Lareth's Diary

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Mycalle, Sep 30, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Mycalle

Mycalle Member

After i disposed of lareth i found his diary inside his quarters in the moathouse but i can't open it, every time i try just says find an expert. I don't have a playable rogue in my party ( which i assume is the only one who would have a shot at opening it) only an npc rogue which does not get the same option to attempt to open the book.

2. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Since I wrote this code, I guess I will answer this.

You can open it with any decent rogue in your party, or maybe even a bard if you cast some buff spells on them first.

Or I believe you can take the book to a rogue that isn't in your party and pay them to open it. If I remember right I made it so Furlong (spelling?) in the tavern can open it for a price. Even if Furlong is in your party you should be able to talk to him about it. I added some conversations between your party and NPCs, just use the talk icon and then select them.

Also, if you can't open the book then it won't rally matter in the end.

I haven't looked at his in several years, but that is how I remember it.

- Livonya

(Edit -- Also, I am not sure if anyone involved with CO8 changed what I did. So it may have been changed, but that is how I remember scripting it).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  3. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

AFAIK, that's the way you can do it, and no one has changed it after you. ;)

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

the rogue's name is Furnok IIRC

5. Mycalle

Mycalle Member

well fornuck is dead thanks to hill giant in emeirdy fields so not sure if there is anyone else who can open it

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

We should probably script alternatives, like bashing it open with a hammer/pick (perhaps damaging it to some extent, but still giving you the map to Nulb).

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The leather worker and jeweller have dialouge that gives you the Nulb map. It shows up when you go to sell your loot. The diary isn't necessary.

p.s. Don't sell Lareth's boots to anyone but Rannos/Gremag traders. It gives you the asassin encounter.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  8. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

aha, that's how you get the assassin encounter. sell it to those two.
    thanks

9. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Good idea if it can be worked in :)

10. t0lkien

t0lkien Member

If this is changed, could the check be made a skill check instead of a class check? It makes much more sense. I am taking a solo cleric through and I had no way of opening the diary despite taking Open Lock etc. as cross class skills. Because this is my first time playing, it was totally confusing, and I spent ages checking the conversation trees on all the major NPCs because I figured I had to take it to someone to open as part of the plot.

Having to have a right class despite having the correct skills is a design oversight IMO, and confused the heck out of me.

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Doesn't have to be the boots...

12. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Well, if ya don't have a rogue in the group, and if furnok is dead... Ya lost the content of the book! Sh&&t$ happens. I thik that this is a very small thing to need more alternatives... See, the location of Nulb shall be geven by several characters after cleaning the Moathouse. I shall remeber now of the jeweler, the masonman, Burne and Terjon, but there aqrew probably some more.
    And, well, ya lost the plans of Lareth, that is a real lost, but as there are no implications about this in the game, most of the players will not miss the lines of the diary.

Ya have a real problem if there are no rogue in yer group and ya select the Chaotic Neutral Opening....

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'm not sure 'solo game' is best for your first play through...

14. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The Traders are a big rip-off. Any quest item with the black background, like Lareths boots, gold chain and maybe the ring of free movement should trigger the Assassin. The gold chain is worth a lot of GP to the jeweler but wont trigger the Assassin. Keep and use the ring.

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I always like to have at least one of my party decked out in as much of Lareth's gear as possible.

A kind of "in your face" thing I guess.

I get the assassin visit by just selling the necklace to the nasty couple that keep a shop near the church.

And don't try to tell me they're NOT a couple.

Just listen to how one of them whines for his sweety's help when you start to whoop em. ;)

Our Host!