Equipment question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ConjurerDragon, Feb 18, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

Normally when a character uses armor or shields that the PC is not proficient with he suffers the armorcheck penalty from his rolls. However what happens in ToEE with equipment like the wooden elvish shield that has a armorcheck penalty of 0 and arcane spellfailure of 0? Can a non-proficient PC use that without any penalty? Could my Sorceror simply use it and in ToEE suffer no consequences? Or is there a penalty that I canĀ“t see?

2. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

It's a bit of an exploit in a sense, but I believe it's actually RAW. That is, you can have wizards with mithral bucklers no problem in RAW.

To answer your question more directly, the only "hidden" penalty is when you have two-handed weapons combined with bucklers. In this case, you get a -1 to attack rolls, and I believe you do not get 1.5x strength bonus on your damage rolls. Other than that, use 0 Armor check shields to your heart's content.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Not to mention that you can enchant the wooden elvish shield to a +3 and end up with a wizard that can stand on the front line if needed.

4. ConjurerDragon

5. ConjurerDragon

Are the cloaks from the Moathouse still useful somewhere after the party has cleared out the Moathouse (e.g. if in another game I let Lareth escape and meet him again)?
    Or can those safely be sold off to the Tailor?

Is the Amulett of proof against detection from the loot of the traders useful ingame? Or is there no situation in the game where actually anyone scrys on the party and that amulet would make a difference so that it could be sold?

Are the items of the traders identical regardless if they are killed in their store or later in the house or are there differences?

6. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

!- to my best knowledge the cloaks only have value when at the Temple- if you let Lareth escape you met him again at the Broken Tower I think but I'm not sure since I usually kill him at the Moathouse...:)

2- not as far as I know so you should feel safe in selling the Amulet

3- the items the traders have if you kill them in Homelett are basically the same as if you beat them at your house in Nulb- it's just that their compainions have better loot than they do- BTW, minor spoiler follows-
    if you kill Tolub and the pirates in Nulb, he has a pretty decent ring on him that would be great for almost any character- don't know if you can pickpocet it though

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Re: your spoiler Gehennis:
    I once beat Tolub down to exactly 0 hp during the boxing match and was able to loot his body for the ring (and everything else). Once I hit him again (to drive him negative), the match resolved normally with no repercussions.

8. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

This I guess is a spoiler? Eh.
    Generally the pickpocket skill draws from a character's loot table. So if he drops it when killed, chances are you can pickpocket it from him. This does create silly situations where you can even pickpocket someone's clothes!

9. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

You'll still suffer a -4 bab while fighting... which means not that much really, as a mage is not supposed to be in the frontlines. On the other hand, that also means that your ranged touch attacks won't be as effective, though I don't know if ToEE's engine correctly incorporate that correctly, knowing that the "Weapon focus: ray" doesn't work...

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Fixed that in last patch ;)

11. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

In my almost finished game 7.5 NC, weapon focus : ray gives me a dex bonus each time I use scorching ray with my wiz. That's the issue that you fixed?

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yes: thats how you get your +1 on the attack. GWF gives you another +1. Think of it as a workaround rather than a fix, if you like.

13. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

It keeps giving me the dex bonus. The dex bonus stacks, my wiz has a dex of 106 or something like that. I don't think that's suppose to happen.

14. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Reminds me of the Wizardry Bishop exploit- also reminds me of what happens in Might and Magic 2 if you decide to fight the Mega Dragon and win with only 2 characters left alive- anyone want an 109th level barbarian or a 105th level bishop? :yes::thumbsup:

15. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

It still is a ranged attack, so that seems normal that you get your dex bonus. Your wizard having a dex of 106 is rather weird though.

Our Host!