antivirus bug with System Mechanic Professional

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Baz744, Feb 24, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Baz744

Baz744 Member

Hello,

TOEE was the first module I played with my first gaming group waaaaaay back in the 1980's. Can you even imagine?

For TL;DR types, the meat of my question is bolded below.

Spent a couple of days trying to get the computer game to start on my system using Windows 8., and an NVIDIA Geforce GT 740 graphics card. Finally completely uninstalled my antivirus/utilities program, System Mechanic Professional (SMP). The game started smoothly, and continued to play smoothly long enough for me to create a party, get all my EQ in Co8 shop, and talk to a handful of NPCs in Hommlet before I turned it off.

I know the antivirus bug has been a problem for other players. Does anyone know how to fix it with SMP? I've tried removing the toee.exe file from the quarantine. and listing it and the folder it is in in the program's exclusions list to no avail. It really really hates that toee.exe file, and somehow disables it even when I turn off real time protection and disable all the automated processes SMP lets you disable.

Obviously, I can't do without virus protection for a few weeks until I complete the game. So what am I missing? What else do I have to do to tell SMP that the file is okay, please let me run it, and please don't disable it with your automated processes?

Thanks in advance for all help.

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

The only fix I can offer is to use a friendlier antivirus- I like the Webroot programs myself, or you could try one of the free ones like SuperAntiSpyware or Malware Bytes...

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Some antivirus software is so intrusive that it keeps working even when you've told it not to (pet peeve of mine), so in that case, no, there's no way to get it to stop if it refuses to stop. As stated in our current issues tracker thread, the recommended course of action in those cases is to switch to a different, less ambitious antivirus program. I personally use AVG Free with ToEE all the time with no issues.

4. darkfooger

darkfooger Member

5. darkfooger

darkfooger Member

i would rather apply bud dedicated manual

6. darkfooger

darkfooger Member

7. bespectacled

bespectacled Member

MadLuke likes this.
Our Host!