Common Issues and FAQ

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 4, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

• What is Keep on the Borderlands?

KotB is a mod for Ataris' Temple of Elemental Evil PC game. It is an entirely new module taking place elsewhere in Greyhawk, based on B2: Keep on the Borderlands by E. Gary Gygax. It is for starting level characters up to about 5 or 6.

• Can I play it without the Temple of Elemental Evil?

No.

• What exactly do I need?

You need Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil game, patched to version 2, as well as Microsoft .NET v2, and the Keep on the Borderlands mod itself.

• Where do I get these from?

Links for the downloads are available from HERE. The game is available from GoG and bargain bins everywhere.

• Where do I find complete installation instructions?

In the same place - HERE.

• What about patches?

Also available HERE at the bottom of the post.

• Do I need the latest version of the Co8 mod?

No. This is a completely seperate module.

• Can I just transfer my PCs from the Player folder?

No. KotB includes feats and skills not found in ToEE.

• Ok, I'll roll new PCs. What about the P&V pack?

KotB is NOT compatible with the portraits part of the P&V pack, for various reasons. The final (1.1) version of the Demo - finished and undergoing beta-testing as of 1 Dec 2008, release imminent after that - will include completely new portraits and voices as per the Co8 5.5 release. Just play without them for now, you can have them on your next run through.

• Next run through?

A lot of elements of KotB, such as many of the monsters on the maps as well as their locations, are randomised, so no two games are the same. Lots of replay value, especially as different alignments.

• What sort of party should I create?

Depends on alignment, really. A LE party should have a Hextorite presence: LG should have an Heironeoan focus. Less lawful parties should definitely have a rogue. All parties will do well with at least one person who has a decent Survival skill.

Regarding clerics, there's a surprising amount of undead. Don't fill your ai follower slots though!

Bards will have the most fun as face characters. An all human party (for the feats) will need someone with a very high Int since they won't get the extra languages Demi-Humans get. TN parties should use a Druid or Ranger. There's a lot of animals out there in the woods around the Keep...

• I started playing, but how do I get off the Shopmap?

You need to familiarise yourself with the Secret Door Search tool, so you need to use it to find a secret ladder off the map. It's under the stairs near the entry portal you would normally use. You need a Search skill of at least 3 ranks.

• Where do I find information about the new skills, feats and other new stuff in the game?

In the Players Guide, which installs to a Docs folder in the root folder (something like Atari / KotB release 1.0.1 / Docs). Please read it, it will answer many many questions.

• I'm wandering around the Keep - how do I get out to the Lizardman Lair, Mad Hermit and other maps I remember from the PnP module?

Seriously, read the Players Guide.

• A few NPCs don't have much to say and a few areas seem rather empty.

Yes, our vision exceeded our grasp and some areas did not get done, nor the alignment plotlines. This still has over 100 NPC dialogues and more than 20 completable quests.

• The NPCs don't have voices.

So you have a 60mb smaller download to get the Demo :p The planned voice actors - two groups of them - fell through at the last moment (a few weeks before the release) so I made the decision to release without them.

• When does the full version of the game come out?

This 1.0.x version is it. 'Incomplete' in that there are empty areas and unfinished plotlines (that stop, not just break) but it plays through from beginning to end.

• This free mod is amazingly bug-free compared to some titles I have paid good money for, but I still found a small error. Where do I report it?

Bug reports HERE please. Be as specific as possible.

• What about questions, quest help, that sort of thing?

Start a thread in this forum :)

• Can I get all the new weapons and armour from Co8?

Yes: this little military outpost has a suprisingly large range of merchandise to offer. I guess we call that one a suspension of belief - a necessary one to ensure people get to play the game the way they want. There are very few magic items though: its a starting level module, after all.

• Known Issues?

- If you have trouble looting items on the dragon map (yes there is a dragon!) you are probably in combat mode - just press C. This is because you took damage from the dragon while looting it, the damage puts you back in combat mode automatically.
      - Cerulean's balm needs to be identified to work, even though it doesn't look it. If you can't get it to work, that's why.
      - If you walk around the Keep in full plate you may be mistaken for a cavalry officer and accused of trying to impersonate one. Sorry.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The following is a list of some of the things you might find for sale, or even be able to create, in and around the Keep. This list allows you to think about what you might want without having to shell out the money then shift-click.
    • Potion of Explosions:

A combustable liquid that can be thrown and causes fire damage to the victim.

• Climbing Kit:

Provides +2 to Climb.

• Scholar's Kit:

Provides a +2 bonus to Spellcraft. These stack - no cheating!

• Healer's Kit:

Provides +2 to Heal.

• Eyeglasses:

Provides +2 to Appraise.

• Spyglass:

Doubles the bearer's Survival score when checking to spot random encounters.

• Rope:

Necessary to use the Climb ability in almost all situations, both climbing up and down.

• Grappling Hook:

Necessary to use the Climb ability to climb up.

• Brimstone Powder:

A volatile powder that, when thrown, will explode in a blinding flash, dazing all those nearby.

• Knockout Gas:

This potion, when thrown, releases a gas that may put those in its range to sleep.

• Ink, Quill and Parchment:

Keeps a record of certain events on your journey, particularly those that may change (variables and such). WIP. Also has, in the index, a complete copy of all the books you may have read along the way.

• Bottle of Acid:

A flask of acid that can be thrown, causing 1 die of acid damage to the victim. Can be crafted with the Alchemy skill and a Cauldron.

• Bottle of Distilled Acid:

A flask of acid that can be thrown, causing 2 dice of acid damage to the victim. Can be crafted with the Alchemy skill and Distillation equipment.

• Bottle of Purified Acid:

A flask of acid that can be thrown, causing 3 dice of acid damage to the victim. Can be crafted with the Alchemy skill and a Purifying Bath.

• Bottle of Eruptive Acid:

A flask of acid that can be thrown, causing both fire and acid damage to the victim. Can be crafted with the Alchemy skill and a Purifying Bath.

• Flask of oil:

A combustible liquid that can be thrown and causes fire damage to the victim.

• Smokestick:

An alchemical device that can be thrown and creates a fog of cloud, providing concealment to those within. Can be crafted with the Alchemy skill and a Cauldron.

• Tanglefoot bag:

A pouch that can be thrown and coats its targets in a sticky substance, briefly hindering movement, spellcasting, and attacks. Can be crafted with the Alchemy skill and a Cauldron. WIP.

• Armour Oil:

A lubricant that can be applied to metal armour, reducing the armour check penalty by 1. Can be crafted with the Alchemy skill and a Cauldron.

• Lockslip Grease:

A lubricant that can be applied to an ordinary lock to reduce the DC by 1. Can be crafted with the Alchemy skill and a Cauldron.

• Antitoxin:

An alchemical mixture that provides a +5 bonus to saves against poison for 1 hour. Can be crafted with the Alchemy skill and a Cauldron.

• Alchemical Capsules:

Small capsules that are attached to a weapon and, when activated, coat the weapon in an oil that provides an alchemical elemental bonus for 1 round. Comes in Quickflame (fire), Quickburn (acid), Quickspark (electricity), Quickfrost (cold) and Positoxin (as Holy Water) varieties. Can be crafted with the Alchemy skill and a Cauldron. These are 'use it or lose it' items that should only be equipped as you use them, lest they be wasted.

• Cerulean's Condenser

Condenses potions down to a tincture, meaning you only need a few drops, effectively doubling the charges (usually 1) in the potion. Can be crafted with the Alchemy skill and Distillation equipment.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!