From KoTB to ToEE questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by crpgnut, Jul 8, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. crpgnut

crpgnut Member

Okay, I'm playing backwards. Once I finish KoTB, do I need to download anything to play the modpack for ToEE or was it included as part of the KoTB download?

When I made my characters for KoTB, I gave everyone 18's in everything. I do this mostly because I don't care about combat; I play for exploration and loot. I love all the hidden stuff that has been added to KoTB. Is there a reason not to do this for ToEE? I could care less about the combat challenge of the game. Swinging and missing 50% of the time is dull, not fun; at least for me :) It also pads the amount of time the game takes to complete, which is a no-no in my book.

In KoTB, I went with Paladin, Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Sorcerer. Is this viable and is 5 character parties the max you can create? If not, I would likely add a Ranger. It seems like this game is made to go much higher than level 5 or 6, so maybe I need a wizard vs a sorcerer for spell variety. Basically, I want a party that can find and use everything in one playthrough because my time for gaming is limited.

Final question: I've never finished ToEE because the temple itself is boring and traveling back and forth was difficult. Has the mod addressed this in any way?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm typing this from work which has very limited access. I can view forums but can't open any video links, etc. I might be able to view a pdf and will look around and see if there is a link to such a thing on the site already.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Every potential game or module you play in the ToEE engine is a standalone thing, whether it be the vanilla game, the modpack, or KotB (or anything else). See the installation instructions in the Downloads forum to see what to do specifically, but you need to download, install, and activate whatever you're playing individually.

ToEE is basically a dungeon hack. The modpack expands on that slightly but it's still primarily a combat game, which is what people mainly love ToEE for anyway. KotB is a much more nuanced and involved game, an actual RPG as opposed to a dressed up combat simulator like ToEE.

3. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

As far as the "back and forth" issue: yes, the mod pack partially addresses that via a certain magic item that can be found early on, and made later by simply casting a 5th level spell (or from a scroll, of course; either way requires you to have 5,000 gp on hand, but is well worth the cost).

4. crpgnut

crpgnut Member

Thanks, Gaear. Sounds like I can skip ToEE altogether. Hopefully, Ted will continue fleshing out the KotB experience.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you haven't experienced the modpack (NC) version of ToEE, you really should give it a go.

Myself, I find it to be far more than a combat simulator and actually a pretty fun adventure.

But then, we all do have different tastes. ;)

6. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Quick question to tack on to the thread;

If switching active modules between ToEE and KotB, will my savegames from the opposite module be preserved or lost?

7. Gaear

Saves from an active module are backed up by TFE-X whenever a new module is activated. Or you can do it yourself at any time in TFE-X.

8. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Would it be at all possible to take your characters from KotB and transfer them into TOEE after they've finised with the Keep? Would be nice to start TOEE with seasoned adventurers...:)

9. Gaear

Start ToEE at level 6? Sounds like a blowout. It's not currently possible, no.

Our Host!