Charmed Bugbear everlasting loyalty

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ithildur, Feb 27, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

This is a new one for me; I charmed a greater temple bugbear at one point in the temple with Burne, then at some point asked Burne to leave the group. I continued on my merry way with with the party, rampaging through temple lvl 2, when suddenly the bugbear decided to run off out of sight range, straight into a will o' wisp, and managed to get himself killed before the party could catch up.

I dealt with the wisp eventually (figured it saved me the trouble of killing the minion myself later) then tried to loot the dead bugbear, and discovered that selecting a PC then clicking on the dead bugbear results in selecting the fallen bugbear like a party NPC rather than looting his corpse. His portrait isn't in the row of selectable party member portraits (never was at any point, as it was a Charm spell not Dominate Person) yet ever since his death to the WIsp he continues to function like a party member NPC. I even tried rezzing him with Meleny's Reincarnation and he still continues to behave exactly like a party member, i.e. came back to life, has a 'blue circle' underneath him when selected, attacking him does not break the charm, etc. Killing him again doesn't fix this either, as he continues to function just like a dead party member; in short mr. Bugbear functions EXACTLY like a party member except that he doesn't have a portrait in the party portrait row.

Any ideas or solutions?

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Can you upload a save?

3. ithildur

Done.

Attached Files:

4. Sitra Achara

That's an interesting bug. To get rid of the bugbear, you can just pass enough time until his corpse decays. Or, bring up the console, select ONLY the bugbear, and type
    Code:
    game.leader.destroy()

5. ithildur

Thanks! Something like this was what I was hoping for, though I forgot corpses do decay after a long while.

6. ithildur

Although the above command destroys the character at the leftmost slot (which makes sense, as it says game leader), not selected character...

I did just find this from an old post from 2005:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2277

And also this http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1565

Looks like I need the specific protos number for the specific critter (Greater Temple Bugbear, unfortunately there's probably more than one critter with that name); where would one find a list of such?

7. Sitra Achara

If the ONLY character you select is the bugbear, game.leader would designate him. Are you sure you aren't selecting party members too? The only one with a blue circle should be the bugbear!
    Actually, it might not work if he's unconscious - I'm going off of your save.

Otherwise there's a command

a = game.leader.group_list()

You would then need to choose the number that matches the bugbear - a[8] works in your save, if it doesn't play around with the number until it returns the bugbear. Then a[x].destroy().

8. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

This should remove the bugbear, given your current setup in your save game:

Code:
    game.party[8].destroy() 

The number in brackets (a python list) starts at "0", and is counted from left to right in your party order at the bottom of the screen. Once you get past the displayed characters, the list will start counting familiars, charmed creatures, animated dead, and other tag-alongs.

So, currently in your party:

game.party[0] is Daren
    game.party[1] is Meleny
    game.party[6] is Ronald
    game.party[7] is Otis
    game.party[8] is the Bugbear
    game.party[9] is the Brown Bear familiar

Note that after you destroy the bugbear this way, the list adjusts itself, the Brown Bear will then become game.party[8], and game.party[9] will no longer exist.

9. ithildur

That would work, thanks a bunch.

Our Host!