initial install on new laptop

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kilraven, Jan 18, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Stan094158

Stan094158 Member

running it as administrator, the box opens, it shows the CO8 as active, I press play, and it goes back to the desktop.

Following advise from another thread in the forum, I right clicked on both application to check compatibility, the ToEE says XP service pack 2, and says if this program isn't working correctly....blah, blah, blah,... run the compatibility program, which got me nowhere . I changed the compatibility mode to run in Windows 8, Disabled display scaling on high DPI settings, and checked the run this program as an administrator,........and the TXE says Windows 8 so I made no changes.

On one or two attempts I did get the pop up that said check the log file.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Hmmm... I'm out of ideas, sorry... maybe one of the more knowledgeable members of the forum can help you.

*Shines the "Gaear" signal*

3. Stan094158

Stan094158 Member

I appreciate the attempt and also hope someone has the answers.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro with a media center from an HP Pavilion dv5.
    Unfortunately I think it's over. The Microsoft Site for compatibility says Windows 8 is okay but 8.1 isn't compatible. Maybe the people over at GOG are working on a fix, or someone else figured a work around. Losing hope.......

Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

If the game launches and then stops, the executable process is most likely being terminated. That means antivirus. I can't imagine any modern Windows 8 retail rig would ship without antivirus installed, so I'd find it and follow the steps in the known issues thread regarding antivirus software.

5. Stan094158

Stan094158 Member

it doesn't launch, or at least I don't think it does. The menu for CO8 opens, I can activate it. I've enabled and installed a Portraits Package. But when I press the play button on the bottom left, the box is gone and I'm instantly back on the desktop.

I've followed a link to the Microsoft Compatibility Site and they have drop down boxes to check compatibility for the game. It says Windows 8 is compatible and 8.1 is not. I could swear in all my reading about this that someone said they were playing fine on Windows 8 until they ran their update to 8.1, but I can't seem to find that post again.

If I didn't mention this early, I should now,....... I'm not that bright. I've looked at the C drive and don't recognize anything that looks like anti virus or spyware. I'm new to Windows 8, in the control panel under security the only thing that shows up is the firewall. Starting again with, I'm not that bright, I ran a search on the hard drive for anti virus and came up with nothing. I hope it is as easy as identifying some software and allowing access or disabling it.
    I'm about to find some random teenager to look at the system.

Any guidance would be followed, I just want to play.

6. Stan094158

Stan094158 Member

Thanks for all the help and a special shut out to the people over at GOG for their support. They walked me through running a DXDiag Report and explained that the upgrade to Windows 8.1 doesn't install the graphics driver needed to run anything other than the Basic functions needed for Windows.
    A few searches later and weeding through lots of angry posts from people affected by this, lead me to a site with a Windows 8 supported driver than is supposed to solve my issues.

Hopefully I'll be creating a new party and heading back to Hommlett soon.

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Glad to hear it, and thanks for following up! Hopefully your note will help anyone else who experiences this problem.

8. Stan094158

Stan094158 Member

I gave up on Windows 8.1 and pulled out an old HP EliteBook 6930p with Windows 7 Pro. I installed the game from GOG and it launches. I can run the game now which is farther than I got with Windows 8. I downloaded the latest Java 8 and installed it. I downloaded CO8 Mod 8.1 several times and can't get it to install. I tried to open it with each of the four apps in the Java folder, a black box opens, flashes and then disappears. I tried saving the file. I tried running it straight from the download. I can't get it to install. The file downloads 623MB. I tried to open up the firewall to allow access and the program doesn't even show up when I use the browse feature to search the fold its in.

Any suggestions?

9. Stan094158

Stan094158 Member

Never mind, I guess 15th time is charm. I deleted everything including antivirus. Re loaded it all, installed, then loaded anti-virus. I am up and running with a dedicated laptop for GOG. Thanks again for everyone who posts, both issues and answers.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

With Win7 its best to run everything as admin. Right click on the exe you downloaded and choose run as admin, this will bypass many security issues. Also be sure to have your game installed somewhere other than program files.

Our Host!