Weapon properties, crafting

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Major_Blackhart, Jan 5, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

With regards to certain weapon properties and materials, I was wondering if it were possible to craft some weapons with certain properties and damage capabilities.
    Examples of weapons with specific properties: The Silver Sword of Chaos, The Silver Mace, and Iolo's Joy.
    Iolo's Joy is an awesome weapon, have used it with a rogue that had maxed out dex and dex+6 gloves to awesome effects. Overall, a joy of a weapon. Ha!
    But besides that, it does sonic damage. Is there a way to implement the ability to craft that in? I haven't yet been able to craft it, so I'm wondering if it's even craftable.
    The Silver Sword of Chaos is a silver weapon, letting it do extra damage against wearwolves and such. Silver mace is likewise silver. Is there a way to add either some silver weapons to the game or perhaps add it as a crafting option of some sort?

Overall, love it all so far, though I feel like there are more crafting restrictions this time around than before. Could only get on my great hammer +3, Holy, Icy Burst and Flaming Burst (the critical effects). Tried to get thunderous burst and it won't let me. I was always thinking the restriction was like 7 or 8 as max. Did it get reduced to 6 or is there a limit for criticals?
    Note- This is something that popped up in 7.0. In 6.1 I had no problem making a +3 Lawful Holy weapon with at least 2 elemental properties.

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Alignment and Burst effects count for +2 rather than +1 in PnP, so perhaps they do in TOEE as well? What you have is a +9 weapon, and adding another burst would push it over the +10 limit...

Someone will need to confirm if that's indeed the way it works, it's been a while since I tried to craft anything that strong.

3. deuxhero

deuxhero Member

While on the subject of new enchantments we'd like to see, "Twilight" (PHB2, reduce ASF by 10%, so Mithirl shirts have no penalties) is something I'd like to see.

4. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Ausdoerrt is completely correct. The reason that I know this is from a previous discussion in this forum:

Originally posted by florian1:
    You currently can't add the sonic damage property or the silver property to weapons that you can enchant in this computer game. I don't know whether it's possible for the Circle of Eight modders to be able to add these 2 properties to the crafting list in the game. The following are the only properties that you can currently add to weapons and armour when you enchant them in this computer game:

A Werewolf has DR(10/Silver) and a Jackalwere has DR(5/Silver). This means that a silver weapon will do normal damage to these monsters, but any non-silver weapon will do 10 less damage than normal to a Werewolf and 5 less damage than normal to a Jackalwere each time a non-silver weapon strikes such monsters.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  5. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

In my last game I aquired the Silver Sword of Chaos and wanted to make it a +3 holy weapon. However after clicking on create and paying the cost the sword still behaved like a +1 weapon! The name did change and said "Silver Sword of Chaos +3", but I didn't get the additional bonus to attack rolls when I equiped it. I reloaded several times and tried it without holy, then with only +2 - it was always the same result. Is that because of the swords special ability? In the crafting menu on the side where the added enchantments are displayed there was one empty line. I suppose that was the Free Movement enchantment...

6. Pusilanimous

Pusilanimous Member

Sorry Mensch86, don't have an answer for you, but while this thread is open I have a question.

The 'Defending' property.. is there a number of charges to it and if so how many?

Also, how do you recharge an item?

(Probably simple questions, but.. :/)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Silver Sword of Chaos is a known bug, I noticed that way back in the 5.0.x days when HB1 came out.

I do not believe Defending uses charges, but I wouldn't swear one way or the other.

AFAIK there is no way to recharge items, your best bet is to sell them when you know they are almost depleted and craft another.

8. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

Aw damn. I really would've liked to turn that sword into something great, especially because there are no other silver bastard swords in the game. I think the game needs more silver weapons in general. Hope it'll get fixed in some future updates. Thx for clearing that up.

9. tom

tom Established Member

I enchanted a bow with flame, ice, and shok and flaming burst, icy burst, and shocking burst and the game worked fine. Allthough i dont know if the bow functioned exactly as it sould have.

10. Lava

Lava Established Member

I know this game isn't real life, but in real life, would a silver sword likely just snap or bend in heavy combat? I've always wondered about non-magical silver swords like that...

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I believe silver, gold and jewels were used to garnish and decorate ceremonial swords, while steel was used for the real thing.

But, I find it hard to remember these things, the last couple of hundred years seems to have just flown by. :twitch:

12. Mensch86

Mensch86 Member

Is it known what causes the bug with the silver sword of chaos? If yes, maybe I could modify the protos tab so that it becomes craftable. I'd be willing to get rid of the Freedom of Movement for being able the refine such a nice weapon. (I don't wanna use scather cause it's ridiculous)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  13. dragonalumni

dragonalumni Elemental Warrior

no, in real life a MAGIC silver sword would not bend. :)

14. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hmmmm, so you are experiencing magic in real life? How? I want to cast magic missle on soooooooooo many people. :evil:

15. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

C'mon guys, Lava asked a bona-fide question. I'd say in real life silver is too soft to make a decent weapon. It would bend, break, and certainly never hold an edge like steel.

Good thing I haven't run into any real-life werewolves. :poke:

Our Host!