Juggernaut question: how should I fix?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Apr 25, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

A lot of people have been reporting this problem with multiple Juggernauts.

This isn't something being caused by my mod, however, I can fix it from happening.

My question is this.

How many Juggernauts should be there?

I only ever get one in my game. Should I make it so that there is only 1?

Or should I leave it as is?

Let me know what you all think.

- Livonya

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I'm pretty sure there should only be the one.

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

One is more than enough for me.

4. Sheriff05

Sheriff05 Member

Juggernaut is a unique in the mod, there should always be just one.
    Out of curiosity "why" is more than one spawning?
    I have never seen more than one in the game previously.
    I haven't gotten that far in either of Liv's mods yet, but I am hoping
    Belsornig fights to the best of his ability. If he does combined with one properly functioning Juggernaut with the remaining fodder should make the water temple one of the hardest encounters in the game. as it always was in PNP.

5. Livonya

I have no idea why more than 1 appears. I have never seen more than 1 personally.

I don't know how to fix this problem. What I do know how to do is to write a script that will simply deleate any extra Juggernauts.

So if more Juggernauts appear my script will simply deleate them.

Once I get the script written I will post it.

- Livonya

6. VaultDweller

VaultDweller Member

Thank you Livonya, that will help a bunch :)

7. Livonya

Test Fix... help me test?

I have no way of getting more than one Juggernaut in my game.

So I need someone to test this.

You need to be using my 1.5 mod.

Please put the protos.tab folder in your rules folder and the py00310livonya3f.py file in your scr folder.

This should fix the Juggernaut problem no matter what state your game is in. So hopefully someone that gets more than 1 Juggernaut can test this and let me know if it is working as planned.

thanks!

- Livonya

Attached Files:

8. Zebedee

If save games work after being zipped and e-mailed, I can send you a save game which has 100% replication in 1.0. (I've just cleared my save games for a fresh testing session with 1.5, but this one was zipped when problem first came up). PM me your spam e-mail addy and I'll send it on.

NB I guessed that there were 5 files needed for the save game to work so all got zipped.

Will test the fix in a little while when gf gives me my datacard back.

Edit: The fix works as follows (using my version 1.0 test party with a 2 juggernaut spawn). Two juggernauts spawn as before. Number 1 juggernaut takes its turn. Number 2 juggernaut autodestructs upon its turn.

Huge thanks Livonya.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  9. Livonya

Zebedee -

You can test this with my mod version 1.0

Just make a copy of your current protos.tab file (just change the name to REALprotos.tab or something like that) and then just add this new protos.tab file to your rules folder.

Once you are done with the test just deleate the protos.tab file and change the REALprotos.tab file back to protos.tab

I don't have computer where I can get e-mail at the moment. Yeah, I know that sounds crazy but it is true. I can get e-mail at work (on a MAC computer) but I have no way to transfer the data to my home computer...

Anyway, I am hoping someone can test this out for me...

- Livonya

10. Zebedee

Tested with 1.0 and 1.5 last night. Your fix works by destroying the surplus juggernauts on their turns after they have spawned. >:)

Nice one and thank you - this game is so strange in the way that bugs pop up for some people and not others. Even registry cleaning seems to leave odds and ends about; I took Norton to it the other day trying to see what was going on hehe

11. Livonya

Interesting, I figured it would happen so fast that you wouldn't ever see the extras. Normally each time you enter the map it should destroy any others, but the worst case scenario is that they are destroyed during their round of comabt... that works too, I guess.

Thanks for giving it a try.

- Livonya

12. Zebedee

This is probably not much use in trying to fix the bug.. but..

the way the juggernauts spawn is interesting. Your party enters the room. There is one juggernaut. Combat mode starts automatically (I've had combat mode start and then continue after the Water High Priest talks to me on occasions). There is a flash of grey smoke around the juggernaut. And then you get another one appear. Occasionally, this goes on until you have as many as other people have described.

'Tis mad as hats but your fix works so everything is cool until someone comes up with another crazy bug hehe

edit: I just find it amusing that I thought having to fight two or three juggernauts was what you were meant to do - it happened in my unpatched install. Took me ages to get the strategy right too

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  13. Livonya

Interesting. I didn't know what was happening to cause this, but your description is helpful. I will try to come up with a better fix (I will leave this fix in of course as a fail safe) that will prevent more than one from ever appearing.

- Livonya

14. Livonya

Okay, last night I figured out why the Juggernaut was appearing multiply times.

I fixed it and it won't happen again. So when I release 2.0 that problem will be a thing of the past.

My more primitive fix won't be necessary, though I will leave it in as a fail safe.

- Livonya

15. Zebedee

Sounds like you have been in overdrive mode again Livonya - and it's appreciated!

Our Host!