Fixing Protection from Evil

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kharagh, May 18, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

I assume we have all noticed that Protection from Evil prevents us from casting some spells on ourselves. Has anyone solved this problem? My first thought is that all mind-affecting spells (beneficial or not) are blocked, which would include things like bless, prayer, heroism, etc. If that's all that it is, I'm just going to remove the 'mind-affecting' descriptor from beneficial spells (and even prayer which is both beneficial and harmful). But does anyone who has been more observant have reason to believe that's not the problem (in which case, I won't bother)?

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Yes, it is as simple as that I think. It just blocks those types of spells even if they are your own.

However, there are three classifications in the spell's description:

Code:
    School: Enchantment
    Subschool: Compulsion
    Descriptor: Mind-Affecting

I'm not sure which of those three it specifically looks for. It may be just one, or some combination. Let me know what you find out, I've always been curious.

EDIT: Just tested it and removing "Descriptor: Mind-Affecting" let the spell be cast successfully. I was initially afraid that the School itself would have to be changed.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  3. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

Thanks for the confirmation. No more mind-affecting spells. I'm an eliminative materialist anyway, so I have no problem getting rid of that descriptor.

4. Nadyan

Nadyan Member

This is my old problem. I always cast both Protection from Evil and Heroism, and have to remember about the correct order.

Can I remove "Descriptor: Mind-Affecting" myself or I have to wait for an update?

5. marc1967

You can do it yourself, but you will have to do it for each spell that has that descriptor. Off the top of my head, this would include:

• Heroism
    • Greater Heroism
    • Bless
    • Prayer
    • Rage
    • Aid

Also, if that particular spell is not currently in the TOEE/data/rules/spells folder, you will first need to unpack ToEE3.dat and copy the spell file it into TOEE/data/rules/spells so you can actually edit it. On my system Heroism was not there.

6. Nadyan

Nadyan Member

Thanks you very much.
    How to unpack ToEE3.dat?

7. marc1967

Download the first tool on this page http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1887 (Zane's ToEExtract v1.05 - http://files.co8.org/tools/toeeextract.rar)

Unzip it into your TOEE root folder.

Then from the command prompt, go to your TOEE root folder and type:

toeextract.exe toee3.dat TOEE3dat

This will unpack all the original game files into the folder TOEE3dat. From there you can copy the file you need into your working folder. You can also extract ToEE1.dat, ToEE2.dat, and ToEE4.dat, but you shouldn't need those files for the spell changes.

Two words of caution:

1) Be careful not to copy over an original file if one already exist in your active folder, since it will overwrite a file that has probably been upgraded by the Co8 mods.

2) Don't accidentally edit the file in the unpacked folder and then wonder why the change isn't taking effect. I do this too often when making changes too hastily. :sadblinky

8. Nadyan

Nadyan Member

Thanks!
    I did it.
    It works perfectly.

Our Host!