Broken Tower Lareth goes hostile

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by edmortimer, Aug 31, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. edmortimer

edmortimer Occupy Wall Street

What are the conditions that have to be triggered for Broken Tower Lareth to turn hostile?

I am running chaotic evil (testing for modding a CE quest line) and being real 'good' about living in the Temple and treating it like 'home'. But I've modded several .dlg files in order to move the story along so I'm not registering a bug -- but Lareth went hostile on me.

I had just cleared the Greater Temple bugbears out of the NE corner room by the storerooms on Level 2 -- is he part of the Greater Temple faction when he's at the Broken Tower?

I has also rested in the Broken tower the previous time in -- and my rest was interrupted by a RE (3 bugbears) that did NOT go hostile. I left the Broken Tower at that point. Did the effects of that RE make Lareth go hostile?

If it's the rest area not being a rest area (the tent icon did not go green, but then again it doesn't for Wonnilon's area either), then I guess it's a bug I didn't introduce.

A couple notes:

The Antonio's Mace Quest is still active , if anyone has a question about that. I mention it only because the walkthrough still lists Antonio's Mace as possibly being part of a defunct quest.

The whole Feldrin-Brunk interplay is unworkably buggy -- but only because of their KOS posture that doesn't allow for the dialogue to control the situation (and, of course, the dialog needs expanding to make it work right), and even once you get around that, kill Feldrin and get (a charmed) Brunk to converse with -- you don't get athe barracks as a rest area, and Brunk goes hostile whenever he sees you. I tried this scenario several different ways, and even an untouched, uncharmed Brunk goes hostile though his dialogue says the opposite. I haven't investigated the these .dlg files with a fine-tooth comb yet, so maybe the fix is easy. I have to sit down with the Faction info and rest area info and read it all.

Just FYI, I'm running a CE party through investigating all the plots and options available, constructing a storyline and path through it all. My .dlg mods on this runthrough have been minimal -- simply adding a few dialogue options and skill checks. My aim is to see what is doable already in-game, and then mod the .dlg files around that to create a story and plot, modding some NPCs to be recruitable and expanding their possible interactions, making already recruitable ones (like Oohlgrist) more plot related, using the prisoners in a new way (interrogation & execution -- works great with Wonnilon's .dlg as is), adding new quests and options for quests already there. In short, I'm trying to mod a complete CE plotline without disturbing what's in place, and without making the game do something it's not already doing (or supposed to do).

Anyway, I'm rambling . . . so . . .

2. edmortimer

Tried to go in a few more times and, yes, it is the RE that triggers Lareth and the Broken Tower Brigands to go hostile. The RE came in, interrupted the rest but did not start fight. I left. Come back in . . . and I guess it's a spot skill issue . . . sometimes Lareth goes hostile immediately, sometimes a couple of the Brigands go into their fighting stance, but I'm still able to trade with Lareth, but after closing the barter window everyone goes hostile. Then I had one where I could clearly see the bugbears (they were all in among my party), and right before everyone went hostile one of'em turned to face a PC and went into its fight stance.

So, anyway, REs in the Broken Tower (and Brunk's Barracks) when supposed to be safe. Is it just me? Or has anyone else had REs in the Broken Tower?

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Do you mean the tower with the spider and the chest?

If that's the one, I just rested there and it was fine in my game, NG play through.

4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

No, he's at the Temple itself, not the moathouse.

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The tower thing should be easily fixable.

I have some suspicion of what's wrong with Brunk, may be related to the 'sucker punch' bug where NPCs who break combat while doing an AoO triggering action, get struck by PCs and cause trouble for the scripting... could that be the case?

Either way I'll look into it next weekend. The CE thing sounds cool :) btw what happened to the gnome mod?

6. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

While playing all the alignments in 8.01 I've had that happen to me- so I'm guessing that there is something about RE that breaks Lareth's acting as a shopkeeper or resting in the tower...

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Ok, the Broken Tower was fixed easily enough, fix attached. (Also tweaked the availability of high-level REs to appear a little later)

As for the Brunk / Feldrin intrigue, that requires an entire overhaul to make sense.

I think Troika originally followed the module layout and placed Brunk / Feldrin in separate rooms, but united the room into the big one it is now at some point. Otherwise the dialogue is very bizarre, because they each act as if the other is not within earshot of the other, and Brunk's DLG has no indication of occurring after hostilities have commenced.

For this to make sense, you'd have to stage circumstances where Brunk can be met on peaceful terms (I think charming him mid-battle is a bit too rare an event to be a good fit). There's a nice little hook in the module that could be followed up on:

Attached Files:

8. edmortimer

Thank you!

I plan on getting the Brunk/Feldrin (and other Temple scenarios) working. I am modding a Chaotic Evil questline that will bring together an interactive storyline through to Zuggtmoy without having to associate overmuch (or at all) with the Lawful & Good elements of the game except to fight them. I'm only fleshing out what is already there -- either stated or hinted but also either not implemented or implementation is broken, and creating an Chaotic Evil environment for the characters to live in.

I am about 2/3 done with the 'first chapter' -- everything (Deklo, Welkwood, Emridy, Moathouse) up to Lareth joining the party. It was definitely a lot more than I originally thought to piece it together (and it may still be more so i may only be half-way done with the 1st chapter ;) ).

I played it through 8.1.0 NC un-modded, using work-arounds to get passed the broken parts (like Feldrin-Brunk), so i know what I want to do is not only possible, but is already doable -- it's just not supported by the dialogue & etc. So what I'm doing is actually just fixing what is already there and finishing what was already started (or was considered a cosmetic gratuity, if'n ya know what I mean).

Our Host!