Game very sluggish on New hardware

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by PriestOfThaloth, Mar 30, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. PriestOfThaloth

PriestOfThaloth Member

I have been trying to play the Temple of Elemental Evil. It is playable, but very sluggish. How can I improve performance? I think I've turned the settings as low as possible. I'm surprised it is sluggish at all. My Cpu is 4-core and upclocks to 1.8 ghz. Further, it is so much newer than ancient archicteture. I figured that already low requirement games that are as old as 2003 or earlier would not have issues. THis is a best buy unbranded Tablet I'm using.

my Specs: Operating System: Windows 8.1 with Bing 32-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r8.150127-1500) Language: English (Regional Setting: English) System Manufacturer: UnBranded System Model: UB-15MS10 BIOS: 5.6.5 Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z3735F @ 1.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.3GHz Memory: 2048MB RAM Available OS Memory: 1984MB RAM Page File: 2087MB used, 1944MB available Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS DirectX Version: DirectX 11 DX Setup Parameters: Not found User DPI Setting: Using System DPI System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent) DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 32bit Unicode

I've tried all compatibility modes, all of which ctd the game. I've also tried setting the affinity to 1 core. That has no effect.

2. PriestOfThaloth

PriestOfThaloth Member

Oh crap now it doesn't work at all and I don't know how to fix it. It loads up but then crashes when loading the menu.

3. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Hey there,

you're running on an atom. That is not really powerful new hardware there :p

Issues:
    - ToEE relies heavily on single core performance. 4 cores do not benefit you at all.
    - ToEE does not make use of the GPU, everything is done on the CPU.

There's also an issue with ToEE and more than 2GB ram, but you dont seem to have that with 2 GB of memory.

4. PriestOfThaloth

PriestOfThaloth Member

I reinstalled everything and it works again.

Okay I realize its not powerful, but it is relatively new.
    it is 1.3 ghz which upclocks as necessary to 1.3. This is more than the 1 ghz requirement and the processing archictecture is new and more effiecient than an ancient 1-core 1 ghz processor. Is there anything I can do?

EDIT:

Look here:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947679
    A MUCH older Intel Atom runs the game fine.

5. short

short Member

The official manual recommends a Pentium 4 1.7GHz higher. According to CPUbenchmark.net your processor actually has lower single threaded performance than that (322 vs 378). I don't know if that's the problem, and there are obviously problems comparing across completely different generations/OS/etc, but I think there's at least a possibility. Maybe windows 8.1 and/or the Co8 modpack requires better hardware too, but this is purely speculation on my part.

Our Host!