Black Jay Quest

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Revenant, Feb 28, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Revenant

Revenant Member

Hello,

I am playing this amazing game again, after several years. I have installed your latest modpack with added contnt.

Now, I have a minor problem with it. Namely with Black Jay quests. I have an LN party. When I try to speak with Black Jay, he does not talk much. I remember, there was a quest with stolen ring and quest with poisonous plants. He does not give any option to talk about those issues.

Btw. Goblin with the ring is not on the map, but hemplock pants are there. I picked one and talked with Jaroo, whio mentioned it is poisonous. But Black Jay still does not talk with me about this.

Did you modify those quests somehow?

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

You may find the ring you mentioned in a much different spot, (on a monster's corpse) which will open up the quest with Jay and allow you to discuss the problem he is having with his sheep.

The ring in question is located in different places, it depends on which alignment you are playing.

I recommend going ahead and just playing through the adventure without trying to know exactly what's going to happen and where and see if these changes actually add to the experience.

If you haven't played since the ring and gobbo were moved you have a lot of fantastic new content to experience, I envy you greatly.

btw ... be sure to ask the smith about "something different".

3. Revenant

Revenant Member

Sirchet:

thank you, mate:) I was just wondering if there was not any bug :thumbsup:

Btw. I already cleaned that new low level area, which is brilliant. Aned progressed nicely into the story, my party is now 4 th level and exploring Nulb and Imeryds Run.

Did not found any corpse with ring thougt :( To tell the truth, I am not THAT kind of player who just explore every pixel, you know...

4. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I think you might have torn through the Moathouse a bit quickly then.....

Hint:

I would always check the bodies of the fallen

5. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Think Amazing- or Spectacular- or your friendly neighborhood....:nerd:

6. Revenant

Revenant Member

Well, I tried another group composition and found the ring already;)

thanks for suggestions

7. Solo4114

Solo4114 Member

Ok, so, I know there are a few different locations for this ring. I'm running a Neutral Good party (with no True Neutrals in it, actually), and so far I've yet to find it. Places I've checked:

(spoiler-tagged for those who don't want to see)

1. Deklo Grove. The spiders weren't lootable or at least didn't have body outlines. Nor were there any subsequent encounters with kobolds.

2. The Moathouse. The tower with the spider (safe resting spot) yielded nothing. Nor did the frogs. And this time, even though there were no body-outlines, I checked each of the frogs' corpses. Nothing.

3. I haven't checked the bear at Emirdy Meadows, but I gather that only applies to evil parties? I've JUST hit level 3, so tangling with undead, a bear, and a giant sounds...a little past me just yet.

4. Not that I've heard anything about them, but I didn't find anything in Welkwood Bog, either.

Any suggestions?

8. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

I would retrack your own steps one more time.... Oh, and don't worry about outlines, I'd check everything, just in case......;)

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ninja'd by Zalmoxes... nothing to see here.

10. Solo4114

Solo4114 Member

Ok...

What if the corpses have disappeared?

11. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

:ninja: lol
    Just keep pressing Tab key, you'll see the objects on the ground.

12. Solo4114

Solo4114 Member

Gotcha. Good to know. Guess I'll go retrace my steps...

--EDIT--

Found it. Sheesh. Now I feel like an idiot...

Ok, for those playing a Neutral-Good party, I'm just gonna post where it was (in spoiler tags) in case you got as frustrated as I did.

When you go to Deklo Grove, for NG parties, the ring is inside one of the two giant spiders. The spiders won't show as having anything in them, but the ring should be in one of them.

If you kill them and they disappear, just come back later and look around on the ground for a weird looking brownish-goldish ring thing. I don't think this had the blue outline if you hit TAB, either, so you just have to hover your mouse over it and pick it up.

Then you just bring it back to Jay, take your reward (I went with the cloak for my rogue), and you can then talk to him about the poisoned sheep quest, which seems kinda broken, but that's a topic for a different discussion.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
Our Host!