How do I delete an object from my inventory

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Bibbles, May 5, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Bibbles

Bibbles Member

Hi all,

I need to delete an object from my inventory, as I can't give it to anyone else or drop it.

Somehow I picked up a spell object and now my rogue has a reoccurring Hezrou's Stench. :dead:

2. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

That's either a curse (Then I recommend the spell Remove Curse) or it's a bug, then you'll just have to patch up your game.

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

You could try going to Jaroo. He has a dialog option that can remove permenant spell effects like that.

If you're using the Co8 mod.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  4. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

hey bibbles

Well, that's a nasty bug. I always thought on making some comand for the console for one of those cases, or a charcter that destroys troublesome items...

I had a similar problem (a few times, and with varied stuff).

-A straigth solution could be killing the character, and remove it from the party and call him again at lvl 1 and console the old experience, though it's a real PITA.

-You can hire a NPC you don't want, strip completely the affected charcter of equipment and stuff (i mean, leave him completely empty, except the "cursed item"), and with the NPC pickpocket the -now- naked charcter as many times needed till it steal the item. Then just dismiss the NPC.
    You could do a similar thing in Nulb, with the naked character enter the waterside hotel, and the thief girl will instantly pickpocket him (remember, the girl will pickpocket the charcter that clicked the door to enter)...let her take the nasty surprise :grin:

Anyways, i see a big problem here: the item exudes a Hezrou stench...so whoever got it, will affect everything around... :blank:

5. Bibbles

Bibbles Member

Fortunately, the character doesn't exude the stench, but that character gets the stench over and over. As soon as the counter reaches 0, and does anything, it just starts over.

The item itself was on the ground after defeating one of the beasties. I picked it up and have been afflicted since.

I tried remove curse with no effect, other than pretty lights.

Sadly, I think my game, at this point, may be borked. After getting this item, I went back Homlett and the Blacksmith attacked me on sight. Things have gone downhill from there.

6. Half Knight

Forget the remove curse, it's not that.
    That item it's a workaround, it's what makes the hezrou stench works.

It should have'nt been available as loot, so something wrong has happened.. did you used Suggestion, dominate person or that kind of spells? I mean spells that gives you some sort of control over the enemies...

Also, did you tried the pickpocket thing?

7. Bibbles

Bibbles Member

The "spell object" was just sitting on the ground. It might have been there before combat, but I really wasn't looking for loot then. I was fighting a greater Hezrou and one of his summoned Hezrou buddies. Given the items location, I would say it more likely came from the summoned Hezrou. I don't recall using any spells that actually gave me control of one of the demons, although I may have tried charm monster.

I haven't tried the pickpocketing thing yet.

8. Half Knight

No noi, it's from the Hezrou.
    That's what i meant to be a workaround...the Hezrou uses that "item" to have the stench.

Or i'm babbling, and one of the big modders knows for sure.

Yeah, it's probably.

I ask for the dominating spells, cos it's the way you can have an item like that. (a good example are the drow suits, which can't be looted, but if you manage to dominate a drow, you can use it)

Again, one of the big guys must know better. Maybe the item was dropped cos it's was a summoning and you kill it...or the time of the summoning expired, dunno...

In any case, try one of the above options (erkper's advice it's good too, talk with Jaroo).

Still, you can create a charcter with a slightly different name, dismiss the one affected and add the new one, then use the console to put it at the same level/stats. That's what i've done when i had similar problems ("stickied" rings and gems)

Maybe deleting in the protos the code that makes it a non dropable item would do, but i'm not too sure which one are the exact codes

9. syncrogt1

syncrogt1 Member

Sorry to reincarnate this thread but my son and I are playing and both our games have this problem, we both have spell objects in our inventory, and have tried Jaroo's permanency fix, as well as having someone else loot a naked PC, and neither works. We are running Windows XP, sp2, CO8 5.6.0beta. Any clues? I'm not a hacker of any sort so I don;t know how to go into the program and remove the "cannot be dropped" feature...

10. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I brought this up a long time ago in another thread and I know exactly what the problem is.

You picked it up because you did not take the correct gem from the correct demon guarding the portal to leave the node. The guardian demon summoned another demon, you killed both demons and looted the summoned one first, taking the spell object gem instead of ignoring it and looting the correct gem from the guardian demon.

There's really no way to know beforehand that the spell object is a borked gem. The game just recognizes that you killed the guardian demon and still didn't have it's gem, so it created the spell object on the other demon, trying to give you the gem.

The only way I know of to work around this problem is to go to a previous save before you killed the guardian demon and kill him again and take his gem and ignore the spell object. If I remember correctly, as soon as you loot the correct gem from the guardian demon, I think the other one disappears. Either way, just don't pick up the spell object.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  11. syncrogt1

syncrogt1 Member

totally true with my son, he's been to two of the nodes, and he has perma-hezrou stench, and only on the two characters holding the spell objects.

I, on the other hand, have not been to the nodes yet but still managed to pick one up. As neither of us have backup games (we saved over our only game with this corrupted game), it looks like we will have to start over. Thanks for the advice.

12. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Try Right Guard! :thumbsup:

13. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

I'm suffering this problem again as well. I've had it before but back then I didn't know as much as I do now so didn't know what to try...so back then I reloaded an earlier save and did a certain fight again.

Now I've got a char who's got the spell object permanently in his inventory and counter will reach 0, but object persists, and a map change then resets the timer.

Visiting Jaroo didn't help. My character dies, comes back to life, and still has the non-removable object :(

14. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

The following information is from the section titled Minimizing problems with the game in the Game Guide & Walkthrough For The Circle of Eight Modpack NC sticky thread (see my signature for the link to that thread):

Shiningted's fix for removing permanent "spell objects" from PCs' inventories:

Originally posted by Shiningted:

15. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

I did try that, I found it didn't work BUT only because the character who had the stench was added on as PC #6, (using the front-end to adjust PCs to 7) which is technically an NPC slot. NPCs can't initiate dialog, and neither can this guy. (Not even if you move him to a different position along the bottom, he's still treated as an NPC).

Perhaps that's why Jaroo's spell permananency thing doesn't work either?

Maybe there's some way to adjust the script the smelly cheeseman runs to say 'Which one of you seems to have the problem' (or along those lines), rather than requiring to initiate dialog from the affected member.

Anyway, it's no huge problem, I'll just replay the encounter.

Unless anyone knows console codes to remove items from inventory?

Our Host!