Electric Trap Level 4

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Kern, Jul 11, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Kern

The Kern Member

I have just finished all quests for the Air Priest and was led to Hedrack on the 4th level.

He assigned me a quest, which I accepted. However, on the way back to the upper level, I encounter some kind of electric trap. What is it? It kills anyone almost immediately!

There is a chest next to it which I can "speak" to, but nothing happens. Apparently you need a password or something? How do you get it?

This is the ONLY way out! Help!

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Have you explored the rooms adjacent to the trapped chests you can speak to?

You can also hit the c button to enter combat and move your party past it that way, but it IS a cheat. ;)

3. The Kern

The Kern Member

No.. I just ran my character with the most hitpoints through by himself. Then he made it to the exit on his own, and of course, the entire party leaves an area together.

Cheesy? Maybe. But the fact that you were led into the temple, asked to perform a task by the head priest and then the ONLY way out is trapped is highly unbelievable too. They would at the very least provide you with the password or temporary safe passage through it, as you are working for them.

Thus, during that particular path, the trap arguably shouldn't even exist or be active.

4. edmortimer

edmortimer Occupy Wall Street

Yes, you should be given the password or
    the scarab
    because you were sent down and are part of the Temple . . . OTOH until it gets fixed you can use your Temple Map to go from onbe level to another. Getting back to Hedrack, though, will mean disabling that trap.

5. The Kern

The Kern Member

How do you use your temple map to travel?

Regardless, I figured a neat trick around it. After I had cleared the "disturbance" on Level 3, I ran back to level 2 and spoke with the Air Priest again, who had the same dialogue as when I completed my last quest for him. Thus, I was able to be led right to Hedrack once again without encountering that stupid trap.

I then joined The Temple of Elemental Evil, and just finished my first ever playthrough of this game.

6. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I did that once just to see what happened, and you end up missing 75% of the game by joining the temple. See crime does NOT pay, lol.

You miss...

- Great Level 3 dungeon crawl.
    - Level 4 Greater Temple battles, which inlcudes imo the best combat scenario from the original game; the showdoen with Hedrack in his room.
    - The 4 Elemental nodes
    - The final battle with Zugtmoy
    - And most importantly, all the amazing Co8 new content with Verbobonc that usually brings you to Level 20.

If you play again, enjoy all the stuff you missed, it's worth another run through.

7. marc1967

Oh, and if you have a rogue of fairly high level with Improved Evasion (or even just Evasion), they can usually just sprint through the electronic barrier since they will make all their saving throws. Then go through the blue door to get everyone else through as you did..

But yeah, I remember thinking that same thing when Hedrack sent me on a quest.

8. edmortimer

edmortimer Occupy Wall Street

In your inventory drag the Temple Map to the Use Item button, right next to the Drop Item button. You'll get a menu of levels/places in and around the Temple you've been.

9. The Kern

The Kern Member

I'm an RP-er, not a power gamer. My party was evil. Thus, it made sense for me to join the Temple.

That being said, I made my party of 3 "self-made" characters, and 5 NPC's. And by "self-made" I actually mean I chose three of the pregenerated characters. I actually felt satisfied with this ending. The combat and flavour of the game is AMAZING. Another thing I loved is that your party never feels like "the chosen one." Almost every battle is tense and exciting, and you are never god-like with your abilities such as in other games. In fact, lots of my character's had items which were only little better than their starting equipment, they didn't have +10 sword of ultimate destruction. I enjoyed this aspect of the game very much. In fact, Krusk, the Half-Orc Barbarian finished the game wielding the same axe he started with.

But I don't like when things aren't well-done. And this game is semi-complete even with all the modding.

For example, I still don't know what all the combat functions do. (i.e. how to trip? When? On what does tripping's success depend? Why does a character like Otis get 2 swings at an enemy and everyone else get one? Is it a feat, or just because he is high level? I noticed Elmo started swinging twice at level 6, so maybe it's that? I don't know.)

I had Fernock for most of the game. Do you even need a rogue? They are worthless. I dumped him for Otis in Nulb and never looked back. Spugnoir with knock was all I needed to replace him, and Otis was a far better fighter. But that's maybe because I don't know how to utilise them properly. I mean, how do you backstab someone? Is "sneak" akin to hiding in shadows in Baldur's Gate? How do you properly utilise this?

Crafting - When, how, why? Craft by yourself, or utilise merchants to do it for you?

What are my stats? My BAB, poison resistance, magic resistance, whatever else? I need to see stats!

Disease - sometimes seemingly caused by no reason and persistently refuses to go away. Is Cure Disease the only option we have?

Spellcasting - how long do spells last? There is no detailed spell description anywhere, so if I didn't already know what most of them did, I would have no clue here. Why do spells like "open" fizzle when trying to open a locked chest? It NEVER works.

Items - lots of them don't have a description. I have no idea what they do. I didn't even know some were unidentified because nothing is telling me that they are.

And this is only the beginning of all the questions I have. The tip of the iceberg. Most of these could be resolved with apt descriptions of them, which wouldn't have taken an excessive amount of work, really. Maybe have two or three stages in a tutorial - basic gameplay, combat, then use of certain classes like rogue and bard.

I am not looking for spoon-feeding, but I do not enjoy blindly stumbling around either, learning things via saving, loading, trial and error.

Thus, I don't think I will do another playthrough for a little while at least. I did learn a lot, but there are still unresolved questions that I am simply not willing to invest more time into. The game provided me with considerable distraction for the $3.99 I paid for it on GOG, and that is sufficient.

10. vendur

vendur Member

You can figure out a lot of this stuff on your own by reading the roll history at the bottom righthand corner -- it's a little blue box that will tell you how the "sausage is being made" as far as game mechanics. And using the help icon(question mark in bottom right) to read through the general help for what you are interested in. If that fails you, you can consult places like http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Trip just make sure when you search for information that it's for "3.5" edition. That section I linked to explains tripping. Heh. Not so simple eh?

As far as buffs, the duration is explained in the spell help section, you can also click on the icon of the spell above the character portrait to see how long it has left; each "number" is 1 combat round. Most items can be shift clicked for a more detail description of their abilities/stats.

11. marc1967

I was going to answer all of your questions individually, but I don't have the time now. Perhaps later. I'll make 2 quick comments which should answer most of your questions.

1) Rules Help: Click on the little blue Question Mark icon (see pic 1 below). This is a fully built in help system which pretty much apes the D&D 3.5 rules. If you have a D&D 3.5 Player's handbook, or access to them online (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:System_Reference_Document) this will also be of help.

2) Rolls History: Click on the little blue Die Icon at the bottom right (see pic 1). During the game all of the information relevant to the dice rolls during combat or adventuring are show in this box, and it's is conveniently hyper-linked. Clicking on any blue text will bring up details about the roll, which can further be linked to more details (see pics 2 and 3 below). You should keep this box open during combat to examine your rolls.

If you are not into turn based gaming where you examine your stats to this level of depth, then maybe the game isn't for you. It's not for everyone. But as is seen in the new Keep on the Borderlands release, you can successfully combine the rich Role-playing and the detailed combat too.

Game Screen 00.jpg

Game Screen 02.jpg

Game Screen 03.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  12. marc1967

Click on Help (the blue question mark at the bottom right), then click "Spells". Every spell is listed with complete details.

Alternately, if you have the Rolls History box open, you can click on the name of the spell when it is cast. So when it says "Gandalf casts Sleep", you can click on the word Sleep to bring up a complete drescription of the spell.

13. The Kern

The Kern Member

Thanks a lot, guys! I appreciate the help! I didn't realise these links were clickable.

As for answering all of my questions, Marc, if you do ever get around it, that would be nice.

Oh, and I love Turn-Based combat. It takes a lot more skill than real time, and actually provides a challenge, as I've stated in my previous post.

Our Host!