ToEE & Co8 on OS X Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by rex_blade, Oct 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. rex_blade

rex_blade Established Member

After a few days running ToEE on my Macbook Pro Unibody w/ Snow Leopard I'm ready to report my findings.

Hallelujah.

For those not in the know, I was originally trying to get the game to run on my Windows 7 boot with minimal success. Later I found out about Crossover Games and this tutorial. It really does the trick. I can run ToEE w/ Co8 5.6.0 with pretty good stability. Performance is also excellent whether running on the on-board graphics or the standalone adapter.

Issues:
    -There is some kind of weird bug with the mouse. After an indeterminate amount of time the cursor will lock as the selection arrow and will not change, even when attempting to cast a spell or attack. Quicksave and restart appears to be a fair workaround for the time being.

-As a further extension of the previous bug, again after an indeterminate amount of time, the OS X cursor will blip appear on my screen and there will be a weird tug of war thing going on when I put the ToEE cursor near it. Quicksave and restart resolves works around it.

-You cannot use ToEE Front End as .Net Framework does not install properly. The tutorial above describes how to unpack the mod content manually, but perhaps some of the modders would like to chime in on how this could possibly affect the game?

All that aside I was disappointed when I got to Nulb and found that Tolub was broken. I'm going to put the game on the shelf until the next Co8 release when he and the masterwork items in Homlett are fixed.

But, really keep up the good work guys. When I found the game in my parent's garage and decided to give it a whirl, I was blown away that you were all still working on it. Looking forward to 5.6.2 :)

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Glad you have it working - only one word of caution: Quicksave is a very, very bad idea under any circumstance. Quicksaves tend to corrupt very easily for some reason, and will lead you eventually to the ToEE Valley of Unhappiness. Take the extra few seconds to save in a regular slot if at all possible.

Our Host!