Bottle throwing items

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BenWH, Aug 8, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Just a question on these - shouldn't flasks of oil, acid and holy water be single use? Purified acid is an awesome weapon, and apart from forgetting to pick it up occasionally, it last for ever, likewise the other bottles. Personally I think these should be single use, miss or hit (and flask of oil needs a higher price). It would also make Bless Water a bit more useful as a a spell!

Just a thought.

Isewein likes this.
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, you're right. I had a tag-along NPC and a kobold throwing the same bottle of acid at ech other yesterday, back and forh, it was pretty silly.

ADD: Can I just add, Holy Water DOES work as a splash weapon! I hit a skel the other day and those nearby (I think they were spawned on top of each other, it was a testing thing) took a point damage each. Came as a shock, as I think its generally believed this doesn't happen in ToEE: but I guess they have to be real close together.

3. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

Since I've never tried it: Can you sneak attack with splash weapons in ToEE?

(The flask rogue (ring of blink (-> any attack is a sneak attack and ranged attacks don't suffer the 20% miss chance) + wand of divine power (at CL 7, 11 or 16) + perfect 2wf (via special ability (feat) -- yes the rules let the rogue snatch any feat with this class feature, even [epic] ones) + acid flasks or alchemist's fire) is a notorious build in pnp.)

4. SenorOcho

SenorOcho Member

One thing I've seen was when I had my rogue wielding a bottle of oil in his off hand (thinking he wouldn't have to dig it out when needed, and could just throw it off-handed). He then proceeded to fight TWF, swinging the bottle in melee.

5. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Do these throwables really work??? I have had them deal subdual damage, no big deal unless one is using holy water vs undead. It dealt subdual damage to a groaning spirit but, of course, the damage was nullified since undead are immune to subdual damage.

6. Solo4114

Solo4114 Member

I used a vial of holy water once on a skeleton. It did something like 6 points of damage. Didn't really seem worth using or lugging around, particularly since holy water doesn't seem to stack.

7. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Established Member

How do you actually use these things?

1. empty out an equipment slot and move the vial there?

or

2. Drag the vial to the "use item" button?

I have in the past used holy water, but for some reason I'm not having any luck using the oil or acid. In fact, I've emptied on right hand then right-clilcked the acid bottle a couple times to try to get it to equip and it seems to just disappear.

8. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I don't use them, but I assume you would use it like a throwing axe. Equip it in your right hand, pick a target, and attack as normal.

9. Anthropoid

I did manage to get my rogue to equip a vial of acid last night. Still, when he threw it, it just completely fizzled :(

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If he missed it will just be laying on the ground where he threw it. I haven't used the acid, but I've thrown a few holy waters.

11. Anthropoid

Yep that explains why I found some holy water vials laying around when I went back to Emridy Meadows :)

12. Shiningted

You found Sirchet's holy water? What are the chances? :blink:

Use acid and oil by just equipping them like a throwing axe or javelin (as said) and then attacking the enemy.

13. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Got a couple related bug reports recently.

Co8 added a script to destroy thrown grenades (such as Holy Water, Flask of Oil, Jaer's Spheres) when they're transferred to the target. This is to correct the vanilla bug where they were treated like normal thrown weapons, which reasonably would reappear on the corpse. (BTW, this only occurs when you use the auto-attack action rather than the explicit radial menu Throw Weapon option).

This script is buggy however. The following sequence will generate the bug:
    1. Move the item within a character's inventory
    2. Transfer it to another party member
    3. Equip it
    Then throwing it will make the projectile disappear, making the game think you aren't using a weapon, thus dealing subdual damage. Also, this causes an issue when saving a game, since the target will have a destroyed item in the inventory, which will be serialized to OBJ_HANDLE_NULL, and hence you will be stuck with that in the inventory.

Furthermore, if you equip it during combat (as in step 3), the item will self destroy.

In the next Temple+ release the root cause bug will be fixed so this script will no longer be necessary. I.e. the Unspecified Attack action will correctly detect grenades and use the D20A_THROW_GRENADE action rather than D20A_THROW, as it does in the radial menu.

You may also want to fix the script for KotB/IWD.

anatoliy likes this.
  14. Shiningted

Will do, thanks.

Our Host!