Knights of the Chalice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue_Salamander, Aug 15, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Blue_Salamander

Blue_Salamander Member

Hello! I have just released my 2D RPG, Knights of the Chalice, and I am sure most fans of TOEE will want to try the free demo.

Five-foot step, charge, ready versus spell, it was in TOEE, it is also in KOTC. Feel free to visit or comment about the game.

Thanks! (See my signature for the link)

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I've played the demo, and I'm definitely getting this one.

The focus is on tactical combat, with plenty of fights with spellcasters casting silence, web, dispel magic, sleep, etc. Just about all the cool features of ToEE appear here (ready vs. approach/spell, counterspelling, crafting, charge attacks, controllable full attacks, 5 foot steps, AoOs, hyperlinked help and roll history...), with tons of others to boot (bull-rushing, grappling, wall spells, surprise rounds...) and the list is still rapidly growing with all the furious patching going on. The AI is really great too - casting sleep on your party members and coup-de-graceing them, summoning fire elementals to tear through web spells, etc, and as I mentioned enemy spell casters make full use of their repertoire. Definitely check it out!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

And weather - lets not forget that!

This is great: the Demo is only 6mb, very quick, and its based on the d20 system so we already know it. Damn good fun so far!

4. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

So how many people from Co8 have actually tried the Knights Demo (I just can't use KotC as it's too similar to KotB...:poke:) or even bought the full version?

I tried the Demo, liked it, bought the full version. A bit pricey after the US $ price conversion, but I'm having fun with it so all's good.

Anyone else?

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I've tried it. The graphics are a little (20 years?) dated, but the AI ROCKS! :thumbsup:

How much does the full version cost?

6. erkper

Yeah, the graphics look straight out of my kids' (too old to play with now)Nintendo Gameboys. I actually think the game looks and plays a lot like the Gameboy "Eye of the Beholder" game. That AI is brutal - they are relentless in going after your casters, aren't they? I'm seriously considering an all-cleric party just to confuse the AI...

As far as the price - 15.95 pounds IIRC (apparently I don't have the British pounds symbol on my keyboard, :nerd:) which translates to about $25-26 US. The campaign in the full version seems very similar to the A-G series of modules (Slave Lords and Against the Giants.) Pretty fun so far, and I'm nowhere near finished.

7. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

I checked this out last night. Looks pretty damn good! The graphics are very reminiscent of the original NES or even the old SSI DnD games.

Told J I might have find yet another game to keep me away from her! :poke:

Can't wait to try the demo!

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Is the campfire (for resting) SUPPOSED to not work?

9. erkper

Always works for me. Did you click on it?

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Works for me.

I gotta say, although I am in awe of much of the AI, I can also see (as a modder) where they have 'sidestepped' many of the difficult areas, such as spells with a duration: every spell with a duration ends at the end of combat and can't be cast outside it. This is a pain: no pre-buffs means when you fight liches etc you have nothing at the very start of the combat to counter their immunities. This, coupled with Blue Salamander's stock response to balance issues - "are you using max HP?" - gives me grave misgivings, and I haven't bought the full version yet.

Anyone who hasn't tried the Demo, though, please do so: a lot of folks here will love this. Also, check out the Codex, where Zeb had a thread about this that got a very positive response.

11. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

Having the full version, the combat is difficult with the bull-rushing ,smart AI,and sticky situations you can find yourself in, but it isn't completely insurmountable even without Max HP. I have a party with two wizards so I may be a little more squishy then some and I don't find it frustratingly difficult. I would imagine a party with all clerics would be pretty effective especially using the share spells feature.

I'm guessing that implementing a progression of time throughout the game (besides the combat rounds during combat) would not be easy to create from scratch? The duration issue can be evil, as some ability draining is permanent until your cleric is high enough in level to get restoration.

12. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

I've played the full game for many, many hours now. I'm glad there's no pre-buffing. It makes a good balance with being able to pick spells on the fly (no specific memorization), and I always found buffing before an encounter tedious anyway.

The max stats option is just a sop for the weak. There's no reason for any fan of turn-based tactics to even consider it.

I recommend the full game without reservation! (Also, I did an interview with the developer which is supposed to come out on RPGWatch today)

Check it out... or not, as you desire.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  13. Emirkol the Chaotic

Gave the demo a quick run through last night.

Lasted all of 10 minutes after two encounters. TPK'd by a Brown Bear.

That's a first!! :twitch:

More to come....

14. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

Oh geez I remember that bear, it's pretty badass, careful if you want to avoid it right away it does wander!

15. Emirkol the Chaotic

Played through a little more. Made it into the dungeon and right into a group of wizards and archers. Staggered out of that area and into a huge fight with a higher level wizard, clerics, and Trolls.

I totally agree that the AI is efficiently brutal!! :twitch: :twitch:

Our Host!