Tutorial: How to Make a new Map.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Jota, Feb 26, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

What about the dimensions? What is the maximum width in pixels and height in pixels.

For that matter, and please don't consider me ungrateful to any of the Gods, I got confused with Ted's tutorial, but 'tis likely because of a serious unfamiliarity. My mentality tends towards the, "Show me once and I will learn the intricacies." Being a "newbie" is daunting but being that same individual means I am highly motivated in learning new things.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Well, you can't expect to learn hex editing, for example, by being thrown into the middle of a hex editor. ;) Have a look at another offering from Ted that details the basics.

The largest maps in ToEE (Hommlet and now Verbobonc) are in the range of 16000W x 10000H. I wouldn't try to go beyond that.

3. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Actually back in the day I was comfortable using Norton's hex editor. That was the one that came with their Norton Tools and it sure saved my bacon a number of times. Now hex editors are all over the place with most of them free on the net. Myself, I always spend the extra bucks and get a commercial low cost one.

I had some Seagate drives that mysteriously would lose their fat type and operating system information a looong time ago. This was when a gigabyte drive was never thought of. A drive that large, why would we need that?
    I would start up Norton's tools from the floppy, access the boot drive and make the repair. Another month would go by and it would do it again. That was some fifteen years ago, or longer. I just three years or so ago threw away my hex—alphabet chart that I had laminated. Who knew!

Needless to say I stopped using Seagate about the same time and have used WD ever since with only one out of some thirty or so ever having failed me. And WD treated me right and shipped the drive out without having already received the bad one. That sold me on them and been satisfied ever since. Now I buy terabyte drives like there candy and have four sitting here on the floor for when I need 'em. I have gotten dumber over the years though. <g>

I would like to "play" with this though and will keep chuggin' away as long as you folks don't get pi**ed off at me.

4. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Icewind dale I maps can be copied via print-screen, and can be combined into a single image ( a little bit tedious, but it's a nice trade-off ). Imagine the magnificent art ported to ToEE. Just pure awesomeness. :doh:

5. vinzs852

vinzs852 Member

I'm completely new to hexediting and am lost at determining the new line. I follow along with converting 25 to 19, but how is it determined that the new line is 144?

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

My god it's been a while since I had anything to do with hex editing... A quick google search suggests the hex for 142 is 0x142 but I think Agetian's World builder program pretty much made this part of the process redundant.

Our Host!