Circle of Eight Forum

Go Back   Circle of Eight Forum > Modding > General Modification

Notices

General Modification Here there be modders! In these hallowed halls, you'll find a wealth of ToEE modding info.

View The Keep on the Borderlands on Mod DBDownload Keep on the Borderlands 1.0.1 from Mod DBView The Keep on the Borderlands on Mod DB

Old March 14th, 2012   #1
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Exclamation Project Jerkstop: The Final Solution

EDIT - Jerkstop is dead. It was caused by the use of the tutorial popup boxes in Hommlet.

Okay people, we need volunteers to test Project Jerkstop: The Final Solution.

What is the final solution to jerkstop, you ask? Well I don't know, but I hope we'll find out so we can put it to bed once and for all and get a release out (hopefully by v8) that no longer features it. I have some ideas that I am at least reasonably hopeful will pan out, and they are not based on fantasies but basic deduction.

To this end we need a pool of volunteers, preferably around 10, who will bravely test various beta releases to whittle down what works and what doesn't and then whittle it down some more until we have something real. These releases will range from control groups testing pre-jerkstop releases of the mod (like v3.0.4) to various other custom betas, like ones with all Hommlet mobs removed or various stages thereof, etc.

All that is required to participate in this noble work is a predisposition to experience jerkstop, a brave heart, and an unbridled hatred for having your game sullied by this terrible affliction.

So come together for the big win and sign up here. This probably won't start for a while yet but we should get the ball rolling nonetheless.

[edit]

TESTERS
  1. gazra_1971
  2. GuardianAngel82
  3. emo_ome
  4. FredSRichardson
  5. _
  6. _
  7. _
  8. _
  9. _
Old March 14th, 2012   #2
gazra_1971
Knights of Legend

Re: Project Jerkstop: The Final Solution

I volunteer to be one of the beta testers. I have experienced jerkstop in Hommlet using my computer (which is unchanged since I experienced the jerkstop, except for the version of the Circle of Eight Modpack NC that is active on my computer, that is).
gazra_1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012   #3
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Thanks gazra.
Old March 15th, 2012   #4
GuardianAngel82
Hill Giant

Well, since I was the first to complain about it, be misunderstood and ignored, gave it the name "Jerkstop", campaigned to explain which phonomenom it referred to, participated in previous attempts to fix it (signpost) and generally have had all my games messed up by it for years to the point I don't play it much any more, and, of course, to bump this thread...uh...where was I going with this?

Oh, yeah! Gaear, I'll help out with this, especially since I'm a prime beneficiary.

Come on folks! It's easy. All you do is download and add a file, or delete a file, then say if it worked. MAYBE you might answer a few questions. G man can't do it all. He's too busy wasting time with all the new stuff.
Old March 16th, 2012   #5
emo_ome
Butcher Of Hommlet

I'll join too.
Old March 16th, 2012   #6
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Cool, the team is coming together. Thanks guys.
Old March 19th, 2012   #7
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

*BUMP*

Need MOAR testers. I promise this will not be painful for you (no more painful than playing the modpack is now anyway). All you will do is play (test) version x of the modpack and report whether you get jerkstop or not. This will help everybody and is a necessary thing - it's not something I can test internally with any level of reliability. Sign up!
Old March 20th, 2012   #8
Mensch86
Zombie

I'd like to help out, but I wanna finish my current game before installing new mod versions. It's my first time that far into the game.
Mensch86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012   #9
m452shakespeare
Skeleton

Well, since my game just hit a brick wall because of it, I'm in.

I only hit it in Hommlet during WotGS, so any feedback may have to wait till then.
m452shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012   #10
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Thanks guys. Bear in mind that if you sign up, you'll be expected to ... 'deliver,' basically. Not trying to be snarky but a lot of times people just play and go, so we need ya for the long haul. (Long haul doesn't mean years or anything, but I fully expect us to be testing this over a period of weeks at least, after it starts. So if we start it in, say, two weeks, and it goes on for four weeks, that's at least 6 weeks. Are you good for that?)
Old March 25th, 2012   #11
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Bump ... still need more testers.
Old March 26th, 2012   #12
Obadiah
Zombie

I'm terrible at modding, and adding and deleting files, but I'll help test it out. I'm not sure I want to stop jerking though.
Old March 26th, 2012   #13
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Cool, thanks.
Old March 31st, 2012   #14
tom
Kobold

I am afraid I can’t help with the testing as I am currently trying to reduce my compulsive game playing however I was wondering If sharing my personal experience with jeckstop might help.
Computer – Samsung nc20 notebook –

• Screen: 12.1” LED WXGA (1280 x 800)
• CPU: VIA Nano™ ULV Processor U2250 (1.3+GHz, 800MHz)
• Chipset: VIA VX800 Unified Digital Media IGP Chipset
• Graphics: Integrated VIA Chrome9™ with DirectX 9.0 3D graphics support and hardware video acceleration
• Memory: 1GB DDR2 (1*SODMM)
• Storage: 160GB HDD (9.5mmH 2.5’’HDD, SATA)

Two different experiences one defiantly jerk stop one might be something different.

War of the golden skull, Homlett. Single character with 2-3 summoned/charmed henchmen / henchcreatures.

I think that Sneak mode was off but my memory is not too clear on this point.
Encountered severe jerks top towards the edges of the map – particularly bottom left.
I discover that toggling to combat mode allowed my character free movement – no jerk. But as soon as combat mode ended jerks top returned.

I have also encountered something that looks similar when trying to move charmed henchmen while sneaking. They will move a little way then freez in place. Turn the sneak of and they move fine.

I hope this helps

Cheers
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012   #15
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Okay people, it looks like we are going to be limited to six (hopefully) testers. That will be a bit thin but we'll have to make do. It does mean that the six of you will probably have to test a bit more rigorously.

To that end, I think we can start with the initial testing, which is simply to verify that jerkstop is limited to versions 5.5 and onward (so that we can conclude that it was something added or changed in v5.5 that caused it).

So, please do the following:

gazra_1971, emo_ome, and m452shakespeare: please download, install, activate, and play Co8 v3.0.4. It can be found in the downloads forum. It exists in the form of a regular module (like any of the modern ones), so you simply install and activate it like any other modpack.

GuardianAngel82, Mensch86, and Obadiah: please download, install, activate, and play Co8 v4.0.1. It can be found in the downloads forum. It exists in the form of a regular module (like any of the modern ones), so you simply install and activate it like any other modpack.

All - just play normally (whatever that means for you) and watch out for and report any instances of jerkstop. There is no need to report any other bugs. The only purpose of this testing is as regards jerkstop, period.

Please report your findings here. If there is no JS seen (as I suspect), we'll move onto various other forms of testing with the modern modpack.

Thanks.

p.s. - Testing these versions of the modpack (or any of the testing we do here) does not mean that you have to play the entire thing, start to finish. You can if you want, obviously, but the only thing really necessary is to test only so far as you would normally expect to have encountered JS in your various personal experiences.
Old April 3rd, 2012   #16
emo_ome
Butcher Of Hommlet

Okay Geaer, I'll start the testing.
Old April 4th, 2012   #17
GuardianAngel82
Hill Giant

Version 4.01. Wilco.
Old April 4th, 2012   #18
gazra_1971
Knights of Legend

General Ghoul was quite adamant recently that he experienced jerkstop while playing the original version of the computer game when it had just been released back in 2003.

Does the console and the cheat codes work for those early versions of the Circle of Eight Modpack? If so, are we allowed to use cheat codes to level up our characters and give our characters magical items, or do you want us to never use the console while testing for jerkstop?

You download the different versions of The Circle of Eight Modpack from the following link:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=102863&postcount=3

Is version 3.0.4 of The Circle of Eight Modpack seriously only 2.35 MB in size?

GuardianAngel82, can you rememeber roughly what version of the computer game (i.e. level of official Atari patching) or what version of the Circle of Eight Modpack that you first experienced jerkstop?

Last edited by gazra_1971; April 4th, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old April 4th, 2012   #19
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazra
Does the console and the cheat codes work for those early versions of the Circle of Eight Modpack? If so, are we allowed to use cheat codes to level up our characters and give our characters magical items, or do you want us to never use the console while testing for jerkstop?
Yeah, most of the codes should work, except for possibly some Co8 custom codes which may not have been defined at the time of that release.

I think I would prefer not artificially advancing, because it's possible that the effects of JS are to some degree cumulative and would thus require a regular progression to be seen.

Quote:
Is version 3.0.4 of The Circle of Eight Modpack seriously only 2.35 MB in size?
Yep. The only things modded in those days were simple .mes, script, and dialog files, basically.
Old April 5th, 2012   #20
GuardianAngel82
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazra_1971 View Post
General Ghoul
GuardianAngel82, can you rememeber roughly what version of the computer game (i.e. level of official Atari patching) or what version of the Circle of Eight Modpack that you first experienced jerkstop?
If someone can go back through my old posts and find the first instance I used the word "jerkstop" in a post, you should then be able to figure out what version of the game was current at the time. I'd try to do it now, but I've got to go to work.

All I remember is that the signpost had been around for a while.

Other relevant bits of information are that I don't get it until level 4, after I add Elmo and usually after I am killing the skeletons in Emridy Meadows and before I've done much at the Moathouse besides use it as a stopping point. All of this may be coincidence.

It is never present at the beginning of a game and progresses until the game is unplayable. It seems to announce itself with another phenomena: the party and nearby npc's are frozen in combat poses when I exit the Welcome Wench. I get it EVERY game. I haven't finished a game in years and don't play much anymore. I don't know anything about the WotGS stuff because I've never been able to get it to start.
Old April 5th, 2012   #21
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA82
If someone can go back through my old posts and find the first instance I used the word "jerkstop" in a post, you should then be able to figure out what version of the game was current at the time. I'd try to do it now, but I've got to go to work.
It was 5.5, which was the first release in a long while. (I think v5 was released in November 2006 or so, and then the modpack lagged on in 'cumulative mods and fixes' format for a while, then it stalled, then re-started in November 2008 with v5.5. 5.5 wrapped 5.0 and all the CMF stuff together, pretty much.
Old April 5th, 2012   #22
gazra_1971
Knights of Legend

The one and only time that I ever experienced GuardianAngel82's definition of "jerkstop" was when I was playing one of the 5.9.x NC modpacks or 6.x.x NC modpacks. My party consisted of 6 player-made PCs and I think that it happened approximately midway through my game (although I'm not sure about this). I ONLY started getting jerkstop while trying to move my party around central Hommlet (and maybe northern Hommlet as well) AFTER I started using the Hommlet signpost A LOT! This is why I believe that the jerkstop that I experienced was caused by my using the Hommlet signpost repeatedly. I first started experiencing jerkstop when my party was below the Hommlet signpost (between the Inn of the Welcome Wench and Brother Smyth). Then, as I tried to move my party around the Hommlet map, the jerkstop continued indefinitely.

I have occasionally been experiencing the phenomenon where all of the player's characters and all of Hommlet's NPCs standing outside are all stuck (frozen) in combat poses (stances) upon my party either exiting the Inn of the Welcome Wench or arriving at Hommlet using the world map (it seems to happen by far the most when arriving at South Hommlet) since the first time that I experienced jerkstop (i.e. which was with either 5.9.x NC or 6.x.x NC). This phenomenon seemed to happen most often when my party exited the Inn of the Welcome Wench just after my party had rested for 8 hours upstairs in the Inn of the Welcome Wench.

5.0.x Cumulative Mods & Fixes (CMF) Bug Reports and Discussion Thread

(note: where mentioned, FE = Front End)

page 43 0f 46

GuardianAngel82 (October 15th, 2008) (post #1289)

I feel like this is not a new problem, and since it's not being mentioned by anyone else, it's probably something I did. So don't do too much research on this. Just give me a generic answer.

Sometimes, when I click to move the group, the blue circles (discs) appear and the party starts moving, then abruptly, the discs disappear, and the party stops. This is similar to a problem where combat is not successfully being initiated, though not as abrupt.

This happens only in Homlett, mostly near the woodworker, though occasionally near the blacksmith, militia captain's residence and even less near the Welcome Wench and Kent's (grandmother's) house.

Also, sometimes when I leave a building, the characters are frozen and unmoveable in combat(?) poses.

It's in the new 5.0.6, without the new front end. Any ideas?

page 44 of 46

Emirkol the Chaotic (October 17th, 2008) (post #1298)

Yup I can confirm this. Encountered it last night on a trip from the Wench to the Woodcutter. Easily fixed by exiting map and returning. No "combat stance" issues leaving any buildings yet.

GuardianAngel82 (October 17th, 2008) (post #1299)

That's where the problem was the worst for me.

Ausdoerrt (October 18th, 2008) (post #1300)

Encountered that twice during my playthrough. Mostly happened in the heavily modded areas though (verbobonc or hickory, don't remember). A save and then restart of the game seemed to solve the problem though.

"Also, sometimes when I leave a building, the characters are frozen and unmoveable in combat(?) poses."

Emirkol the Chaotic (October 21st, 2008) (post #1303)

Just encountered this problem myself a few days ago, after returning to Hommlet. Again, moving off the map and back cleared up the problem.

Running v5.0.6 with the old FE. No other issues and this one is a minor one, at best.

Emirkol the Chaotic (October 21st, 2008) (post #1305)

Nope, it's everyone in the party, NPC's included. They're all locked in "combat stance" mode and the game sort of "freezes" up. The music and background sounds play, but you cannot move or interact with any PC or NPC. Going to the world map, traveling to say, Deklo Grove and then back again solves this issue. In fact, once you leave the map for a new location, the issue clears.

Only had it happen in Hommlet right near the Inn and had the disappearing blue circles issue on the way from the Inn to the Woodcutters. Almost to the letter from GA82's prior posts. No weird effects when exiting any buildings in Hommlet. All the other maps/areas/etc all seem to be clear of these issues.

Shiningted (October 21st, 2008) (post #1306)

Ahhh, so you escape by using the Worldmap. Hmmm...

Well, guys, we're taking these issues seriously but apparently there have been no changes to that part of the map in the latest mod. But we'll keep working on it.

GuardianAngel82 (November 1st, 2008) (post #1330)

This is just an update on the freeze/jerkstop phenomena:

The problem just occurred for the first time in my present game. I just made 6th level.
I just killed Smigmal's Assassin. I just used the miniature planar chest (which regularly breaks the game session) for the first time. I had a freeze when I left the Wench after resting from killing the assassin. Broke it by leaving town. Later (not immediately on returning), I had a jerkstop on the way to the blacksmith.

Once again, since it's not a common problem, it doesn't seem urgent.

GuardianAngel82 (November 1st, 2008) (post #1331)

Update: I haven't been watching for this, but on the last occurrence, the smith was frozen as I jerkstopped my way over to him. I could talk to him and trade with him.

This "feels" like the game is trying to initiate combat. Does any of the assassin's equipment do this? Probably not.

erkper (November 10th, 2008) (post #1338)

I can verify GA's "freeze in Hommlet" bug - it started midway through my latest game.

GuardianAngel82 (November 10th, 2008) (post #1340)

Update on that (I was paying closer attention this time.):

1. It started at 4th level this time. Perhaps its a mild save corruption.
2. It doesn't have anything to do with the assassin. (Duh!)
3. It seems to be associated with map changes, both buildings and big map.
4. It's always outside and in Hommlet.
5. It seems to be associated with the Smith or the Woodcutter, and perhaps the children.
6. Sometimes it's a freeze, sometimes a movement abruptly ends before completion (jerkstop).
7. Sometimes the outdoor NPC's are frozen, sometimes not.
8. Maybe related, Bro Smith never hammers anymore. Was any of that "Night" stuff implemented?
9. Jerkstop is similar to phenomena during movement when combat is not initiating properly.

* Easily fixed by entering a building (unless frozen) or leaving Hommlet.

GuardianAngel82 (November 10th, 2008) (post #1343)

It seems to be some sort of map condition that exists upon arrival on the Hommlet exterior map, from inside the Welcome Wench, for example, or from outside the town. I've never gone to the smith with it not happening, followed by it happening later while still on that map. It's either consistent or not present.

I'm reporting it because it's new for me, and I'd like others to report if they start experiencing it repeatedly. Perhaps just one similar occurrence is not the same thing. Once it starts for me, it seems to reoccur randomly, but somewhat regularly.

It is absolutely NOT a game breaker, just a mild nuisance. I doubt it would be worthwhile to spend any time investigating it. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes away the next I add a new patch, or rebuild the game.

It could be an artifact of my present build. Or some interaction between the game and the sweltering shitfest that is my Toshiba with Vista. For example, I've started getting lock ups from some sort of video failure. This never happened when I first got this computer. I'm sure it's the computer, not the game suddenly having higher graphic requirements.

Since it's not common, it can't be important right now. It would be fine to wait until we know more. Thanks for your concern, though.

erkper (November 10th, 2008) (post #1344)

This is exactly how it occurs for me, and for both of us it only started after we patched the game to 5.0.6 (IIRC the first time GA reported it) so I am inclined to think it is something with the latest build, not a random glitch. But like GA says, it is not a gamebreaker and will likely go away just as mysteriously as it appeared.

Emirkol the Chaotic (November 10th, 2008) (post #1345)

I second this. Yet I've only had the freeze bug occur twice so far and those incidents were spaced quite apart. Easily corrected by exiting Hommlet to a different map, say the grove, and then returning to Hommlet.

Running the same 5.0.6 build as Erkper and GA82 with the old FE.
Didn't upgrade to the new FE, waiting for new CMF.

Shiningted (November 10th, 2008) (post #1346)

Yah: I certainly do believe that somehow or other this is something that has been introduced by 5.0.6, but it might also only occur on certain equipment, for whatever reason. Some of the slowdowns / freezes reported on certain maps in KotB only occur for me on my laptop, not on my proper PC, so its a combination of software and hardware. Makes it hard to replicate if that is the issue, but we'll keep trying.

GuardianAngel82 (November 14th, 2008) (post #1347)

More detail on the freeze/jerkstop phenomenom:

At 7th level, my characters signposted to the cabinet makers to sell some goblin wares. When they appeared, they were frozen, so I panned around to see what else was going on. Black Jay and his animals were frozen, as was a nearby badger. As I continued to pan, everybody unfroze and a second badger walked onto the screen from the direction I was panning towards.

Perhaps this is associated with the regular game activity where NPC's are frozen until your party is nearby.

I am reporting this, not because it is urgent, but because it is interesting. It is really not more than a minor nuisance, and no resources should be expended trying to work on it.

Emirkol the Chaotic (November 15th, 2008) (post #1348)

Had something similar (if not the same) occur last night on level 3 of the Temple. The freeze occurred right at the entrance to the Jackals and Jackalweres room. Everything froze up and seemed to "stutter". The music played and the "Bless" spell effects were still working (although the spell effects seemed to suffer from stuttering as well).

This occurrence was slightly different in effect from the freezes encountered in Hommlet.

Was able to restart from an old save and never had it occur since.

Running XP, v5.0.6 mod, and the old FE. Definitely an interesting phenomenon but NOT a game breaker. More of a "frustrated sigh" kind of deal.

Last edited by gazra_1971; April 5th, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old April 5th, 2012   #23
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Thanks for the rundown, gazra. Remember that one of the later 5.x releases already did not have the Hommlet signpost in it (accidentally), and we still got jerkstop reports. Still, a signpost-less trial will probably feature in one of our test mods here again anyway.
Old April 5th, 2012   #24
GuardianAngel82
Hill Giant

So 5.06 is where it appeared?
Old April 5th, 2012   #25
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Well 5.0.6 was just one of the many iterations of the CMF, toward the end of its run. 5.5 rolled them all together and that's when JS took off.
Old April 6th, 2012   #26
gazra_1971
Knights of Legend

Quote:
Remember that one of the later 5.x releases already did not have the Hommlet signpost in it (accidentally)
Yeah, that was 5.8.1 (which was the first version of the Circle of Eight Modpack that I ever played, incidentally). I was under the impression that the Hommlet signpost had been deliberately removed from that version of the modpack in order to test whether players still experienced jerkstop as part of the "Jerkstop Testing" project that first tried to determine the cause of jerkstop.

Gaear, do you still want us to test versions 3.0.4 and 4.0.1 of the Co8 modpack for jerkstop?

I was wrong about the circumstances of my first experience with jerkstop with this game. Going back through old posts, I came across the following relevant posts:

The following link contains the following paragraph and images:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=101600&postcount=625

Originally posted by gazra_1971:
Quote:
I just experienced jerkstop for the first time ever. I had just rested for 8 hours upstairs in the Inn of the Welcome Wench and when I exited the inn, I immediately experienced jerkstop (see screenshots below). I eventually made my way back into the inn, and when I exited the inn again, I no longer experienced jerkstop. I am almost certain that I never used the Sign Posts in 5.9.2 NC (I did use the sign posts a few times in 5.9.1 NC). I have NEVER opened the command console in the game. My OS is Windows XP SP3. I am not using nor have I ever used the no-CD crack. I never experienced jerkstop in 5.8.1 NC.
(see the first 2 screenshots below named jerkstop.JPG and jerkstop 2.JPG)

The following link contains the following paragraph and image:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=101814&postcount=642

Originally posted by General Ghoul:
Quote:
I got a ripple just before experiencing jerkstop near the signpost:
(see the third screenshot below named ripplec.png)

The following link contains the following paragraph and image:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=102008&postcount=665

Originally posted by gazra_1971:
Quote:
One time, after I rested for 8 hours in the Inn of the Welcome Wench, when I exited the inn, I was unable to move any of my characters around Hommlet (see screenshot below). It looks as though everybody is in combat mode (even though I never initiated combat mode and the game was not in combat mode). Notice how the Hommlet NPCs to either side of my party also appear to be in combat mode (i.e. Furnok to the left, and Cavanaugh the Beggar to the right). However, I was able to use the world map to travel elsewhere, and my game functioned normally from then on. However, when I loaded my last saved game before this incident, and did exactly the same things as before, the exact same problem occurred again (i.e. my characters exited the inn in a combat stance, unable to move at all around Hommlet).
(see the last screenshot below named game frozen.JPG)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jerkstop.JPG (88.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg jerkstop 2.JPG (89.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ripplec.jpg (72.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg game frozen.JPG (79.8 KB, 8 views)
Old April 6th, 2012   #27
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
Gaear, do you still want us to test versions 3.0.4 and 4.0.1 of the Co8 modpack for jerkstop?
Yes.
Old April 6th, 2012   #28
emo_ome
Butcher Of Hommlet

Update: Still playing v3.0.4 and I'm on the temple now, I've been going back in forth to Hommlet and no sign for any jerkstop.
Old April 6th, 2012   #29
Gaear
Bastard Maestro
Administrator

Thanks emo.

@m452shakespeare, Mensch86, and Obadiah - are you on board?
Old April 9th, 2012   #30
emo_ome
Butcher Of Hommlet

Finished the game, and I haven't seen any jerkstop. Gaear, v3.0.4 is pretty much like the vanilla right, w/ a couple of fixes?