Use of gloves/helms/boots/cloaks?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by azziane, Sep 7, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. azziane

azziane Member

Hi all,

I am brand new to the game and, first of, thank you for the co8 mod. I just re-started a party and am going through the shop map, equiping my guys.

I have no idea whatsoever of the effect of, say, a helmet. I want to equip my paladin with a plate-type helmet, but it does not seem to give any AC bonus.

I am familiar with the basics of the D&D ruleset 2nd ed. I just can't remember what armor, other than the chest piece, is good for.

If anyone could explain this to me I would be grateful.

If you have any advice on what to equip myself with as well, I would appreciate that too.

And if this is not the correct forum to ask such questions, my apologies.

2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

The clothing is just decorative, unless it happens to be a Wondrous Item (note the spelling AdG). As per D&D rules (throughout all versions over the past 35 years?), Armor Class (or, more specifically, armor bonus) is derived from the body armor.

As far as which armor to wear largely depends on your characters Dexterity bonus. Most armors have a limitation as to the maximum effect the character's dexterity can be applied to AC.

3. azziane

azziane Member

Thank you.

Another question:

Is there a way to disable Shop map? I did not see it as an option during the co8 5.6 install but I read it was optional.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The shop map (or caravan, as it was in those days) was optional in Co8 5.0.x, but it's not anymore. However, if you don't care to use the shop map, you need only exit it and the regular game will start. You won't have any gear but your clothes though.

5. azziane

azziane Member

I was asking because I thought shopmap was bugged. I figured it was a problem with my install and a re-install fixed it though.

Another question, if I may:

Is there a way to hide? I have a rogue with the skill. I see I can sneak, in the radial menu, but there is no hide option.

Is sneak a combination of hide + move silently? Or is it a passive skill?

And finally - Is there a way to use my rogue to surprise an opponent with a backstab before he sees me? I have seen him do a sneak attack during combat but it seemed random. I gather that it happens randomly if my rogue is not the one targetted by the monster? Or if he is behind?

6. Basil the Timid

Correct! Sneak = Hide + Move Silently

7. Lum Levits

Lum Levits Member

Sneak Attacks, I believe have these three rules.

1- You are invisible or hidden and attack a enemy from any direction.

2- Your enemy is already facing and engaged with a friendly party member and you attack from either the side or rear.

3- You manage to attack the back side of a enemy regaurdless of his engagment.

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

Sounds VERY right.

9. Basil the Timid

Incorrect

Point 3, above: There is no facing in 3.5
    What was mentioned does exist in Unearthed Arcana, but not ToEE

Attacking a non-flatfooted creature from behind will not allow a sneak attack - unless it is also threatened by an ally on a side roughly diametrically opposite from your rogues position (i.e. flanked).

10. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Correct.

The ways to have a Sneak Attack on yer enemy are:

1- You are invisible or hidden and attack a enemy from any direction.

2- Your enemy is already facing and engaged with a friendly party member and you attack from the square in the oposite side, being considered flanking this way.

3- The oponent is flatflooted or in some other way inable to use his Dex. modificator (triped, graped, snared) or it's helpless (sleeping, inconscionous*).

*Inconscionous... My dictionary don't show this word... I was pretty right about this word, but now... Well, I was trying to say"knoked off", right?

11. maalri

maalri Immortal

AdG Do NOT EVER CHANGE :)

Unconscious is the word they were going for.

It does mean - Knocked OUT or asleep, or in negative Hit Points in DnD.

You have my admiration on your learning of English. And my humor occasionally! :poke:

12. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Thanks for this, Maalri!
    (knocked off, knocked out... Damn, english is a lot hard to understand sometimes!)

I'm glad about both! :hug:

13. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Well, you have it easy - Portugese like most the Romance languages has only a couple of root languages (Latin and whatever local dialect existed before the Romans took over the area) but English has so many roots most native English-speaking people can't keep it straight...

You're doing fine, Av_d_G - don't let anyone tell you different. :yes:

14. maalri

maalri Immortal

I second THAT! :yes:

15. Zagig

Zagig Member

LOL AdG, it's hard for a some people here who grew up speaking english. Plus, each region has it's own slang.

You should have heard a group of us laugh when a friend of mine from england talked about gettting "knocked up in the morning"!!!

For those who don't know, in the uk, getting "knocked up" means someone knocks on your door and wakes you up (roughly), whereas in north america it means to become pregnant (am I allowed to use that word here? the FCC isn't going to fine me are they?).

PS It was a male friend.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
Our Host!