Call Familliar

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Silencer, Aug 28, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Isn't this caused by crafting being broken? And hasn't this been fixed? He may need to patch...

2. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

are you saying the BONUS they give is just +1? or that the NAME of the item says '+1"
    because you have to manually input a correct name, and can call anything whatever you want with crafting. I can call my enchanted buckler a +25 sword of godslaying if I want to

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

"All right son, just put down the buckler, we don't want any accidents now..."

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Relax, S/T...I think he meant one of the many false gods, not the one real God.

;)

5. Silencer

Silencer Member

it wus all couse of the old crack .... i have found a new NoCD crack and that fixed up my problems .... sorry 4 not posting earlier ..... i couldn't .... some problems with the internet ....
    it sux when u have a Lucent 56k .... and a worse provider(not sure that this is the right word)

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

provider is the right english word. (and thats ok bout the other thing you PM'ed me about)

hey I just noticed Allyx called me a pixel wizard, well its just a couple of levels the rest is more sorcerer...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  7. Silencer

Silencer Member

Cujo i wus thinking that the all 18's cheat wus something like Editor and i wus trying to find a download link.... I pm-ed you before i check the link out... That bug or whatever is so stupid thing in the game ... they should fix that thing... and disable the Roll(only advanced)... and of course the familliar should be a little animal .... About the rest ... Game kickass :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

It's a bug and it doesn't effect the game, sometimes I think they left it there on purpose. I doesn't make any difference one way or the other really.

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

At long last the summonable familiars are here!

Here's a link to the Co8-4.0.0. (non-renegade mods updated game files)

UPDATED to include Ceruleans script fix below.

With thanks to Cerulean the Blue and Darmagon for LOTS of scripting help, the summonable familiars are better than I'd hoped.

For those trying out Darmagon's spells and sober Elmo mod's I've file compared those recent mods with the Familiar summons mod into these file updates (These attached files should be after all other renegade mods).

UPDATED to include Ceruleans script fix below.
    UPDATED to include the resizing of rapiers and the periapt of wound closure equip slot fix.

To summon the familiar drag the familiar's inventory icon onto the use item button.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  10. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Whoops. I forgot to mention this. The first time you summon the familiar you drag it's inventory icon to the use button. Every time after that you have to summon it from the radial menu. For some reason it won't show up in the radial menu before you have summoned it once, and after the first time you can't summon it from the inventory. I have no idea why this is.

I tried everything I could think of to allow you to control the familiars actions (hitting it with Suggestion, Dominate Animal, Dominate Person, etc.), all to no avail. So, like animal companions, they still charge off into battle with no reguard to their safety whatsoever. This might be a problem, since even though they have a decent AC, they have really low hp at low levels, and if they die the owner loses a point of CON. Until we come up with some tougher familiars (psuedodragon?), they may still be best left in the backpack.

EDIT: This has been fixed. They can now be controled if you have room in your party. See my post below.

The self-targeting spells thing still doesn't work (That's the bit about spells that only target the caster can target the familiar instead). That would require inserting some code into all the .py files for self-targeting spells. I am going to ask darmagon to help with this, since he has mentioned in a post somewhere that he can do it in batch form. And it will probably end up targeting both the owner and familiar, not just one or the other. A familiar with Mirror Image. That's an interesting idea.

@Kalshane - I had to fiddle the attack bonus in the protos to make up for the fact that the game doesn't have Weapon Finesse: Natural Attack. I raised it to compensate for the negative strenght bonus and added in the dex bonus. This will screw the rules compliance as far as using spells like Bulls Strenght and Cats Grace on them, but it was the best solution I could come up with.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  11. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

@Cerulean the Blue

Did you try using follower_add (after checking to make sure the party wasn't full) instead of ai_follower_add ? Don't know if that would work but it might be worth a shot.

Darmagon

12. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

It does work. Thank you Darmagon!

So, now we have a spell script that will add the familiar your party, fully controlable just like any other party member, as long as you have less than 8 characters in the party. If you have 8 characters, then the spell will still summon the familiar, but you won't be able to control it, though it will still fight for you.

Just unzip this to your scr folder. We will work on getting it integrated into the complete download.

I should probably add that the summoned familiars stick around for 8 hours.

EDIT: This fix has been integrated into the all the downloads in Allyx's post #24 in this thread.

Attached Files:

13. maalri

maalri Immortal

So, Blue, you are saying with just YOUR download-not the other one from Allyx, I can get a controllable familiar?
    Veddy, Veddy, Kewl!!

Should be cake making tougher familiars now right? Like someone did with a Panda bear a while back on Animal Companion?

Also- I had this idea for the times when the familiar is NOT controllable-- is it possible to make the familiar always run from battle? Maybe treat the .protos or whatever the thing is that is actually the "familiar" in the code as if it were under a "Turning" much like an "Turned" undead?

If all familiars scooted as far away as possible in combat, but were otherwise hanging, flying, or hopping around, that'd be very nice.

Also if they ran like being turned, in addition to their other defensive bonuses you gave them, that would make them live a bit longer right?

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I added blue's script fix to the attached files, and the control only works for familiars in this mod, not animal companions unfortunately.

15. maalri

maalri Immortal

Sorry for the confusion Allyx, I meant to say familiars can be created right? Like someone did when they made the Panda animal follower? I have no interest in further controlling animal followers-well not in this thread anyway ;)

So how do I do this particular mod again? Or, in deference to Blues constant urging, should I just download both and read the Read Mes?? :)

Our Host!