firbolg currently in game? Never met one, but I haven't done new Verbobonc content or WotGS...

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

It;'s not in TOEE, but it was in 1e AD&D (and I think second). Just make sure it has sufficient charisma as a character and go for it.

Our Host!