KotB 1.0.1 Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Aug 16, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

You and I are on the same page. Yesterday I was rereading through the entire bug list postings, and one thing stood out, and that was a comment by you (maybe a few times) where you questioned if the patch was properly installed (or if it was installed at all).

So I took it upon myself to do a total dump and did a fresh download of the 1.0.1 setup and did a complete reinstall.

At this point my freshly rolled party is just entering the Keep for the first time, so it'll be a while before I can report back any findings.

Next week I will be out of town for a business trip. That means late night D&D sessions in my hotel room play KotB, so I may make more progress than I suspect

Thanks a bunch.

2. FDR4PREZ

Ted,

So after a fresh full download of 1.0.1 and complete TOEE/KOTB reinstall, I've completed KotB once again.

Here is what I've seen:

1) the hollow stump in the oak woods is not easily accessible. At the time I really thought it was inaccessible until my guy was moved to stand behind the stump, then I was able to "open" the hollow stump. Not sure if that is normal as I don't recall that from previous installs. A hollow stump should have a hole in one location, so is this why I was not able to access it unless my guy was standing in a specific spot?

2) When you hover your mouse over containers, they no longer indicate if they are empty. Which I am OK with since the characters don't have X-ray vision to know if a container is empty unless they open it.

3) full plate mail is not allowed to be worn within the Keep. I walked into the Bailiff's office and was promptly arrested and thrown in the goal for wearing a disguise.

4) The mad wizard riddle is not answerable for parties with low intelligence. My 3 character party of paladin, thief, cleric, was not able to answer it and NPCs are not allowed to answer it. I am OK with low intelligent peeps not getting the correct choice, but why can't an NPC be selected to answer it?

5) endless gold rewards from the bailiff for the caravan quest and the mad wizard quests.

6) Lizardmen cave people said they threw me a reward (something white?), but nothing appeared in my inventory.

7) the raider camp unfogs, but when you click on the world map, you see nothing but your blue dots on a black mini-map. Only the area where the liontaur is can be seen on the mini-map.

8) there is a cat, or something, named Gloom in the shrine that gets to be part of combat and takes like 150 point of damage to kill. What's that about?

Some things that I previously reported are now OK, which leads me to believe the patch was not properly installed in my previous game.

The secret gnoll tunnel is OK in both directions, and the door on the outer wall where Billy is (was) is working OK. I did not see Billy at all. The priest desk drawer can now be opened.

I think it is time to play an evil party and see what's in store.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks for the feedback FDR. 1, 6 & 8 sound liks bugs, 3 & 5 I thought were fixed but will double check, 2 was a necessary evil, 4 I will take under advisement and 7 I will look into :) Glad you're having fun.

4. FDR4PREZ

Great, thanks.

I really like the new #2, so please don't change it. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't an oversight. I never quite understood why you were able to hover your mouse over a container and divine whether or not it is empty. I like needing to open a container to see if there is something in it.

I have screenshots of 1, 7 and 8, if you want to see them.

To bypass #4, I had to create a new character with a high enough intelligence, march to the tower with a naked character to answer the riddle, and then promptly dump this unwanted character. I was unable to think of any other way to move forward with this quest. I know there was talk of using a druid and a warp wood spell on the door, but that wasn't part of my party concept...druids and their stupid tree hugging...bah

For #5, normally, I believe that when you get a reward for a quest then you are immediately ushered (kicked) out of the office, correct? but for these two quests with endless gold, you get the 300 gold piece reward and the dialog closes with you remaining in the office. Now you can go about your own business throughout the bailiff's office. Is this by design, so you can steal stuff from his office? I'd imagine that the only time you should get free run of his office is by trying to go upstairs to deal with Billy.

For #6, I believe that I have a saved game of me right out side the cave, so as soon as I enter the cave then the dialog will start about me successfully clearing the hunting ground and requesting the eggs back.

a bit OT here:
    I have a question about the masterwork item reward from the bailiff. In my last go-round I didn't bother getting this reward. Is the item given chosen randomly? When asked to click on the character to receive the masterwork item reward, I clicked on my Paladin/Sorcerer and he got a nice shiny masterwork shovel. So I reloaded and he got a shovel again, and then I gave up trying. Is the item given completely random or randomly based on class, or is the item given fixed regardless of the character chosen? Having a paladin walking around with a shovel as a weapon is not very cavalier. I just find it hard to grasp that you run into the armory of a keep during a war/battle and they are handing out shovels. In my keep, if my weapon smith has enough time to make a masterwork shovel, then I think I'd find him something to go shovel...

5. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

The short answer is that Masterwork Shovel is the default given by the Quartermaster as the Bailiff's reward. The choosing progresses in this order, and if none of the criteria match your character you get the Shovel.

1) If you have Weapon Focus in a specific weapon, then that weapon is given.
    2) If you are a Dwarf, Masterwork Dwarven Axe.
    3) If you are a Gnome, Masterwork Gnome Hooked Hammer.
    4) If you have an Exotic Weapon Proficiency, then that weapon is given.
    5) Ranger with archery style, Masterwork Composite Longbow Str 14.
    6) Ranger with two-weapon style, Masterwork Rapier AND a Masterwork Main Gauche (2 for 1 Special!)
    7) If you have Point Blank Shot or Precise Shot, Masterwork Light Crossbow.
    8) Barbarian, Masterwork War Fan.
    9) If you are none of the above, Masterwork Shovel (Congratulations! :dance::dance::dance::dance:).

So I would suggest choosing a character for the reward that has Weapon Focus in a weapon, or meets oen of the above criteria. It doesn't go by class other than for the Ranger or the Barbarian.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Barbarian = Masterwork Fan? Hmm, are there many Barabarians with an overheating problem? :p

7. FDR4PREZ

I guess after your barbarian rage wears off, and you are feeling all pooped and tired, a fan will do you right nicely. :flamed:

Weapon Focus or Exotic Weapon Prof are things that I've never bothered with. They don't seem excitingly useful, but getting a shovel is just silly to get as a weapon from a keep. A short sword is more realistic. Or have the head dwarf that is stuck in the closet ask for a really solidly built shovel to add to his collection.

8. Shiningted

There is, of course, an element of silliness to it, but keep in mind your more belligerent clerics get WF for free and the masterwork crossbow can then be upgraded to a magic one easily enough ;)

9. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Real men aren't afraid to cool down after a rage...

War Fan Barbarian.jpg

10. FDR4PREZ

I can run with the silliness of it all. The Quartermaster looks you over with distain and hands you a shovel that none of the real soldiers would touch. Later that night in the pub, he'd be joking with his drinking buddies how he was able to hand over a shovel to a bunch of scummy adventurers.

but Ted, now you need to create an NPC that would fawn over our barbarian like in marc's picture.

11. Shiningted

Can't I just cut-paste Bertram for that?

EDIT: Btw, kudos to Sitra for implementing that off-the-cuff silliness. I probably wouldn't have had the patience to write the script and would have given up after the Gnomes.

12. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

In my very first playthrough of the KotB module computer game, the first masterwork item that I found in the game was a masterwork shovel that was a random drop from killing the Black Dragon. My Fighter PC wielded that masterwork shovel and he was doing some horrible critical hits against the monsters at the Caves of Chaos! I have very fond memories of that shovel-wielding fighter. I was sad to replace the masterwork shovel when my fighter found a statistically better weapon.

13. Shiningted

For memory, the dragon ones are randomly-generated.

14. FDR4PREZ

for the first time ever I was finally asked to join the thieves guild, but I found two issues with dialog boxes.

1) After agreeing to do the quests, I opened a door with a couple thugs behind it, and a blank dialog box opened. I couldn't figure out how to get out of that so I used Task Manager to force KOTB (TOEE) to close.

2) When I met up with the shifty guard, his dialog box was a bit funky.

Attached Files:

15. Shiningted

1) You should have been killed! The leader tells you to go out a specific way, going the other way through the door should have led to combat. O well, I'll fix that.

2) That's a not-uncommon dialogue thing I use that occasionally confuses people. The dots indicate you are lost for words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!