Scarlet Brotherhood questions [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rudy, Apr 15, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

SPOILERS!!!

So... help me understand how this is supposed to be working, exactly. Apparently they have poisons which bypass poison *immunity* AND allow no saving throw. Even when I managed to kill three of the four of them in the first round, they STILL beat me automatically. Scripted losses aren't fun for anyone.

2. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Ok, cool; I replayed it and was able to kill them all before they auto-won. Is that going to screw anything else up later?

3. chano

chano Established Member

Let them drug you, u will wake and have a tough fight ahead of you.

4. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I'm aware of that, but I can't let them drug me. It breaks my immersion too much to just let them win, given that they realistically couldn't in the structure of D & D versus a large party of 15th level characters.

Content that requires you to lose, or that completely ignores the immunities or strengths of your characters, is badly designed.

I wonder if the content could be changed to activate after you rest in the wild, so that they take your weapons while you sleep, or something; that would be more palatable, I think.

5. maalri

maalri Immortal

Agreed. Auto-fails goes against the very fabric of the game! I think it should be changed in SOME way.

6. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I've never been able to experience this scenario in the game. Could you guys in the know please inform me how to initiate this scenario and inform me exactly what happens in the scenario so that I can include this important information in the walkthrough? Use spoiler tags in your answer. Thanks in advance.

7. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I also look forward to the information. I have never been able to initiate it either. Is it an evil only quest?

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

In general it's something like this:

1. Get involved with the Scarlet Brotherhood.
    2. Accept at least one job from them.
    3. Narc them out to one of the Verbobonc captains. Depending on how serious it is, they'll react differently.

Follow the narrative of the story and eventually the SB will put a hit on you that takes place in a RE.

9. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Is it something goodies can do? or is it evil only? No paladins in my current group so I don't mind pretending to be evil to narc them out. Same with the hexorites. Though I have already won the WOTGS.

10. Gaear

Yeah, I don't believe there are any alignment restrictions.

11. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I think you actually have to talk to Darlia in his jail cell after he is arrested, and then he tells you that you are going to be ambushed.

12. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Looked at the code. It's (spoilers):

Accept a quest to do bad things from Darlia > Turn darlia in > a bit later, darlia is in prison, talk to him > ten days later, the random encounter is in the queue, and so you can get it wandering around outside > auto-lose to deus ex machina poison after 2 rounds or less > fade to black > cliche Bond villain monologue > fight some monsters in your boxers.

13. Gaear

Rudy, a little less forced sarcasm if you don't mind.

14. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Yep, HeJason, you are right - that's where I went wrong - I didn't go talk to Darlia in gaol. I re-read Gaear's old summary about that scenario in the walkthrough, and sure enough, he stated that the player needs to talk to Darlia in gaol in order for the RE (Random Encounter) to happen. I look forward to my next playthrough of the modpack where I will be able to experience some cool new content (for me). Thanks for your help, guys.

15. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Sorry, no offense intended; it is my natural medium of communication.

Our Host!