Co8 New Content: War of the Golden Skull

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I think the XP boost is a feature, not a bug. It helps larger parties get to 20th level without endless random encounters.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's an interesting idea but I haven't had time to think about anything but HB over the last several weeks.

3. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Thanks for the replies, guys. My own take is that the XP is a bit of bug- in the past I was playing WotGS early (around lvl 11-12 iirc- so 6th level spells) and levelling up so much that I finished with or close to having 9th level spells, which I barely had chance to use in the game. Last time I started on 17th after raising Ronnie's folks and barely broke sweat, and ended up one-shotting two patrols with Weird, so I think it has to come quite early and not give huge amounts of XP (I tend to run 5-6 PC parties though, so I see Daryk's point- perhaps my next go should be 8 PC to slow advancement a bit).

4. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

My experience is that larger parties just make it easier though. I think the key is to try to bring down the experience given, but I personally wouldn't do this by turning it into 1 long melee as it becomes a chore and more vulnerable to a crash.

I'd focus efforts on finding ways to make them more tough without giving out more experience: more pre-buffing of the soldiers for one thing, some potions and disposable items like magic ammo, or items that are not dropped - I presume none of those get into the xp calculation. I particularly like the idea of pre-buffing. An army invading would have it's boosters already up.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

And the other NC leader type fights buff before hand, definitely a good point.

6. relic

relic Established Member

Anyone know how to un-charm NPCs? In the first battle with Wakefield, both Otis and Spugnoir were charmed and started attacking me. I couldn't figure out how to negate the charm. I suppose I could have hit them with non-lethal damage, but wouldn't they wake back up charmed? I ended up killing both, but I did not get the Butcher of Hommlet rep.

7. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Yeah, I HATE it when an enemy charms one or more of the characters in my party! Unless you have a caster who is capable of successfully casting Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic, or Break Enchantment at your charmed characters during the combat, you really are screwed!

8. relic

relic Established Member

Thanks for the tip, Gazra.

9. frago

frago Member

Hi there
    im doing the evil path of the wotgs, choose the option to join with the hextoria, wakefield is joined up.
    The question is: and now what have to do? hommlet streets are fullfilled of hextorian fighter, (like defender law part), but were is the enemy? all buildings are empty (the burne castle too) :(

10. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

During the War of the Golden Skull, the good NPCs and soldiers in Hommlet are all standing in the cellars (underground levels) of the main buildings (i.e. the cellar of the Inn of the Welcome Wench, the dungeon of Burne's Guard Tower, one of the levels in the Church of St. Cuthbert, Jaroo's Grove, etc.).

11. frago

frago Member

TY a lot Gazra :thumbsup:
    can i ask 1 more question? Yep
    the option Clean Game Cache On Startup from Front-End X is still present in v.8.01? dont finded yet

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Clean game cache on start up is now a default setting and is automatically turned on.

13. maalri

maalri Immortal

I do believe you can also Charm them back onto your side. I did that with the Balor encounter, when he Charmed my Pally. I just kept using Zaxis to charm the Pally back to my side.

14. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Killing the enchantress also seems to do the trick, btw.

15. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

It doesn't even do that. In just played the 8.0.1 WotGS: Defender with a level 16 party of six and barely got one and a half levels out of it (without actually leveling). Even with quarry I couldn't make it to 18. Unfortunately there is nothing else left to do before the demigods, and I'm short 6000 xp.

Our Host!