Where is the Thieve's Guild !!!

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by The Royal Canadian, Mar 20, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    Are there certain "criteria" that you must meet to get contacted by the Thieve's Guild, or that prevent you from joining ( other than being all Lawfull Good Paladins of course ). Here's my situation. I've played this demo 3 times now, and have NEVER been contacted by the Thieves Guild ( the first 2 parties were Neutral Good, my current one is CG ). In an effort to contact the guild, my 4th Level Bard went into the Pub and picked the pockets of all the Mercs, all the members of the Watch ( to include the Bailliff ), and the 3 drunks that are stoned by the fireplace. I then spent 2 nights (in gametime ) waiting (1 HOUR at a time) at the pub, and the "shadowy figure" never showed up !! Is the guild only open to thieves, or does having Two-swords in the party scare off the little wimps ?? This is really beginning to annoy me.
    By the way Ted, I have an answer for my previous Pickpocket question. It looks like the game makes 2 "die-rolls" on a "sleight of hand" attempt: one to see if you are able to
    get your hand into the other persons pocket, and one to determine if you actually remove anything from that pocket. If you manage to remove something from the pocket, the "float line" and the die-roll box will both report success. If you don't remove anything from the pocket, the "float line" will report failure, but the die-roll box will report success.
    TRC

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  2. biobaba

biobaba Member

You should try to simply "take" stuff laying around in the shops and other places.... I didnt do any pick pokets and I am currently running a LG party.. I still got an invitation

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

SPOILER: THE SECRET OF THE THIEVES' GUILD:

Seriously, this is a major spoiler. Only read if you have never encountered the Thieves' Guild and don't know what to do. Normally in a game they will show up during the course of ordinary play without a problem, if that ordinary play involves stealing things.

To get your encounter, you need to do two things:

- you need to steal 3 items flagged 'stolen' from the Keep buildings. Things left lying around in shops, stored in cupboards, and some things on people's persons, are generally flagged 'stolen' and can't be sold to anyone who isn't flagged a 'fence' (a nice little touch built into the ToEE engine but never used in ToEE that I know of). Of course there is a common sense element - things found in people's cupboards or shops will be flagged stolen, things found on corpses in the sewer aren't.

- you need to then have the cat outside the pub fire its first heartbeat 8 times. This means you basically have to access the Outer Bailey map in the general vicinity of that cat 8 times. Coming out of the pub, sewer, inn or Worldmap marketplace landing will all do it once. Over a couple of game days, you should easily achieve 8: this simulates the time that it takes for word to get back to the Guild that someone has been seen stealing, and for them to make discreet enquirires as to who it was.

Or you can just go in and out of the pub 8 times (told you this would be a spoiler).

After that, the next time you come out of the pub (and ONLY the pub) you should encounter someone from the Guild. Listen very carefully to what he has to say, since he will tell you about the next encounter.

4. mallevolan

mallevolan Member

i have followed these instructions-RE: thieves guild. ie: 3 stolen items, in/out pub 8 times.
    normally i would never even look at a walkthrough, but i told my guildmates that there was a chance to rise to the head of a thieves guild. i have been through this so many times, i've lost count.
    first question: what is a cat heartbeat?
    second question: where the fook is that fookin cat? :)
    i'll sic M's dog on the fooker?

kidding aside, i'm someone who told a lot of people about computerised gygax. circle of eight is his legacy. sort this out for us, please.

5. Shiningted

You can't see the cat? That's a good sign, it tells us you are playing the latest version. :p Seriously, don't worry about the cat, that's just a behind-the-scenes internal thing (not sure why I even wrote that above, actually).

Let's do this critically: can you let me know

game.global_vars[11]

game.global_vars[12]

game.global_vars[45]

(To get those values just open the console and type them exactly as is and hit 'enter'. Or 'return' as we used to say, since that's what we want - we want a return).

6. mallevolan

mallevolan Member

hi ted. this is the result:

traceback (most recent call last):
    File"<string>",line 1, in?

thanks for your prompt reply.

7. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

That's a sign you made a typo. Check to make sure you have every dot, underscore, and bracket in place. You should get a numeric response for each of those like a 0 or a 4.

8. Shiningted

Sorry Mallevolan but if you could give it another try that'd be great.

Has anyone else just completed the Thieves Guild without incident in1.0.1?

9. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

No, I usually take the full membership or nothing option and then slaughter the guild for their gear.

10. Shiningted

Yeah, but the guy shows up to offer you membership ;) Malevollan isn't getting that, but as long as it's working we can help him. (Thanks for responding though SoL).

11. sonofliberty

Ahh, yes I get the offer every time. He is stealing 3 items and going in and out of the pub at night? Works for me.

12. sonofliberty

I don't know if it matters, but I steal items from 2 different shops. I steal the great hammer and bastard sword from the smithy and I steal the morningstar from the guy who buys wolf pelts. Why waste money buying weapons at the start? lol

13. mallevolan

mallevolan Member

hi ted. yeah i made a typo. Doh!
    here are the results:

thanks man.

14. Shiningted

Ok, those mean:

You've stolen 16 items (you crim!)

The event already triggered.

The counter for you going in and out is at 11 (it's "don't bother any more because the event triggered" number).

Hmmmm... that shouldn't happen ;) Possibly something to do with Flay, since coming out of his building may put you in range of the cat (his building is a new position since the cat was made). I'll test that.

To fix this:

- go into the pub

- enter in the console

game.global_vars[12] = 0

game.global_vars[45] = 8

and the encounter should happen when you step out the door :) Let me know either way.

15. mallevolan

mallevolan Member

that worked perfectly!
    thanks oh shining one.
    you are a star!

Our Host!