Having Trouble with ModPack

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Tails, Jul 24, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Tails

Tails Member

Alright, well let me begin with, I've searched solutions and these issues posted by other people but have not found a viable solution as of yet.

I purchased the D&D anthology from Gamestop, (no CD's just downloads via their GameStop App)
    Included was BGate 1 and 2 (and expansions) Icewind Dale 1 and 2 (and expansions), Planescape Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil.

I had played all but the last 2 previously and was drawn in by ToEE, I very much enjoyed this game, and so I started looking it up online and came across the Co8 Website, very cool stuff, just wish I could try it.

My issue is that, when I install the game via the GameStop App, I cannot change the directory from my Program Files (x86) folder to anything else, be it the other Program Files Folder, my Desktop or anything. Only the default directory seems to work (and the game played fine for me when I did so without any mods).

I can only assume the game is already patched, I tried to patch it anyways and wasn't able to do so.

I then downloaded the first Co8 Modpack 7.8 (not the NC version), when placed in the same directory as the game and run as an administrator I am able to go through the patching process, but when I reach the end and try to run it I receive the Error: You must run ToEEFE X from the Temple of Elemental Evil Root Folder!

from what I understood the Modpack installs a new Temple.DLL and a new ToEE.Exe file so I renamed my old ones before installing to Temple_Old.DLL and ToEE_Old.exe so as to have backups. (Note I have tried this without renaming them as well and recieved similar issues).

when looking at the folder I do not see any new Temple.DLL or ToEE.exe created though, only the old ones I have renamed, also there is no TFE-X or what have you.

Am I supposed to install the loader first? I have downloaded TFE-X-V3.0e-Patchlevel-3 and used this to create the loader (was able to enter the game via the loader, but could not find any of the modpacks when I had done so, I have since deleted it, but can reinstal it whenever. Should I install this BEFORE the modpack? I know the zip file I have does in fact contain the TFE-X file.

Do I need to install the two mod packs seperately? (7.8 standard and 7.8 NC?) or does NC contain everything the standard one has and more?

No anti-virus software is being used currently, using Windows 7.

The ToEE.exe file is 3,360kb (so it's the No-CD version)

why is the modpack not making me a fresh Tower.DLL? is there a way to do this or perhaps install these files individually instead of using the installer? Also when I do have it properly put in, how can I tell?

2. Tails

Tails Member

Alright well I figured out a workaround to get out of the program files (x86) folder with the GameStop App (just had to change it's default directory to something else) instead of changing the directly during the install prompt. When I did this I was able to use the modpack and recieved all the appropriate files. It was likely the intense file protection found within the Program Files (x86) folder in Windows 7. Sorry to have bothered everyone when the fix was just 30 minutes away. (Though I have been playing with trying to get this to work since yesterday, so you can imagine my frustration.)

though my question still stands, do I need to update the game with both the standard and NC packs, or just the larger NC pack if I was all the goodies (I do)

3. XVicious

XVicious Established Member

I would suggest, since you have bought the game and would have
    backup copy rights, try downloading a copy of the game ISO image of CD's using torrent or something simulair

then download and use a stand alone toee.EXE to play the game without the CD.

you could use the ISO's to install the game only, use daemon tools or something

simulair to mount the virtual disks ISO's for the install.

install patch 2, then whatever mod.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This is from the modpack explained sticky thread's troubleshooting section:

So this is most likely an antivirus issue.

I would avoid any homebrew maneuvers to try to get things working, as the modpack contains any (and all) essential files for the game to work properly. Using different ones or skipping some will almost certainly result in problems. The modpack installer is packaged to operate as fluidly as possible to avoid that happening - you really shouldn't need to do anything else. Once you get around problems like file quarantines, things should go smoothly. (They do for the vast majority of our users.)

5. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Just install and activate the NC version of the Co8 Modpack if you want access to everything in the modpack. NC is an acronym for "New Content" - it adds new maps (including Welkwood Bog, Hickory Branch, and the city of Verbobonc), new quests, new NPCs, new monsters (including drow, powerful new undead, and a dragon), new items, and makes the game considerably longer than the vanilla computer game The Temple of Elemental Evil or the standard version of the Co8 Modpack (which mainly just includes bug fixes and rules compliances and significant improvements in enemy A.I. (but all of these are in the NC version as well)).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  6. Demagor

Demagor Member

Hello!

This is odd. I'm running Win 7 Pro 64-bit on my work computer (I have admin rights) and was able to successfully install TOEE from GOG. I tried to get it to run but it would go to a black screen then take me right back to Windows. No movie, no special screens, no error messages, nothing; just game -> black screen -> Windows.

Various research attempts yielded no viable results. I was already running it as Administrator and all other requirements and/or suggestions had been met. Still, no luck.

I see the Co8 ModPack and figure that it could help, so I install it. I go through the process, avoid the Program Files directory, wait for everything to finish and then crank it up.

Exact. Same. Problem.

Game -> black screen -> Windows.

Any suggestions?

7. famn

famn Member

Hm, looks strange. What kind of video card do you have? is it INTEL video card?

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hi Demagor,

Even though you have admin rights, right click on the desktop icon and choose "run as admin", sometimes Win7 will still not give you admin on some programs.

If this allows you to run the game, then right click on the desktop icon and choose properties, under the compatibility tab put a check in the box for "always run as admin" and you won't have to worry about it again.

And welcome to the forum. :)
    Let us know how it works out.

Our Host!