Problem learning endure elements scroll

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Aeroldoth, Mar 24, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Aeroldoth

Aeroldoth Established Member

I have a druid/mage and a mage in the party. The mage learned endure elements at level up, made a scroll, and passed it to the d/m to learn. However, it doesn't show up in the radial menu. They've traded other spells without problem, and it's not that the d/m fails to learn the spell, it's that it doesn't show up at all.

I'm guessing it's because the d/m took druid levels first, and the game thinks he already knows EE since it's on the druid spell table. How can I get the d/m to learn the spell? I'm not taking another mage level.

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Yep, because your spellcaster knows the spell as a druid spell, it is preventing you from copying an arcane spell scroll (of the same spell) into your wizard's spell book. You would have to level up as a wizard and choose that spell as 1 of your 2 new wizard spells if you wanted to be able to cast the spell as a wizard spell.
    I'm not sure if the problem is being caused by your character selecting a level in the druid class before ever selecting a level in the wizard class.
    The problem might just be that if a character knows the spell as a divine spell or as a sorcerer spell, then the character can't copy an arcane spell scroll (of the same spell) into the wizard's spell book.
    Or, less likely, the problem might be that this computer game considers a multiclass spellcaster's class that begins with a letter that is earlier in the alphabet as being the character's primary spellcasting class, which prevents the character from using metamagic feats or copying spell scrolls for any of the character's other spellcasting classes that begin with a letter that is later in the alphabet. For example, if a character is a druid/wizard, then the character's primary spellcasting class is druid because the letter "d" is before the letter "w" in the alphabet.

I experienced exactly the same problem when I had the NPC Pishella in my party. Pishella is a sorcerer/wizard. When I tried to copy a wizard spell scroll into Pishella's spell book, there was no radial menu option to copy the spell. The problem was caused by Pishella already knowing the spell as a sorcerer spell, but since I was only levelling her up as a sorcerer, she couldn't learn the level 1 wizard spell that I wanted her to learn.

I wish that Pishella was changed to be either a pure sorcerer or a pure wizard, because I would be far more inclined to recruit her more often if she wasn't such a poor character build.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Yes, that is why I ignore her.

4. Aeroldoth

Aeroldoth Established Member

I think this may be correct. I used the console to add a druid level to my mage, and the druid table appeared before the wizard table in his spell options, even though it was taken after. So alphabetizing classes seems to be the issue.

I tried lowering the d/m wis below 10 to see if that would help but, no dice. Guess it's something to be wary of in the future.

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2455

Read posts 8 11 12 71 72. They explain why Pish was made a sor/wiz (enough wiz's in the town already, no other sor besides Darley, and neither her nor burne knew she had an innate knack for magic (sor) when she came to be a wiz.

Lastly, let me give you a TREMENDOUS thank you for writing and maintaining your help guide!!

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8742

That took a lot of time, and I, for one, appreciate the effort you've put into it.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Here here, gazra_1971 has been a constant resource and a great boon to this forum for quite a while. :thumbsup:

6. Stohrm Knightforger

Stohrm Knightforger Dwarven Cleric

So, is there a cheat code that will allow us to bypass this problem? I have a Cleric/Druid/Wizard that scribed scrolls that my Wizard can't copy (because the option doesn't show up in her radial menu) ; and, as mentioned, he is unable to add known spells to his spellbook from her.

Our Host!