Whatever Happened To ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maalri, Feb 1, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Hopped in for a quick visit. Glad to see you're doing well. Made a couple of posts just to keep the count up, lol.

Playing STO & Neverwinter these days, the former more than the latter. To find me over there on those games, just look for <@nickodaemus>.

Cheers!

2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Although my contributions have been meager, I am back and testing out 8.01 for dialog glitches. I worked for an international school in Taipei teaching literature, which was quite exhausting (partially because of the distance from home). I have taken the past year off to get my U.S. teacher's license online and to start my master's. It looks like I will take another year off since I can't find any job that I am newly qualified for. So, I'll be around.

Why can't I find the game.quests[x].state list? So much has changed!!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  3. maalri

maalri Immortal

Welcome back Basil! I do stop in from time to time, but am taking a break from ToEE, for a bit.

Might give it another go in another version or two :)

4. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

A large pile of old newspaper and other rubbish stirs in a forgotten corner of the forum. An empty wine bottle clatters out and rolls across the floor, followed by the thunk of a grimy bong. A confused and disheveled figure slowly bring itself, unsteadily to its feet. Slowly straightening and making a vain attempt to smooth out the wrinkles in its robes the figure stumbles into the light, blearily squinting and blinking it's harshness.

"So." the figure says in a rough voice, "What'd I miss?"

5. maalri

maalri Immortal

Welcome back, my Brother from another Mother! I will let the more active members fill you in. I haven't played a go through since 8.0, myself.

6. Emirkol the Chaotic

Great to "see" you too, Maalri!!

I was wondering who'd be the first to welcome me back. ;)

Need to carve out some time to take in all the latest developments. From the few glances, it's been seriously impressive. Alas, immersing myself again may need to wait until I upgrade this PC.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Welcome back Emirkol :wave:

The innards of the forum are suggesting you haven't been here since early 2012, so I'll mention in passing we released a KotB 1.0 since then. And even a patch ;)

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

Fr. Ted, I saw! Looks great!

It has been quite awhile and I'm glad to be back! :thumbsup:

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Haven't seen you in a while. I'm glad you're back! ;)

10. Emirkol the Chaotic

So am I GA82, so am I! :thumbsup:

11. GuardianAngel82

So whatever happened to.... Gaear? :(

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm still here - administrating the site more or less. :)

13. GuardianAngel82

Yay! :wave:

14. maalri

maalri Immortal

Welcome back to the Fold: Endarire!! You were missed!

15. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Thanks for welcoming me back!

I got tired of DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online) because it was too MMORPG and too little D&D. It was grind, grind, grind to be able to join groups for high-end content. I was also level capped and had my heart broken over how stupid the lore had gotten and how squandered the game's potential was.

I tried doing D&D 3.5 tabletop online, but GMs kept leaving. (Not because I was rude, but because they were busy.) Thus, Temple of Elemental Evil, a game that I had 'completed' back in the day (Zuggtmoy died and I saw the ending before Verbobonc was fleshed out), was the closest thing I had to a reliable 3.5 game. It didn't demand I ask a hundred or a thousand questions to find out what was legal, who else was playing, and so on. It was simple and straightforward for entry.

Then I played it, having not played the game in about a decade, and got Rickrolled at the Moathouse with my 'optimized' 35 point buy party of Human Druid, Elf Rogue, and Human Sorcerer + Ronald. We didn't have the damage to beat anything worthwhile. I remembered what "Gygaxian" meant and how Gygax did, in fact, made this ToEE module.

I restarted with a duo of Elf Wizard and Human Cleric, all 18s in their stats. They needed them. I did beat Zuggy after about 207 hard saves and about as many quicksaves. I discovered many things, like how spiffy Clerics are, and how great Great Cleave is in this game, and how conventional D&D 3.5 optimization wisdom assumes no one likes using swords or casting fireball. Also, longspears and glaives for the win!

Now, I'm going back through the game in pseudo-Iron Man fashion (link to planning thread) and trying to beat the game on a limited number of lives, including Verbobonc and content I've never played before. So far, fireball is the best spell!

Thanks, all, for welcoming me back! I may be interested in doing online tabletop of 3.5 sometime. (I'm back in school for a teaching credential. Time is a factor.)

Our Host!