Games too easy

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by LarkinVB, Mar 15, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

*Shakes fist* Those evil scheming n'er do wells!

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Then the classic evil ploy of 'Let's pump up their egos by having them fight chumps and save the real heavy hitters for later' worked like a charm? :) Personally I've always used a combination of Stinking Cloud, Ice Storm, Magic Missile and Spike Stones/Spike Growth on the salamanders- and maybe toss in a Holy Smite just to make sure- then again, I usually have at least 3 spellcasters in my parties, which reminds me- a cleric, a wizard and a sorcerer walk into a bar......

3. Horsesoldier

Horsesoldier Member

If 3rd floor is cosidered too easy after 1 & 2 then do 3rd ASAP via the back door thru the brigand tower.

This gets you to a lot of goodies that much sooner.

4. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I think the game can be as hard as you want it to, but generally you'll start getting really strong once you hit about level 5 and up.

Funny how I see this thread right after reccomending TOEE to someone the other day and getting a reply of "For the love of god no. I installed the mod and the game is just massive bull****. It starts with a swamp with toads that 2 shot you and you miss every single attack against them. **** game."

lol, dying at the first enemy without making any effort to level up by fedex/wwb and then calling the game bad because they were bad

5. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I think most RPGs are very difficult until you build a few levels up.

6. outdrack

outdrack Member

Unless the game levels scales the enemy with you or sumthing :dizzy:

Try beating the game with fewer would be a start, you should also attempt to not use enlarge weapon reach weapon. Or start any AoE spamming before the bad guys notice

7. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Yes, definetly. And the secret of a good balanced game like BG2 is that the player always has to think of every possible way to use his resources to the best effect and NOT to think of how he restricts his own resources to keep the game interesting.

8. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

One of the reasons I like the creation/training levels in games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion- not only do they give you some room to try out a build/play style but it lets you start the main game with a couple of levels under your belt...

9. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Winston, tell your associate to recruit Elmo and Fruella. I guarantee that your associate would be able to win the combat against the giant frogs with only level 1 PCs if your associate had the formidable capabilities of Elmo and Fruella assisting the level 1 PCs.

10. outdrack

outdrack Member

Not if you rest every other fight...

Or use swagdorn, edwina, stealing recharged wands, and infinite spell abuse etc etc

Just regular BG2 though, none of that tactics stuff ;)

One other suggestion would be to try out some weaker multiclass options, it's probably what I'm going to do on my next play though. (Druid/barbarian or sumthing)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  11. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

True, I forgot about them as well.

The game doesn't hold your hand, but I mean, some basic looking around on the players part makes it pretty easy to progress. Elmo was one of the first npc's I bumped into back when I installed the original game without modpack.

12. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

OK, slight misunderstanding here. A PC game can never make perfect balance like a human DM. BG 2 comes as close to AI controlled balance as possible.
    And about the weaker multiclassing: Exactly the point I want to prevent. I think it's much more rewarding if you play as smart as you can.
    But since the game has still so much other fantastic qualities , besides the missing balance, I, as well, try to find my personal mix of "not too hard but still a challenge". So my last game was a solorun with a bard and it was really one og the best playthroughs I had with this game (about 20-30 times so far).

Our Host!