A Party for the Ages

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Spider Dwarf, Apr 20, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

Only DR that that is bypassed by Lawful weapons...

By level 4 their fists are considered magical to bypass DR, and by level 10 lawful.
    Nothing has DR that is bypassed by lawful alone though... some things are bypassed by magic, some by lawful AND good (and often other stuff; such as lawful and good and silver)

Anyways... when I said bypass I meant "do enough damage"... There are plenty of creatures totally immune to physical damage, which is where the lightening fire and ice enhancements come in. (which monks don't get unarmed)... then there are cases you don't stand a chance in hell of bypassing the DR (cold iron, silver, etc).
    When I said bypass I meant "do enough damage to overcome" rather then "bypass"... because even with a weapon and crafting you don't get to bypass most DR types in this game. There are silver (isn't there also cold iron?) ARROWS and BOLTS but that is it.

Oh, and monks hands are considered one handed... so they don't get 1.5x to str bonus and 2x to power attack bonus.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

For memory, Basil has pointed out that the 'fists become Lawful' shtick does not happen in ToEE.

3. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Yeah, but how about coding it into the game? Cuz playing a gnomish dwarf is starting to sound interesting.

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I'm all about the gnomish dwarf. A character who is constantly torn not knowing who he really is.

5. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Brain before fingers! Imagine the mother and father meeting for the first time. <g> Ahh, if only I could write what I dream. What I intended to type was dwarven monk.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

6 Female Halfling Bards. I will say no more. ;)

7. taltamir

this is not only awesome, its totally playable!
    they might not be able to craft the most powerful items, but they can craft enough, they are all 6/9 casters and medium bab fighters... so it actually works out pretty well...
    not the best min-maxed party by a long shot but you can actually defeat strong opponents and the idea is just awesome.

8. Mortificator

Mortificator Member

What would the worst party be? Maybe a mix of half-orc wizards and dwarf sorcerers.

9. taltamir

no. Magic is win... and a -2 isn't gonna stop them from doing anything. 18-2=16, +6 from item + 5 from levelups... they will not be hampered.

Not being able to craft or cast spells is a huge detriment. making all martial party the weakest. Of those an all monk party is the weakest, because monk is the only pure martial class that doesn't have full BAB, use armor, or use weapons.
    Monk's defenses are inferior to armor, monks hands are inferior to weapons, and monks BAB is inferior.

Casters fall into three categories:
    9/9 aka full casters = Wizards, sorcerers, clerics, druids.
    6/9 casters = Bards
    4/9 casters = paladins & rangers

Of the full BAB classes:
    The barbarian gets rage, fast movement, and damage reduction.
    The fighter gets lots of feats.
    The ranger and paladin get 4/9 casting and a bunch of abilities (animal companion, lay on hands, turn, etc).

A monk doesn't get feats, it doesn't get good bab, it doesn't get any castings, its special abilities are crap, it doesn't have good HD, it can't wear armor, it focuses on unarmed strikes which are inferior to any weapon in existance, etc... It is by far the most useless and pathetic of all classes.

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Worst party?

1 elf wizard?

11. taltamir

1 elf wizard is superior 1 one monk.

12. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Nah, a drunken gnome with an inferiority complex and a wife on the warpath, for him! :chairshot

Actually the worst PC I ever had back in the day was a human cleric blind in one eye and with a limp. He was fun to play as long as you were careful and ended up being pretty good. The Gods Taketh, and the Gods Giveth—he was lucky as all get out. I created him back in the early 80's by combining some Judge's Guild rules with 1st Ed. AD&D rules.

13. taltamir

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Maybe I'll play a 1 dwarf monk game after 5.8.0 is out then :p

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

That'll learn 'em :p
    Well, I actually can think of a possible way to fix that (or a work-around, I should say) but what sort of example would that be, if I fixed bugs that had no bearing on the game? We get more than enough such reports.

Our Host!