Dagger of Venom

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by bariumdose, Jun 11, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. bariumdose

bariumdose Member

Does anybody know how to activate the dagger of venom's poison effect? I try selecting it from the radial menu but it doesn't do anything. Once by accident, I got it to work, but I've never been able to replicate the effect.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

IIRC, it adds poison damage if the 'to hit' roll is a natural 20. How much damage this causes, I do not know. Check out the roll history (little blue d20 icon) after fighting with it equipped, and it should list everything that happens as a result of combat. The natural 20 should be a critical hit too, so it's probably going to do a lot more damage anyway.

3. Ki Rin Ryu

Ki Rin Ryu Member

in otherwords its a waste of time :) use a real weapon :p

4. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

I remember that it has an option from the radial menu, but it was consuming movement and it is not a free action, so I use it only when I have not a dagger +2

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

you can activate the venom function outside of combat and it stays active untill it's discharged or the end of your next combat - I think.

6. bariumdose

bariumdose Member

Thanks for your help. Yes, I figured out on my own that you need to select the DoV outside of combat to prep it. I was so happy I got to poison one of the temple priests! hehe

7. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

In case anyone wants to know and does a search; The dagger contains Quasit poison DC 13, initial 1-4 dex damage, secondary (10 rounds later in pnp) 2-8 dex damage if a 2nd saving throw fails.

8. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I usually just sell these and craft other stuff, since they seem to fetch a lot - something like 15,000 gold if I recall.

9. Sanctuary

Sanctuary Constitutionalist!

^^ Yep...since the poison is sooo weak, it's really not worth using it and it does fetch good $$$. ^^

10. pblack476

pblack476 Established Member

Is this still accurate for this weapon? does it only work on a natural 20, or any critical hit will do? And the poison is still the same?

If the poison actually did something useful a keen DoV could in fact be a great weapon. And unique in its effects.

DoV are my favorite D&D weapons and a rogue dual weilding enchanted ones would be awesome.

11. relic

relic Established Member

It works how Allyx and hellblazer said: When you have the DoV equipped, select it using the radial menu outside of combat. The next time you use the DoV in combat, it will do quasit poison damage: 1d4 dex damage if miss save against DC 13; if miss 1st save, 2nd save shortly thereafter for an additional 2d4 dex damage.

But once you hit with the DoV, you'll have to select it again using the radial menu -- which takes an action in combat.

12. pblack476

I just used the DoV in the Nulb house ambush...

I did not score critical hits with it and still poisoned the thugs. My guess is that it really just rolls the DC 13 check on every hit.

13. relic

relic Established Member

I'm currently playing KotB, and there's only 1 Dagger of Venom in the game, so I wasn't really able to test the DoV. But I do know a critical hit has nothing to do with a DoV releasing its poison; it's all about activating it using the radial menu.

14. pblack476

I got weird behaviour with it now.

I managed to poison 2 ogres in the same fight without "reloading" the dagger. I have a suspicion that if you activate the dagger multiple times, you can benefit from multiple poisons. But I'm not sure about that, only that I DID activate it multiple times before that fight "just to be sure" and got multiple hits.

EDIT: Could not replicate this behavior anywhere else. Dunno what caused it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
Our Host!