useless skills, feats for NPCs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Aug 16, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I realize that social skills are useless for NPCs but, aside from wizards, is Spellcraft useless as well. My PCs don't have ranks in this skill, whereas Pishella and Y'dey have max ranks. I always see "________ casts an unknown spell." Since apparently they cannot ID the spell, doesn't that mean they can't counterspell it? Y'dey has Improved Counterspell. Is this totally useless for an NPC?

Let me know if someone has a different experience or a different warning

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Can't say that I've ever seen a need for Counter Spell/Improved Counter Spell- Ready vs Spell has always been more useful IMO. The Spellscraft skill seems to be mainly used for learning spells from scrolls (or maybe scribing them- something I've never done). If you aren't using wizard type player characters I'd say you could ignore it altogether, as it seems to do nothing for your NPC's.

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Isn't Spellcraft used when scribing spell scrolls into your spellbook? Granted, you can just save and retry but there is a use.

4. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

On contraire, mon ami, Counterspell/Improved counterspell is very useful ( one tactic I sometimes employ is to have a secondary wizard with the sole mission in life to counterspell the enemy casters!) . Also, Spellcraft is useful to Clerics to automaticaly Counterspell ( if you have ranks in Improved Counterspell, especially ;) )

5. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Yes, I agree it is useful, but can NPCs do a counterspell if their spellcraft (doesn't appear) to be working?

Our Host!