Spell Info

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kharagh, May 6, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

I just started changing a bunch of spell levels to give me a reason to use spells I never use (for example, enlarge and fireball got bumped to 2nd and 4th, whereas gust of wind has gone down to 0th).

I'm using samples in the data/rule/spells folder to generate my altered spell info, but I don't think that folder has a sample of a line spell. If anyone familiar with what I'm talking about happens to read this, could you please let me know how I should modify this Gust of Wind so that it will work properly (I'm particular skeptical of my current "flags_Target: Fixed-radius" line, but I don't know what would happen if I removed that):

School: Evocation
    Descriptor: Air
    Level: Sor 0
    Level: Wiz 0
    Component: V
    Component: S
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Specified 60
    Saving Throw: Fortitude
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Projectile: No
    flags_Target: Range
    flags_Target: Fixed-radius
    inc_flags_Target: Other
    exc_flags_Target: Self
    exc_flags_Target: Dead
    exc_flags_Target: Non-critter
    mode_Target: Line
    radius_Target: 60
    ai_type: ai_action_offensive

2. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Enlarge as a 2nd level spell???? Why? It is a great 1st level spell.

3. Kharagh

I basically went through every spell and asked myself this question: what is the maximum level that I could make this spell and still seriously consider using it? Frankly, Enlarge is such a useful spell, that the answer to that question is closer to 6th-level than 1st level. Once you have a quality reach weapon with whirlwind attack and/or great cleave and/or combat reflexes, Enlarge is quite possibly the single best spell in the game.

Enlarge and Protection from Evil are the two 1st-level spells that are most clearly good enough to be much higher-level.

Most spells actually get reduced in level when you ask the above question (although the question really can't be answered independently of what levels all the other spells are, so this is really more of a dynamic process than suggested by just answering that one simple question for each spell). For example has ANYONE EVER used Mass Fox's Cunning? Regular Fox's Cunning, sure - I use that all the time (as a 2nd level spell) to improve my appraiser's appraisal skill at low levels. But there's no benefit in having multiple appraisers. The only way this spell could be more useful than regular Fox's Cunning would be for a party with multiple wizards with no headbands of intellect. And has there ever been a party of multiple wizards that simultaneously lacked headbands of intellect and was also high enough level to cast Mass Fox's Cunning? I doubt it. By the way, all of those mass ability spells would suddenly be converted from useless to useful if the bonus was +8 instead of +4 (because by the time you get those spells, you have access to permanent +6 items).

4. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

OTOH, mass bears endurance is a great spell imo. My non-priests are generally using periapts of wound closure while my cleric and druid have amulets of wisdom. So, the HP bonus is welcome.

5. Kharagh

Yeah, the only mass spells that are realistically useful are bear's endurance and owl's wisdom because those both share equipment slots. But casting a couple 2nd-level spells is probably more efficient than casting one 6th-level spell.

Our Host!