Question About Co8 Start (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Anthropoid, Jan 6, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Established Member

Really love this mod! :) Fantastic stuff.

I have a question about how the start of a new game is structured. I'm not sure if what I've encountered is WAD or not. I would imagine anyone who plays the mod and pays any attention will notice this, but I'll put it in spoilers just the same:

There are two piles of gear on the upper floor bedroom of the inn where you start a new game. I picked up everything, kept what my party of seven could use, sold the rest

Added up to ~86,000 Gold Pieces !?!? :yes::)

Not that I'm complaining ;) ToEE is pretty hardcore for starting toons, and having that much bank to play with has made it a bit more like a challenging but survivable endeavour instead of a white-knuckle skin-of-your-teeth daredevil dance with death . . .

If I wanted to NOT take advantage of it I could always use the console to delete the gold, but I'm honestly rather enjoying being a filthy rich level 1 Wizard with 8 or 9 each of my favorite spell scrolls. Being able to pay for resurrections and disease healing is nice.

But I'm just curious, are these two piles of gear intended?

I also notice that one item I picked up a "Shillelagh" cannot be dropped. I'm guessing it is cursed or something and the ultimate "cost" of cashing in the gear piles will eventually make itself obvious.

Unless the undroppable Shillelagh is a bug? Is it? If it is let me know, but if it isn't don't spoil it for me ;)

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The piles of stuff are bugs. It was there for dev reasons but didn't get removed until a day-later release of the mod, so you still have an outdated version. If you re-download from ModDB or it's mirrors (not Filefront), you'll get a clean version.

All that gear/cash will definitely unbalance the game, but it likely won't break it.

3. Anthropoid

Dang! Now I'm tempted to have to versions of Co8 installed :)

ADDIT: On second thought, I think I'll just run with this "dirty" install I already have. It has been a fun way to get reintroduced to the game to play on 23% Godmode by virtue of having buttloads of cash ;)

I'm an honorable gamer (pretty much) so i think i can trust myself to just ignore those piles of loot . . . well, no one would miss just one or two longswords would they? :)

4. Horsesoldier

Horsesoldier Member

I chose the blunt crossbows (great idea) but they disappeared after one use !!

Oh well - honor was restored.....

5. Anthropoid

I recently switched to my new gaming rig and resintalled everything. I did in fact locate the most up to date download without the piles of loot. Much better not to have to overcome temptation :(

Our Host!