How to install alongside The Circle of Eight Mod

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by TheSaber007, Sep 14, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. TheSaber007

TheSaber007 Member

I apologize for asking this but could not find any direct answer to this question in any of the FAQ's, per se.

I currently have the gog version of Temple of EE installed on a drive and the program itself to Temple of Elemental Evil.

I have installed The Circle of Eight Mod v8.1.0. I have activated this mod.

No other mods/addons are installed.

I am unclear as to how I install KotB. Do I need to install another copy of ToEE? What are the steps I should take to have both of these great mods/modules/addons on my computer.

Thanks again for your hardwork on the KotB, been watching for it to be released with anticipation. I remembered this module, as it was the first D&D module I got when I first got into D&D. Ironically I never did get to play the module or GM it. I still have my stack of modules, the B-Series, and many more. My brother who was going to be the player sort of flaked on me (something he did with almost every game I bought - Twilight 2000, World War III, Assault: Boots and Saddles, (he bought Megatraveller - but then lost interest), Top Gun (another one he bought then lost interest), Harpoon, Robotech, and maybe 2 or 3 I can't remember, so I have a large box of all but untouched/unused RPG/Counter/etc.) Oh he is younger than me, so guess I couldn't influence him as his big brother :(

I tried to get into the RPG spirit but have never been able to as the act of RP with others seems so weird. Thankfully computer games allows me to play the games of my youth, so I am a RPG-Liter.

2. chano

chano Established Member

Hi Saber,

You just install KOTB and activate it via front end.
    You have to choose which module to play but you can switch back and forth i guess by activating the different modules, meaning the save games remain where they are eventhough you activate toee after playing kotb

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Here's the installation instructions as per the lead developer;

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

STEP 1: INSTALL ATARI PATCH 1

If your version of ToEE is not pre-patched, install Atari Patch 1. It is available here: Ftp.infogrames.net

STEP 2: INSTALL ATARI PATCH 2

If your version of ToEE is not pre-patched, install Atari Patch 2. It is available here: Ftp.infogrames.net

STEP 3: DO NOT INSTALL ATARI PATCH 3

There is no need to install Atari Patch 3. The only additional feature Atari Patch 3 contains is a fix for the infamous DirectX 9.0c looting bug, but this particular issue is also fixed in the Keep on the Borderlands module. If you have installed patch 3 already or if your game comes pre-patched with Atari Patch 3, dont worry. It doesn't matter.

STEP 4: INSTALL THE KEEP ON THE BORDERLANDS

Double click the Keep on the Borderlands Setup utility to begin installation. When prompted to choose an installation location, make sure to select the location where your game is installed. The default location as defined by The Keep on the Borderlands is C:/Temple of Elemental Evil. If you are using a modern operating system like Windows 7 or 8, it is best to avoid installing to the Program Files directory, as those operating systems may not allow unrestricted access there. The Keep on the Borderlands and its installation utility require unrestricted access. The default installation location for most versions of ToEE is generally in Program Files. We recommend you change this and install to the root directory of your C: drive.

Follow all on-screen promps. After the module has been deployed, the Circle of Eight front end utility, TFE-X, will automatically launch.

If this is a new installation, TFE-X will perform the necessary operations to convert your installation for use with The Keep on the Borderlands. Be patient; this can take some time. When TFE-X is finished, it will report the status to you in a popup window. IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS POPUP NOTIFICATION WINDOW, THE CONVERSION IS NOT COMPLETE. DO NOT CTRL-ALT-DEL OUT OF THE TFE-X APPLICATION. WAIT FOR THE POPUP WINDOW. Next, select The Keep on the Borderlands from the TFE-X menu and click 'activate.' This can also take some time. WAIT FOR THE POPUP WINDOW TO TELL YOU THAT THE MODULE ACTIVATION IS COMPLETE. DO NOT CTRL-ALT-DEL OUT OF THE TFE-X APPLICATION. After the module has been activated, you may customize various options through TFE-X and launch the game.

If this is an existing front end installation to which you are simply adding The Keep on the Borderlands, simply select The Keep on the Borderlands from the TFE-X menu and click 'activate.' This can also take some time. WAIT FOR THE POPUP WINDOW TO TELL YOU THAT THE MODULE ACTIVATION IS COMPLETE. DO NOT CTRL-ALT-DEL OUT OF THE TFE-X APPLICATION. After the module has been activated, you may customize various options through TFE-X and launch the game.

Version 4 of TFE-X will give you feedback on the progress of conversion and module activation. Pay attention to this feedback and no not interrupt any of TFE-X's operations.

STEP 5: IF YOU ARE INSTALLING AN ADD-ON MODULE

If you are installing an add-on module like a patch or some other specialized mod, double click its setup utility and follow all on-screen promps. Be sure to select the correct game directory as detailed above in Step 4. Launch TFE-X after installation, click Add-On Packs, select the add-on pack you want to install, and click install. WAIT OUT THE INSTALLATION.

The module that you are adding the add-on pack to must be activated and selected in the TFE-X module menu prior to activating the add-on pack.

You may only have one add-on pack activated at a time.

We hope you enjoy The Keep on the Borderlands!

- The Circle of Eight team

If you are using the GoG version it is already patched up to Atari patch #2 and no more Atari patches are needed.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'll just add that with completely separate installs on your machine (in different folders etc) you can have both games going. Otherwise you have to deactivate one and activate the other. Don't forget to use the 'Backup Saves' button before changing the active game, and hope you have fun :)

5. chano

chano Established Member

Wow, did not know you could have both Active at the same time.
    Wrong info from my side, sorry about that.

Do you have 2 different frontends ?

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The info's actually right, chano, Co8 only recommends proper switching of modules via TFE-X.

7. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

When I have installed both in the same folder because I´m playing only one of them at a time - can I then delete one of the icons from the desktop?
    Currently there is the "Co8 modpack" and "KotB" icon (that look both identical and both start the frontend, so I assume that I could just delete one and the other works for both?

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'd say yes, if you are switching between the two with one copy of TFE-X (as you should be).

Our Host!