Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC Bug Report Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ausdoerrt, Dec 18, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

The following information applies to version 7.2.0 NC:

The file 00550gnarley_witch.dlg has a typo in line 70:

The word her needs to be removed in the above quote.

The file 00355corpus.dlg has a typo in the following lines:

In all of the above lines, the correct word is meant to be can, not call.

The Commander of the Temple Guards (i.e. the guy in the room that is in between Senshock's room and the main corridor in the Greater Temple) has 2 Generic Helms in his inventory when the player loots his corpse.

If the player kills the Elven Maiden (who the player meets on a random encounter map and who is the envoy for Countess Tillahi who gives the player the reward for rescuing Countess Tillahi), then the Elven Maiden has both a Blue Elven Chain and a Green Elven Chain in her inventory when the player loots her corpse. Normally, she gives the player Blue Elven Chain as a reward, so my guess is that she wears the Green Elven Chain.

The long description for the Masterwork Great Cleaver lists incorrect damage (it lists 1d10 - it should be 1d10+1 because that's the damage that the weapon currently does because it is actually a +1 magical weapon and not just a masterwork weapon):

The Masterwork Great Cleaver (proto #4213) has the following entries in its proto:

The "Property 1 Type | Weapon Masterwork" is unnecessary/redundant/superfluous and can be removed. Also, the Masterwork Great Cleaver is incorrectly named - its correct name would be "Great Cleaver +1". However, I would argue that the Masterwork Great Cleaver is INSANELY overpowered because it does 1d10 damage, has a critical threat range of 17-20, has a critical multiplier of x3, can be further enhanced and enchanted, and can be wielded 1-handed! There are currently 3 Masterwork Great Cleavers in the game (Fruella has one, and there are 2 Female Bugbears that wield them in The Temple of Elemental Evil). I recommend that the Masterwork Great Cleaver either be removed from the game or significantly nerfed!

I would also argue that Fragarach and Scather are INSANELY overpowered and should either be removed from the game or significantly nerfed!

When I entered combat against Gunter Gladstone in the Spruce Goose Inn (by talking with him and then he gives me no option but to attack him), the innkeeper joined in the combat on Gunter Gladstone's side (see screenshot below). So I reloaded a saved game, positioned all of my party's characters out of sight of the innkeeper and entered combat with Gunter, but this time one of the Verbobonc Women saw one of my characters hit Gunter which caused her to scream in terror (with a temporary hovertext and hover-portait), which caused evey Verbobonc Man and every Verbobonc Woman in the inn to enter the combat on Gunter Gladstone's side (see screenshot below). So I reloaded a saved game, positioned all of my party's characters out of sight of every NPC in the inn (other than Gunter Gladstone), waited for the 2 patrolling Verbobonc Women to walk out of sight of my one character in the room where Gunter Gladstone is, and then attacked Gunter Gladstone with just that one character. Doing the combat this way prevented any of the NPCs in the inn from going hostile and joining the combat on Gunter Gladstone's side. Phew! I suspect that the innkeeper and the Nulb Women and Nulb Men in the inn have an allied faction with Gunter Gladstone.

When I fought Senshock in his room, I let him escape. Unfortunately, the instant that he escaped, combat ended because all of Senshock's minions instantly became nonhostile (see screenshot below). My characters could freely run around Senshock's room and his minions remained nonhostile.

One time while I was in Nulb, I noticed an eternally radiating outwards concentric ripples in one spot on the map (within the red circle in the screenshot below). The animated ripple had no adverse effect on the game.

The recruitable NPC Kella (Hill Giant) has permanent SR[16] (i.e. Spell Resistance of 16). She is a half-elf and she has no items that could possibly be providing the Spell Resistance. I read the section about her in the original PnP module (room 414). She is supposed to have no other magical items apart from her Phylactery of Change. Her Spell Resistance is a bug.

When I Wild Shaped Kella into the shape of a Hill Giant, she started off always doing exactly 7 damage each time that she hit (which is her Strength Modifier while in the shape of a Hill Giant) because she wasn't rolling any dice damage for her unarmed strikes. Later on, while still in the shape of a Hill Giant, she started always adding +2 damage to her total damage because she had a Longsword +2 equipped when she changed shape to a Hill Giant (see screenshot below). The damage that Kella does while in Hill Giant shape is bugged.

I recommend both changing the Ring of Resonance's long desciption to include the vital fact that only wizards can use the ring, and include that vital fact in the witch's dialogue at line 160 of the file 00550gnarley_witch.dlg:

I recommend changing the dialogue to something like:

I recommend changing the Ring of Resonance's long description to something like:

Will-O-Wisps and the Seahag can both be criticially hit. I believe that these monsters are supposed to be immune to critical hits because they lack vital areas (being a ball of energy and undead respectively). Is it possible to make these monsters immune to critical hits?

The file 00372senshock_verbobonc.dlg has a typo in line 180:

In the combat against the Earth Temple Troop Commander, 2 of the Earth Temple Bugbears do nonlethal damage to the player's characters.

The Juggernaut always does nonlethal damage with its first attack. Then it always does normal damage with its attacks for the rest of the combat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Somehow it seems like we've addressed that before ...

Yeah, seems that way.

It may need to have the masterwork property in order to craft it, as it doesn't appear to be flagged as magical.

Troika must have wanted it that way.

Sadly that happens once in a while. Basically all generic citizens are scripted now to take no actions or sides if a combat starts nearby, but do you think the game will do that reliably? No.

I think that's actually normal. Makes a bit of sense - their master is no longer around.

I don't see anything in the SRD to indicate they are immune to critical hits. Are there any other examples of monsters in ToEE that are?

3. gazra_1971

The following information applies to version 7.2.0 NC.

The file 00185knight.dlg is missing the word "like" in line 72:

The Helm of Teleportation has the graphics of a Plumed Helm when viewed on its wearer's head, but it has the graphics of a Great Helm when viewed in the inventory screen (see screenshot below).

During the combat against the Balor Guardian, the Balor Guardian summoned a Hezrou. I had a charmed Greater Temple Bugbear in my party who tripped one of the Efreet(i). The Efreet(i) provoked attacks of opportuntiy as it was standing up, but the Hezrou made an attack of opportunity against the Efreet(i) (see screenshot below). This implies that the summoned Hezrou has a faction that isn't allied with the Efreet(i)'s faction. Also, surely Efreet(i) are supposed to be untrippable because they are floating above the ground?

I don't understand what you mean. I'm not sure if Gargoyles are immune to critical hits in the computer game or not - I think I've been able to critically hit (sneak attack) them in some combats but not be able to in others. I'll have to pay more attention on my next playthrough.
    The Seahag at Immeryds Run can be critically hit in this computer game. I was under the impression that she was undead which automatically means that she should be immune to critical hits (because all undead are immune to critical hits).

During the random encounter with the band of adventurers, I attacked them. This caused Elmo, Ronald, and Spugnoir to immediately leave my party and become hostile during the combat. I killed either Ronald or Spugnoir (not both). The instant that I killed Elmo, I immediately got the Butcher of Hommlet reputation (I checked my logbook). Is this reputation working as intended? The only other NPCs in Hommlet that I had killed previously was Rannos Davl & Gremag.

I had 8 characters in my party when I spoke to Paida. I selected the dialogue option to bring her with me, but of course she couldn't physically join my party because my party was already full. This caused a very weird bug where the game thought that Paida was in my party, because where-ever I went around the Greater Temple map, Paida would show up standing at different locations around the Greater Temple (see sreenshots below). During the combat with Hedrack, Paida said a voice sample and showed up in the combat queue, even though I already had 8 other characters in my party (see screenshots below). I was unable to complete the quest to return Paida to her husband Valden in Hommlet because of this bug (even if I removed an NPC from my party, Paida was now unable to physically join my party).

Fruella won't relinquish her Masterwork Great Cleaver even after she has levelled up 1 level while being in my party. I have no dialogue option with her to buy her equipment from her. I've equipped her with better weapons and armour but she refuses to part with that Masterwork Great Cleaver.

During the 'Monster Mash' combat, one of my spellcasters cast Chain Lightning. I heard the sound effect and saw the animation of the spell but the game then immediately crashed to desktop. Casting Chain Lightning seems to cause the game to crash to desktop (some times, at least).

During the combat against Hedrack, Spugnoir successfully cast Charm Person on one of the Greater Temple Bugbears (with 152 HP). When my party travelled on the world map to Hommlet, the charmed Greater Temple Bugbear was automatically removed from my party. When I returned to Hedrack's chamber, I saw the Greater Temple Bugbear standing in his original spot. He had a green circle around his feet indicating that he is nonhostile. When one of my PCs clicked on him, I think that he gave a generic friendly hovertext, but I was unable to have him rejoin my party, nor did he become hostile (even though the Charm Person spell had expired a long time ago).

I created a party using pre-generated PCs and begun adventuring. On the shop map, I entered the following console codes:
    from t import *
    t()

When my party appeared in Hommlet, I entered the following console code:
    uberizemajor()
    I then opened the inventory of one of the pre-generated PCs. The moment that I right-clicked on their equipped weapon or that I left-clicked on the Holy Ranseur +1, the game stopped responding (hung / locked up). When I used the console code to teleport to the Air Node, the instant that I right-clicked on one of the pre-generated PCs' equipped weapons (or it may have been an unequipped Longsword +5, I can't remember exactly) in the inventory screen, the game stopped responding (hung / locked up).

If the player hasn't encountered Hedrack in the game yet but the player activates one of the teleporters in the room on the top floor of the Castle of the Lords and selects the Temple of Elemental Evil dungeon level 4 as the destination, then the player's party's characters appear in the Greater Temple completely surrounding Hedrack (which is grossly unfair for Hedrack because Hedrack is SO EASY to kill if combat starts against him in this situation!). I recommend changing the teleport destination for the Temple of Elemental Evil dungeon level 4 to near the entrance where the 2 sets of stairs are. It doesn't take long at all for the player's party's characters to run from the stairs to Hedrack's room, so it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience to the player if this change was implemented.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  4. Gaear

NPC summons are often buggy this way because their protos are not necessarily members of the NPC summoner's faction.

I mean that the SRD entry for gargoyles doesn't mention them being immune to critical hits. Are all ToEE undead actually immune to critical hits? I can't find an object flag or other proto field that controls or even mentions critical hit immunity, so if it exists it must be tied to object type internally (e.g. there are object proto fields that list type, such 'undead.') Are gargoyles undead?

It sounds like it is, yes. The Butcher rep requires two deaths of an NPC with a Hommlet faction, and Elmo, Spugnoir, and Ronald all belong to that faction. NPCs were scripted a few releases back to attack parties they are members of who attack good-aligned NPCs. The band of adventurers is good.

I believe Paida is scripted to attach to the party like a charmed animal if it is full when she is rescued.

That's also as intended, as the cleaver is a character defining item. (It is who she is - she would never relinquish it voluntarily.)

Chain Lightning has always been buggy.

Monsters will often appear friendly if they are encountered in a context where they have not seen a fellow faction member attacked. (Such as if a fight had occurred on a previous visit to a map and their 'leader' was no longer present on a subsequent visit.)

That's odd - I thought that's where it did route to. Will fix.

Strangely the SRD doesn't mention it.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If I understand the SRD correctly gargoyles are not undead, but merely monsters that can freeze, (stay perfectly still) for a very long time.

They do have damage reduction 10/magic though.

Here's a link to the SRD on GARGOYLES.

6. mark hill

mark hill Member

Ok my bug report seems to have been deleted without respose .. am I posting in the wrong place or something? Is it something thats been well and truely covered elsewhere? I dont wanna screw up your local customs, but some feedback would be nice when this happens

7. Gaear

That was all moved to the regular modpack discussion thread, as it appeared to be mainly discussion oriented. (Is this a big? What's going on? Help me. etc.) This thread is mainly for reporting hard, identifiable bugs.

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9311

8. mark hill

mark hill Member

ah ok thanks Gaear

9. sirchet

In the moathouse, twice now I've had Lareth come out of his room when called and end up stuck in a wall.

He can't be targeted and no matter how many rounds you wait he never comes out of the wall, (I think maybe he gets stuck).

Here's a picture.

[​IMG]

10. gazra_1971

The following information applies to version 7.2.0 NC.

Sorry for misleading you about the Gargoyle, Will-o'-Wisp, and Seahag. After examining the D&D 3.5 SRD, I now realize that none of those monsters are immune to critical hits and that the Seahag is not undead.

sirchet, I've never experienced a problem with Lareth getting stuck in a wall during that combat ever since I started playing this computer game. The Lareth combat worked just fine for me in 7.2.0 NC. I suspect that you have had a bad activation of the Co8 Mod Pack.

The D&D 3.5 SRD states that a Kukri is a martial weapon (see code below) but the Kukri is currently an exotic weapon in this computer game. The D&D 3.5 SRD doesn't have the butterfly sword, war fan, monk spade, or tonfa weapons listed in the weapons table. I don't have the source book that those new weapons are listed in (so I don't know if they are indeed exotic weapons). Could somebody please check this?

Code:
    [COLOR="Lime"]Martial Weapons[/COLOR]	Cost	Dmg (S)	Dmg (M)	Critical	Range Increment	Weight1	Type2	   
    [I]Light Melee Weapons[/I]	   
    Axe, throwing	8 gp	1d4	1d6	x2	10 ft.	2 lb.	Slashing	   
    Hammer, light	1 gp	1d3	1d4	x2	20 ft.	2 lb.	Bludgeoning	   
    Handaxe    	6 gp	1d4	1d6	x3	—	3 lb.	Slashing	   
    [COLOR="lime"]Kukri[/COLOR]             8 gp	1d3	1d4	18–20/x2	—	2 lb.	Slashing
    Once Scorpp joins the player's party, if the player removes any other NPC from the party, then the NPC (who was just removed from the party) attacks the party. I suspect that any other NPC in the party that is removed from the party (while Scorpp is in the party) adopts the script that Scorpp has when Scorpp leaves the player's party (which is to immediately attack the player's party), or it may be because Scorpp is naturally hostile to such NPCs so Scorpp starts combat against the NPC (even though Scorpp is in the player's party).

The instant that Scorpp joined my party, combat started against Scorpp's wolf. It seems odd that Scorpp would attack his pet wolf or allow others to attack his wolf.

If the player buys items from a vendor and then sells items back to the vendor, the item trading interface can become corrupt and even cause the game to crash. This is due to the empty slots in the vendor's inventory being filled incorrectly by the items that the player sells to the vendor.
    However, if the player sells items to the vendor before buying items from the vendor, then no problems arise from the item trading interface (assuming that the vendor has no empty slots in between the vendor's items for sale) because all of the empty slots (below the slots filled with items that the vendor has for sale) function correctly as long as the player drags an item to an empty item slot in the vendor's inventory each time.

The D&D 3.5 SRD states that Hill Giants have a Base Attack of +9 and that they have the feat Weapon Focus (Greatclub) (see quote below). Scorpp has a Base Attack of +9 and the feat Weapon Focus (Greatclub), so he is supposed to be getting a +1 bonus to his Attacks when wielding his Hill Giant Spiked Club, but he isn't getting that +1 bonus in this computer game (see screenshots below):

The game_rp_npc_m2m.mes file has a typo in line 15:
    The word "or" needs to be replaced with the word "are" in the above quote.

I believe that the 00488ariakas.dlg file has a typo in lines 110 and 1230:
    I've checked 3 different dictionaries and they all do not have the word "townfolk" in them - they instead state the word "townsfolk" as being the correct spelling of the word. I personally do not have a problem with the usage of the word "townfolk" as it seems logical and sounds okay to me. I'd be interested to know whether the word "townfolk" is an acceptable American spelling of the word.

I entered the Maroon Moon, bribed the Maitre'd, came back a day later, talked to Darlia, got the Nulb merchant assassination quest mentioned but did not accept the quest. Then I spoke to Lerrik for the very first time in the game (Lerrik was in the Maroon Moon at the time that I spoke to him), and I had the following dialogue option to choose from in his dialogue node (see screenshot below):
    "I think you ordered Darlia to arrange an assassination of the Viscount"
    When I selected that line of dialogue, it caused Lerrik and Darlia and the Waiters to attack me. After I killed them, I talked to Wilfrick but Wilfrick had no dialogue option related to either Lerrik or Darlia.
    I should point out that Darlia never mentioned the quest to assassinate Wilfrick to my party.
    Lerrik's dialogue node needs fixing.

The file 00482elementalist.dlg has typos in lines 41, 50 and 71:
    The correct spelling of his name is Ariakas.

The file 00484wakefield.dlg has a typo in line 150:
    The correct spelling of the word is heretics.

Ariakas only has 8 feats. He is a human level 15 fighter, so he is supposed to have 14 feats. I realize that NPCs can only have a maximum of 10 feats (due to a limitation in ToEE's game engine) and that Ariakas has been deliberately designed to be an average NPC should the player choose to have him in the player's party during the War of the Golden Skull (so that Ariakas doesn't make the combats too easy for the player) but I thought that I should mention this in case you either want to adhere to the RPG's rules or in the remote case that you weren't aware that he is allowed to have more feats according to the RPG's rules.

I encountered a very rare bug that I may have experienced only 1 or 2 times before (if at all). In Emridy Meadows, one of my fighters spontaneously started doing 0 damage every time that he hit skeletons while wielding a maul. No matter what weapon that I had the fighter wield, he kept doing 0 damage with all of the different weapons. I had to load an earlier game save to avoid the corruption.
    I've included the following game save in case the source code ever gets released for this computer game (so that a modder might be able to track down and fix the bug).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  11. sirchet

I've seen this in 7.0NC and 7.1NC also, but just finally got around to taking a picture of it this time in 7.2NC.
    Everything else is running perfectly, even the videos are running perfectly.

So, no one else has seen Lareth stuck in a wall?

12. Gaear

I think someone else mentioned something like that before. Whatever it is, it's probably script-related. I'm sure there's no need for a module reactivation; Lareth's just doing something slightly goofy like trying to go into a blocked sector or something.

13. Gaear

Which two additional feats should he have?

14. gazra_1971

I didn't create the NPC Ariakas so I have no right to choose his feats. If you're asking what 2 additional feats would be useful for a level 15 fighter to have, then I personally would choose the following 2 additional feats for him if I had the choice (in order to maximize his effectiveness as a fighter (but that might not be desirable if you want Ariakas to be an average NPC)):

Greater Weapon Focus (Warhammer)
    Improved Critical (Warhammer)

The only other feat that I would consider really useful for Ariakas to have is Combat Reflexes (because Ariakas' Intelligence doesn't allow him to qualify for Combat Expertise or Improved Trip, and his Dexterity doesn't allow him to qualify for Dodge).

By the way, Ariakas has natural Spell Resistance [18]. Was this done intentionally to prevent the player from stealing an item from his inventory that would give him Spell Resistance? If not, then I recommend that his natural Spell Resistance be removed (since it is illegal) and then equipping him with a Mantle of Spell Resistance to make his permanent Spell Resistance legal (since he is human and not a drow or demon). The only downside is that a Mantle of Spell Resistance gives its wearer Spell Resistance [21].

Can you please inform me what the situation is with the Kukri weapon?

Who originally made the Kukri an exotic weapon in this computer game?

Is it actually possible for the Circle of Eight modders to change a weapon's proficiency type to either an exotic weapon or martial weapon or simple weapon?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  15. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

My understanding (Gaear may know better) is that the kukri was an exotic under the 3.0 rule set which TOEE was originally being developed with. Then mid-development TOEE was changed to the 3.5 ruleset, which IMO is the cause of many of the rules goofiness in this game. True bugs are another issue of course, but from what I've seen, some of the "bugs" in this game are simply mis-implementations of the incorrect rule set that were never changed when the game switched to 3.5.

Our Host!