Error in trip implementation(or improved trip, not sure which)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by dannyboy, Sep 17, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-v35--6/improved-trip--1587/

"( Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 96)

Benefit
    You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to trip an opponent while you are unarmed. You also gain a +4 bonus on your Strength check to trip your opponent. If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn't used your attack for the trip attempt. For example, at 11th level, Tordek gets three attacks at bonuses of +11, +6, and +1. In the current round, he attempts to trip his opponent. His first attempt fails (using up his first attack). His second attempt succeeds, and he immediately makes a melee attack against his opponent with a bonus of +6. Finally, he takes his last attack at a bonus of +1."

This means that Tordek should get 3 trip attempts when activating a trip action(+11, +6, +1).

If he trips with the first attempt(assuming he doesn't fail completely), he should get 3 attempts to hit and do damage.
    If he trips with the second, 2.
    If with the third, 1.

In the current patch of co8, Tripping only allows for 1 regardless of the number of attacks left or the improved trip feat.

I know I'm quoting for Improved trip, but shouldn't it apply to both of them?

From the 3.5e SRD:
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Improved_Trip

"Prerequisites
    Int 13, Combat Expertise.
    Benefit
    You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to trip an opponent while you are unarmed. You also gain a +4 bonus on your Strength check to trip your opponent.
    If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt.
    Normal
    Without this feat, you provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to trip an opponent while you are unarmed.
    Special
    At 6th level, a monk may select Improved Trip as a bonus feat, even if she does not have the prerequisites.
    A fighter may select Improved Trip as one of his fighter bonus feats."

I don't see anything here under normal about losing your normal attacks in the attempts.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

An attempted trip is your attack, at least that's how we've always played in my weekly PnP game.

3. short

short Member

Tripping works correctly in this game as far as I know, but you have to first select "Full Attack" and then "Trip Attack" for the individual attacks. I did a couple of tests and everything seemed to work fine here, including the "free" attack from improved trip.

4. outdrack

outdrack Member

Might as well ask, in this computer rpg, can you use trip as an AOO...

I recall scouring the web and finding some mentioning of it in the 3.5 ruleset.

Cause it'll be pretty neat to trip an archer just as he about to shoot me

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  5. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Hmm. Yea, I guess that's how you have to do it. Thanks.

As far as I know, an AoO is something that happens prior to the action itself. So I don't think IT would allow a trip attempt on an already-downed opponent. But no, it doesn't work in CO8.

6. outdrack

outdrack Member

Well, after doing more research... you can use definitely grapple as an attack of opportunity. (Also probably trip too, since thats a unarmed melee attack)

It would've been awesome if those frog at the beginning of the game tongue you as you run past them. Or better, control them and do that in the moathouse

But I understand why this can be overlook, I do wish this is implemented though :(

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  7. sirchet

I am yet to play in a session where a DM allowed something other than a normal attack as an attack of opportunity.

An AoO is almost a reflex type of attack because the opponent has dropped his guard for a split second while focusing on something other than the combatant directly engaged in battle with him.

8. ShadyElf

ShadyElf Member

I like to think of an AoO as preparing to do something mentally, in advance, to take advantage of that drop in an opponent's guard.

9. sirchet

That makes sense, maybe I've always had really mean DMs. :)

Our current one has his own crit table we roll on if we fumble and ouch, it's not pretty.

10. ShadyElf

ShadyElf Member

Luckily, I haven't had many of those DMs luckily. The last one though...we went up against these custom creatures rolling 3d6's for damage...at level 3.

And then she tried to tell us they were a CR 1/2. :dizzy:

Our Host!