Best Armor for High Dex Druid?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sonofliberty, Feb 11, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Right now I am using +3 studded leather with a +3 elvish shield. There used to be some good armors for sale in Nulb. Were they removed from the game?

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Moon-Ivy Armor is what you may be looking for.

AC: +4
    Max Dex: +6
    Weight: only 5 pounds, light armor

I'm not sure if it can be enchanted though.

For a low-dex druid, Dragonhide Plate is identical to Full Plate Armor, except it is made of flesh so a druid can wear it too.

Both of these are available at Ah-Fong's, though he only has them in stock about 50% of the time. So if it's not there you need to step out of his shop, "pass time" for a week while he restocks, then come back in and check again.

They are both also very expensive too, well over 10,000 gold each.

3. sonofliberty

Moon Ivy can no longer be enchanted. :( There used to be masterwork versions, but I never see them anymore.

4. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

Moon-Ivy can no longer be enchanted, though some the versions make up for it by having special spore effects.

I've been using Scale Leather Armor instead.

5. sonofliberty

Studded leather gives me a possible extra dex bump +5 vs +4 iirc. I also get a free set of masterwork armor.

6. Vexagar

Vexagar Member

I'm surprised Druids are allowed to wear studded leather; can the studs be made with non-metal?

1lv Monk dip is a possible alternative, especially if you buff your wisdom high as well (28 = + 9ac, max bonus I believe?). Stacks with dex but is not lost when flatfooted.

7. marc1967

In the 3.5 rules they can't, but in the computer game they can.

The reason is that the game prevents a druid from wearing anything made from metal (a protos.tab entry set to mat_metal), and technically while there IS metal in studded leather armor and the druid shouldn't be able to wear it, the proto entry describing the material of studded leather armor is set at "mat_flesh", so the druid can sneak in on.

8. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Best combo is masterwork padded amour enchanted to +3 with +5 bracers of defense, max dex bonus is 8. :thumbsup:

9. sonofliberty

I am currently using +5 bracers, +3 ring of prot, gloves of Dex +6 and a +3 elvish shield. AC 30. I can't dip into Monk since she is NG in alignment

10. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

As I recall, there's a +4 Ring of Protection somewhere, and what are you using for a Natural Armor bonus? If your amulet slot is being used for Wisdom, you can still get the tattoos from Mother Screng for +2.

11. Vexagar

Vexagar Member

Don't forget Barkskin spell, +2 or more natural armour that lasts awhile.

12. sonofliberty

No natural armor, forgot about that. I do use the amulet of wis +6, if I didn't I would use a periapt of wound closure like for my fighters. Does seneshock sell a wand of barkskin? My druid is mainly the summoner, with a secondary MOS of artillerist(holy/shock longbow +3, call lightning, flamestrike etc...) and a tertiary function of guarding the wizard. AC didn't even become an issue until "orc season". She had been wearing the studded leather since welkwood bog, and had the elvish shield before then.

13. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

In my mind, the tattoos beat Barkskin (even a wand) because you don't have to remember to cast anything... they're always "on".

14. marc1967

You don't need to craft and make and amulet out of it and steal a necklace slot to use it effectively.

Whenever I have a druid, her 2nd level slots are permanently occupied by Barkskin till the end of the game. Step one before entering the dungeon is everyone gets a Barkskin. It's duration is long enough to last an entire trip usually without feeling rushed (10 mins/level). The AC bonus is a game changer at every level of play (+3 at 6th, +4 at 9th, and +5 and 12th). And once she can do the same with Stoneskin, you pretty much have impenetrable players, at least from physical damage.

The most valuable prebuff to me is still Protection from Evil, which stop a whole bevy of dangers.

15. sonofliberty

I agree with the prot from evil. I always prebuff with it for all my PCs. I use stoneskin for only my frontline fighters. I rarely use barkskin, I guess I need to reconsider. I also never shapeshift, never saw the need. I summon meatshields, and then bombard with arrows and/or spells.

Our Host!