The Co8 Modpack and TFE-X

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Oct 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

What does the future hold at Co8 with the arrival of TFE-X?

Soon, very soon, a new Co8 modpack is going to be released. Not just a CMF update, but an entirely new modpack. It shall be called Circle of Eight Modpack v5.5.0, and it shall contain the entire volume of contents from Co8 5.0.0 and all the CMF updates through the latest build of 5.0.6 and any additional mods that appear in the very near future (can you say Hickory Branch 2.0? ;)).

This modpack will arrive in a format ready to be deployed by the new front end engine, TFE-X. In fact, it will arrive prepackaged with TFE-X.

What does it all mean?

It means that for a while anyway (until the next CMF update), you will have a fully patched and operational mod that is automatically game ready and does not require and user patching, not to mention any of the bizarre maneuvers that became necessary to get the CMF going with the old front end. You will simply download the modpack in the form of a .rar archive, extract it to your ToEE root directory (there will be no overwriting going on or anything like that), and then run TFE-X to convert any old modules you may have installed and to deploy them without heartache, as well as to launch the new modpack.

It also means that your game will be that much more stable, because the new TFE-X engine will be handling everything. It has been shown in testing to be a very stable platform, so this should mean very few headaches for you.

When will the new modpack arrive?

Probably within a few days. We still have some issues to resolve regarding previously optional contents of the mod, and other elements that need to be integrated.

What do I do in the meantime?

You should feel free to download and run the new TFE-X independantly and use it to convert your existing modules to the new format and run your games.

If I do that, will the new modpack interfere with my old saves when it comes?

You will be required to start a new game with Co8 v5.5. However, that shouldn't stop you playing your old modules. They can all exist in peace and harmony together. The new modpack won't destroy your old saves from other modules or anything like that.

I'm convinced that the latest build of the CMF is unstable. How do I avoid using that?

In the near future we will make available TFE-X-compatable versions of Co8 v3.0.4, Co8 v4.1, Co8 v5.0.0, and maybe some other mods such as Vicks and Wedge or whatever else Allyx has in that thread. We will not be making any of the earlier v5 CMF stages of the mod avaialble independantly besides whatever the current version is. We only offer/support one version of each generation of the mod (and the support is really not much for earlier versions). Most modern support will be directed toward the very latest generation of the v5.5 mod. If you have a nagging fear that Co8 v5.5 will not play nice despite our reassurances, play an older generation mod.

What if I take that leap of faith and then v5.5 is shown to be unstable?

If there is compelling reason to believe that v5.5 is itself at fault - which will be much easier to determine with TFE-X and the new module format - then we will go back to an earlier stable version until the bugs can be worked out.

How do I learn more?

See this thread in the downloads forum for general TFE-X info.

See this thread in the ToEE forum to discuss TFE-X and ask questions.

2. Gaear

Just a heads-up:

This will not be the case, unfortunately. RL continues to intervene in unpleasant ways. Will keep you all advised.

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I hope all is okay. ;)

4. Salk

Salk Established Member

I think you are undertaking a fantastic project! I thank you sincerely for your great contributions!

Keep it up!

5. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Gaear,

Take you're time and deal with your RL issues. They're more important and potentially more dangerous and damaging if left alone! Your effeorts and those of the rest of the Co8 modding community are greatly appreciated and enjoyed.

I, personally, can be patient. I'm running the latest v5.0.6 mod with the additional patches with very little, if any, problems, so I can't complain.

As with the preparation of any good meal, good modding also requires time and pateince. My "PC Gaming" virtual mouth is watering with anticipation!! We're looking forward to a fulfilling and satisfying mod pack, not a Happy Meal!! :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. Gaear

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :hug:

7. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Don't you ever once think that all the effort you, Ted, Agetian, and the rest, put in is ever unappreciated. True, some of the newbies to the game, mods, and threads, aren't as patient or even nice when they encounter problems, but us "older" veterans respect your abilities and the time you dedicate to continually improving this games overall experience.

If I had one negative thing to say, it's that this game is taking away time from some of the other PC games I was playing!! :D

8. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf agricola

I haven't been on the ToEE scene very long, but I think I'm too old to be considered a newbie. Anyway, good job, Gaear and company. :thumbsup:

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute some things in the future. For now I've only played the game through twice, and I don't think I have enough knowledge of all the possibilities yet.

I'm leaning toward trying to make it possible to have sex with most of the NPCs in Hommlet and Nulb. Would that interest anyone?

I mean, it's kind of wierd that the only place in the entire game you can have sex is the whorehouse. :errf:

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well that big fat innkeeper in the Wench should have a payoff, considering how shamelessly he flirts with you :love:

10. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf agricola

Exactly who I was thinking of!

:thumbsup:

11. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

You can use the console to create some ladies upstairs in the inn long before you get to Nulb. Works okay.

12. GuardianAngel82

Works okay for what? :)

13. wizgeorge

To make a brothel upstairs in the Welcome Wench for anyone so inclined. You can have different portraits, spice up the dialouge, recruit them if you want. Lots of options for anyone that so desires. Royo portraits, some protos and .dlg editing and you can create your own brothel in Hommlett. The one in Nulb is pretty lame but the esrb rating prohibits serious mature activities. Something to do if you're bored.

14. GuardianAngel82

So I could have a hooker who's also a high stat Paladin. My Chaotic Evil party would line up for that. Would you have to pay extra for her to"fall"? :gotmyatte

15. wizgeorge

Make Jenelda a Paladin and try it. She might have a +5Holy longsword under her bed and just kill all the evil ones.

Our Host!