Need help

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by mx32a, Jan 3, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. mx32a

mx32a Member

I don't know where to post this but I can't download the CO8 mod. I have Win8.1 x64 and java is up-to-date. The file won't open, says: unknown format or damaged. please help.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Do you have winrar or 7zip?

The file is in a compressed format and you'll need a compression/extraction program to unzip it.

Here's a link to winrar, I recommend it because it will unzip most formats and you can use the free version forever. WINRAR OFFICIAL SITE

3. mx32a

mx32a Member

I have WinRAR 4.20 (32bit), I just tried WinRAR 64bit version...no change. I open the file with notepad and on top it has this: This program must be run under Win32.

Is that correct, I can't use the mod with x64 OS?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  4. sirchet

Have you tried deleting the file and your download cache, (rebooting your pc will do it the easy way) and then re-download the Modpack.

I've found that sometimes it's better to use one of the mirror downloads.

You should be able to with WINRAR to just unzip the file into your TOEE directory, maybe the file didn't download completely.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sounds like one of the scenarios where the full stops in the name are confusing the OS. Try renaming it something simple like co8.exe then run it.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That's right. Rename the downloaded file to anything.exe and double-click it. It's that easy. ;)

7. sirchet

Is that a Win8 issue?

8. mx32a

mx32a Member

sorry for the delay... I got it working now, thanks for the help guys.

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I had that problem and I am on Win 7.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I don't believe that's the case, as the installation utility comes with the built-in capability of extracting and processing files (which is largely the point of an installer to begin with).

11. sirchet

Are you saying the download is just an .exe file that is not compressed?

EDIT: After checking the download again from ModDB, it does actually come as a standard .exe ready to be double clicked and aimed at your TOEE directory.

Well, looks like I need to mark this day on my calendar for I was wrong again.

The first time I had thought I was wrong but was actually wright, (wright ... get it). heh heh :p

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The installation utility compresses the files and writes them into an executable archive (when we build it for distribution). When the end user executes the installer (double clicks it), it essentially just extracts the archived files, with a few bells and whistles like making desktop icons, etc. It's able to do this without any help from any other programs because it is itself an archiving utility, and in fact the very utility that created that archive.

Perhaps ironically, the major file it extracts is itself an archive, which TFE-X then unpacks en route to activating your Co8 installation. :)

In the days when we distributed the modpack as a .rar archive, you did indeed need to have an archiving utility installed to unpack it.

Our Host!