Co8 New Content: Ronald Rynnwrathi

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

What is it? A new joinable NPC cleric who can be found at the Church of St. Cuthbert in Hommlet.

Authors: Endarire, Shiningted

Featured in modpacks: 6.1.0 NC, 8.1.0 New Content Edition

Availability: story state 0 - the start of the game

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Yavathol

Yavathol Member

I'm running through the New Content with Ronald in the party to see what he is like. Just completed Welkwood, that was a lot of fun:) Haven't had a chance to see much of Ronald yet, but hopefully that will come.

One annoying thing is that he isn't very strong. This only matters because I can't get him to drop his original armor and shield, so he is encumbered. Is there any console way to fix this? Does it make a difference if he is unconscious? It may be this is a general NPC setting I've not configured correctly in the module launcher, rather than Ronald specific...

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ Talk to him. Once you get his trust, he will agree to sell you the stuff. You may even be able to barter for a lower price ;)

He isn't encumbered with his original equipment iirc.

I gave him 2 levels of fighter and he made a perfectly good archer. Also he can sing... somewhat poorly lol.

4. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

It would be really cool if Ronald had some character specific quotes, or even a mini-quest during the Hickory Branch/ "Orc Season" ... Since he HATES Orcs. I had to pay him extra gold to just travel with my druid/barb Half-Orc. so I thought he would definitely have stuff to say when facing a horde of them...!!!

I have never used him as an NPC before and specifically am trying him out with all the work Co8 has put into him with this release. The longspear seems more effective than his heavy mace, but he is very effective as an archer when i added the 2 levels of Ranger to his Cleric base class.

How did he get the longbow proficiency?

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  5. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

I didn't realize there was new orc-related content! What sorts of lines would be most appropriate for Ronald?

I also wrote and voice acted lines for a side quest to raise Ron's orc-slain parents. It requires Ronald be level 17 for true resurrection. I'm uncertain whether it's in the newest version.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

It was implemented, yes, always has been, but I don't believe anyone has gotten Ronald to level 17.

7. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Might just need to add him and levelup a few hundred times...

8. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Ronnie baby doesn't get true resurrection. Unless it's called Miracle? Never have found out what that freakin spell does. I'm sure it's miraculous though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  9. Shiningted

Truly it is: I think it lets you cast anything. But there is no 'True Resurrection' spell in the game. What should happen is (after a map change) Ronald should comment about wanting to go back to the Church and cast True Resurrection there. He will also expect you to pay for it.

Lemme know if it works :) It did when I scripted it for 5.0 or so.

10. Necroticpus

I can't. I sort of accidently killed Terjon. And Calmert. And Jaroo. And Burne. And Rufus. And Black Jay. But Ronnie didn't say anything about wanting to go back to the church and get a true resurrection.

11. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Lol. Did this accident occur in WotGS? I suppose it did since the above photos are from the dwarf quarry.

12. Necroticpus

Ya, WoGS. I saw this thread and how ST said no one ever cared about Ronald enough to play him to 17th level. I was in the middle of a 5.5 game playing a druid (lord, forgive me. Remind me to go back to my druid praising thread to recant and show how much druids really suck). I had finished everything and was about to start the temple proper and I decided to go grab Ronnie and get him to 17. I was already 12th level at that time, but he took of like a shot with XP. At the quarry, ronnie finished at less than 100 XP above 18th level and the other 3 were 20th level.

All that work and he said nothing about resurrecting dead parents. Apparently, the strain of the quarry fight made him realize how unimportant his murdered parents were to him. It's very sad and indicative of how desensitized and sterile our society has become.

13. Flak88

Flak88 Member

Just started using Ronald in my party for the first time. He had a little hissy fit when I had to free the orcs in the first level of the temple to let the ladies out. Is this going to cause me headaches down the road?

14. Shiningted

No, if he stayed in the party you're fine. If he left, you may have to grovel to get him back.

EDIT: Thanks for the feedback, Necro. You were using 5.5? I'll have a look into it: I have a sneaking suspicion some of the functionality was hidden in DH files and may have been lost somewhere.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  15. Necroticpus

Just wanted to say something about the Miracle spell. I'm not sure that it lets you cast any spell without using up a slot or something. When the cleric casts it, you can target individuals in the party, just like haste, magic circles and many other spells like that. I guess it could be that it makes spell casters not have to use spell slots for a specific duration, but I haven't ever noticed it. Actually, I haven't noticed any other benefit from it either, like healing everyone to full or anything. I'm going to try experimenting with it some more and try to figure it out, starting with the cast any spell without using a spell slot up. In the 3.5 player's book, it says the spell makes a call to your diety, asking for intercession on their behalf. Now that would be something. Cast the spell so that Pelor or Heironomous or Cuthbert shows up to kick some @$$.

Our Host!