Official KotB Demo Final Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Jan 3, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

Do not know. I installed the demo right over my ToEE/Co8mods and it kept crashing. Now I removed and istalled ToEE and the demo. Haven't got beyond Spider forest (where I got killed) yet. Is it safe to save in the wilderlands or do it cause saves to corrupt?

2. Rocktoy

Yep the CTD bug is still there. I did spider forest went back to the keep for sum rest, no problem. Did the same thing with lizardmen and after killing the evil people inte the Thorp. BUT then I tried to get sum extra XP for crafitng I did a RE. Rested there, got more REs. Got enough xp for those gloves of dex +6 and went back to the Keep for some crafting. Tried to save BEFORE entering the Keep (or is it the Inn?), while still standing on the market place, and there it was: CTD. Reloded. Tried entering the Keep without saving before, CTD. Damn.

ps. always entered the city from the main gate, with no visible weapons.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I think its been fixed - I certainly haven't experienced it in my endless wandering arounds testing things in many, many months.

For the record as to what it was - some of the outdoor maps (such as Lizardman, Spiderwoods, and Mad Hermit) used modded existing maps (Moathouse, Emridy Meadows and Emridy + Neutral Vignette in that order - the Thorp likewise had the LE vignette map in there). I copied over some, but not all, of the existing files when first making these maps because I did not need all of the files and some interfered with what I was doing. I think those missing files(DAG files, for instance) come back later and bite you in the ass.

Now I have used all the files, even if I had to blank some out :) And as I said, no more CTDs in a long time.

4. Rocktoy

So how do you explain my experience? I removed my ToEE installation and install the Kotb as recommended in the forum with the newest patch. The one thing I can find as the cause of CTD is doing RE. I did rest in the spider forest map as I did in the lizardman map with no problems. But as soon as tried to get some additional XP from RE maps, and rested there -> instant CTD.

5. Annagyijjk

Annagyijjk Member

I like it. It gives me a better idea of ​​what's going on.
    I hate to bring up tired old topic, but what is known triggers the "market" syndrome CTD?

6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Rocktoy
    That is what caused your problem. NEVER rest on a RE Map !!! IIRC there was a discussion about this in an earlier bug thread about 1 - 2 years ago.
    The Royal Canadian

7. Shiningted

That 'fix' is not in the Demo.
    Yes. Yes it is.

8. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

So is there an actual bug list, or would I need to read the entire topic to make sure I'm not mentioning something that's already been reported? This is the first time I've played this module. The first time I ran into Lady Maeri was during the day. So I advanced the time till evening and talked to her again. The game assumed I'd had a previous discussion with her, and had completed her first quest. Neither of these conditions are true, but I was still able to obtain the reward.

9. Shiningted

Ooo that may a new bug, interesting. Was the first quest "go kill me a dog" and your way of finishing it to not do it? Because if you are the right alignment, its working properly.

10. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

Well that's the thing. Apparently the first quest was kill a dog, but she never actually gave me the quest in the first place, namely because I had never spoken to her before. So the very first time I did speak to her, the script acted as if I had already been assigned the quest and had already run through all her introductory dialog trees. But yes, at that point I did convince her the dog was dead, since I am good, and was able to pickup her second quest. Not really relevant to the bug though, if I understand your question correctly.

I guess I'd make a decent beta tester. I always seem to find the last few bugs in mods, even the really polished ones. Or perhaps I'm just jinxed. Anyway here's another one:

Hired a mercenary in the tavern, walked outside with him, then promptly dismissed him. Anyway, his "shadow" (the circular position marker) is forever with me now, even though he himself is not. Nothing else: no body, no combat turns, no shadow, just that circle. It gets highlighted when I select the entire party, and moves with the group as if he is still there.

Edit: I did confirm it's the mercenary's placemarker, because his face is still showing up in the formations window.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  11. Shiningted

Yeah I gotcha - that one can be fixed.

12. rosemary'sOTHERbaby

rosemary'sOTHERbaby Member

I suppose this would be as good a place as any to ask, but: How the HECK did any of you get this thing to run after you activated it? I keep reading all of these posts about OTHER bugs in it, but all I can get it to do on my Windoze 7 Pro is load the credits. When it gets to the point where the opening movie sequence should be it invariably crashes back to the desktop with an option to "close the program and search for an online line solution" (which in typical Microsoft fashion it never does). Only, I can't choose this option because my mouse pointer is gone so I have to go through the task manager. What gives??!? Am I doing something wrong? HELP!

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Try setting your video card to a 'no scaling' setting for video playback.

14. rosemary'sOTHERbaby

rosemary'sOTHERbaby Member

Thanks, Gaear, for the tip. I'm sorry it took so long to acknowledge your help, but I've spent the last couple of days trying to find out how to change video card settings. Big waste of time with no help there. The internet search engines proved usesless (as usual); no one seemed to have any idea of what they where talking. I guess I'll just have to be content with the mods that I CAN play that don't require such adjustments. Seriously, though, I might just have to switch back over to Debian.

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The no scaling option, if available, will be listed somewhere in your graphics card's settings. Right click your desktop, select Properties, click the Settings tab, click the Advanced button, click the tab that lists your graphics card, and start searching from there. No scaling might be called somewhat different things by different card manufacturers, so you may have to 'think outside the box' a bit.

btw, this has nothing to do with the mod, and we don't create such problems. We just try to deal with them when they come along. In this case, the issue is no doubt that you're using a modern operating system with a game that was released in 2003.

Our Host!