Traitorous traders!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nitewolf, Sep 27, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. short

short Member

I tried the fight twice and it worked flawlessly both times. That's definitely an improvement. Thanks!

2. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

C is where it usually doesn't work for me. I've only been given that option once. Usually it says something about how I can't prove it was them but I'll be keeping an eye out - or something like that.

The one time I did get the option to provoke their attack I probably failed with F or the 25% check. Once I buy the Nulb house, I rarely ever go to Nulb at all - I probably didn't try enough times.

3. short

short Member

I'm looking through the dialog file for Gremag and you need the assassin's letter in your backpack, in which case the last (bolded) line shows up:
    Code:
    {380}{I certainly wouldn't know what you're talking about. No, I wouldn't. Now are you here to buy something or just make false accusations?}{I certainly wouldn't know what you're talking about. No, I wouldn't. Now are you here to buy something or just make false accusations?}{}{380}{}{game.global_flags[428] = 1}
    {381}{Well OKAY then. Just checking with you. Farewell.}{}{1}{}{0}{game.quests[64].state = qs_botched}
    {382}{I think you're not being completely honest here, Gremag, but I guess I don't know much more than that. I'll be keeping a very close eye on you.}{}{1}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_sense_motive) >= 6 and pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_sense_motive) <= 9}{60}{game.quests[64].state = qs_completed}
    {383}{You're lying, Gremag.}{}{1}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_sense_motive) >= 10}{430}{}
    [b]{384}{What would you say if I had some physical evidence that shows you were complicit in the plot?}{}{1}{anyone( pc.group_list(), "has_item", 11002 )}[/b]{60}{}
    The conversation then jumps to (highlighting the correct choice):
    Code:
    {60}{What?! What ever could you be talking about?}{What?! What ever could you be talking about?}{}{60}{}{}
    [b]{61}{I'm talking about this. [show him the letter you recovered from the assassin]}[/b]{}{1}{anyone( pc.group_list(), "has_item", 11002 ) and game.quests[64].state != qs_completed}{420}{}
    {62}{Good day.}{}{1}{game.quests[64].state == qs_completed}{0}{}
    and
    Code:
    {420}{[You watch as Gremag skims the note, then tosses it back at you dismissively. You see a knife suddenly in his hands.]}{[You watch as Gremag skims the note, then tosses it back at you dismissively. You see a knife suddenly in his hands.]}{}{420}{}{}
    [b]{421}{[continue]}[/b]{}{1}{}{70}{}
    before you finally end up with the an option to attack where the exact quote depends on party alignment:
    Code:
    {70}{I'm getting a little tired of these accusations. If you don't want to trade, then LEAVE.}{I'm getting a little tired of these accusations. If you don't want to trade, then LEAVE.}{}{70}{}{}
    {71}{I'll leave, for now. But know that I'll be keeping a very close eye on you from now on.}{}{1}{}{0}{game.quests[64].state = qs_completed}
    [b]{72}{Enough deception. I'm here to bury you, you filthy lying scumbag. [attack]}{}{1}{game.party_alignment == NEUTRAL_GOOD or game.party_alignment == TRUE_NEUTRAL or game.party_alignment == CHAOTIC_GOOD}{0}{npc.attack(pc)}
    {73}{Enough maneuvering. I'm here to kill you, you ignorant fool. [attack]}{}{1}{game.party_alignment == NEUTRAL_EVIL or game.party_alignment == CHAOTIC_NEUTRAL or game.party_alignment == CHAOTIC_EVIL}{0}{npc.attack(pc)}
    {74}{Enough deceit. I'm here to mete out your sentence, you lawless dog. [attack]}{}{1}{game.party_alignment == LAWFUL_GOOD or game.party_alignment == LAWFUL_NEUTRAL or game.party_alignment == LAWFUL_EVIL}{0}{npc.attack(pc)}[/b]
    So the only condition here is the letter, as far as I can tell. Sense motive >= 10 is also an option, and leads to the same result.

Once you get to F you can just go in and out of your house until they show up as long as you're level 7 or above.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I would think a group like the ambushers would probably be more active in the evening, or very early morning, (before sunrise).

Just a thought. ;)

5. Kharagh

Alright, I just tried this again, and once again it did not work. I have Smigmal's note in my inventory and yet these are my only 3 options when talking to Gremag:
    1. May we barter?
    2. Nothing. Just checking up on you. I'll see you later.
    3. I'm looking for the Master . . . Lareth. Have you seen him or heard from him?

(by the way I already freed Lareth, returned him to the temple, and killed him.)

6. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Did you show Burne the note? He gives you a quest.

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Probably a silly question but, have you "used" the note in your inventory?

8. Kharagh

1. I don't think I did show Burne the note. Is that necessary?
    2. Yes, I have had all of my characters use the note - in multiple places - just in case.

9. pblack476

pblack476 Established Member

I don't know what might be necessary to fix your specific game.

But I never had a problem with them activating combat if I have the note with me OR a high enough sense motive. If I have both, I get both options in dialogue as well. Showing Burne the note is something I never did before, but I also never spared lareth in the Moathouse. That's the one and only thing that is different in your game than all my previous ones.

Our Host!