Questions about Corl -- SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by relic, Feb 2, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. relic

relic Established Member

Does anyone know if there's a way to keep Corl from being murdered? Other than not starting the quests related to him...

2. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I must have missed this. Who is Corl?

3. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

I think he is the teamster's son who is being threatened to poison Black Jay's sheep. I've done that quest so many times and never seen him murdered. I love when I think I've seen everything but I haven't. How do you get him murdered?

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

It happens when you interrogate him inside his house after talking to him in the field.

5. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

LOL, I have never gone back, oh well maybe next time. Will he still get murdered if Smigmial is dead?

6. relic

relic Established Member

Yes, Corl is the person poisoning Black Jay's sheep, and the teamster's son. After you complete the sheep quest, you can talk to Corl's father about Black Jay's sheep. You can even talk to Corl, but he still denies killing Black Jay's sheep.

Usually a few days after these conversations, Corl ends up dead. In my most recent play through, I waited a long time before I confronted Rannos and Gremag about their involvement with the temple, thinking this may keep Corl from getting murdered. But he was murdered along the same timeline, two or three days after the conversation with his father.

Has anyone ever had any dialogue with someone from Hommlet about what happens to Corl other than his father, who tells you his son is dead? Burne and Rufus say nothing as do Rannos and Gremag.

7. relic

relic Established Member

That's what I'm trying to find out, sonofliberty: What are the parameters surrounding Corl's murder? I think it's just talking to his father after the sheep quest. Once you do that, Corl is murdered within a few days. I don't think it matters whether Rannos, Gremag, and Smigmal are alive or dead.

Makes me wonder WHO actually murders Corl...

8. relic

relic Established Member

I found this little tidbit from 4 or 5 years ago from Gaear:

Actually there never was any way to get Corl to reveal who he was working for, even in vanilla, and it always was the case that you could discover later (given the right conditions) that he had been murdered by Smigmal Redhand's crew, thus pointing the finger at her.

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7684&highlight=corl

9. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Sadly the quest doesn't have that sort of depth - he just dies on cue :p

10. relic

relic Established Member

Thanks, Sitra Achara.

I did just recently take out Smigmal, and here's what she said:

I am Smigmal Redhand, leman of Falrinth, leader of the tower brigands, and master assassin. In fact, I had that snot-nosed Corl poisoned in Hommlet so he could not expose us!

I've always wanted to save the poor kid, but I guess there's no way to do it. :(

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You can tell he's an a-hole from his portrait though, so it's okay if he dies. ;)

Our Host!