Killing hydras

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sarasvatia, May 5, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sarasvatia

Sarasvatia Member

I've given up and I'm now asking for help, I've never been able to kill one, not even the one in the temple. How do you kill a hydra, I've looked and looked for answers but the only thing I've seen which was apparently just basic DnD knowledge, wasnt even a post about ToEE, is that you have to cut off all its heads or destroy the body, I don't know how to do either, the only targetable thing is the body and it only takes non-lethal damage, is there some special way to kill them like with poison or something? (Also I must be incredibly stupid because I seem to be the only one that doesn't know since i scoured the internet and found nothing about how to kill hydras)

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

You can kill it the same way you kill a troll. Position yourself right next to it, and then from the combat wheel select "Coup de Grace", and that will kill it permanently.

I have the shortcut key "G" set to Coup de Grace so it's easier to kill trolls quickly after combat is over before they wake up.

3. Sarasvatia

Sarasvatia Member

Alright thanks, I just found out Lareth's club of striking can do actual damage to Hydra's does this mean magical weapons can kill them normally?

4. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Hmmm, just tested it out, and apparently all bludgeoning weapons do real damage to the hydra, even if they are not magical. I never knew that.

5. Sarasvatia

Sarasvatia Member

Hm.... you would think bladed weapons would do the damage since it would be what cuts off the heads, or maybe in this game its kinda like the hercules hydra, that it's heads arent what kills it, its excessive bodily damage.

6. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Sounds like you're sorted now, but fwiw my 2c is that I wasn't aware of any special requirements to kill the hydra, though pretty much all of my party has magic weapons by the tike Inencounter it and these days it is killed in the general melee and general magic storm of the reactive fire temple battle I could easily have missed something.

Our Host!