ToEE Front-End X Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by Agetian, Oct 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Vargr_Moon

The_Vargr_Moon Member

Cool, it worked. Thanks for the help.

2. mercurier

mercurier Member

Dear modders,

First thank you for all the effort that makes toee so much interesting!

Several years ago I played toee with Co8 Mod 5.5.0 on and it was a very nice game experience. I ran the game on WinXP SP3 with an integrated Intel video card.

Recently I tried my new machine (Win7 x64, AMD HD6850) with the Co8 Mod 7.4.0 and encountered the infamous crash after "initializing sector data":( . All operations in this post were done under Admin privilege and antivirus and firewall were disabled in the whole course.

First I installed TOEE (2CD version), applied patch 1&2 from Atari. The game launched even without tweaking toee.cfg. I played the tutorial a while and nothing went wrong. The only glitch was that upon exiting the game, Windows would popup an error message:
    Code:
    Problem signature:
    **Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    **Application Name: toee.exe
    **Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    **Application Timestamp: 00000000
    **Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    **Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
    **Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
    **Exception Code: c0000005
    **Exception Offset: 00038dc9
    **OS version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.16.7
    **Locale ID: 2052
    **Other Information 1: f47d
    **Other Information 2: f47d4f2ba6efc5df5251fac38210d772
    **Other Information 3: a238
    **Other Information 4: a2382fb0d7ba0539a29963a763bcee61
    Then I installed Co8 Mod 7.4.0 (without NC). Both the installation of the mod and the initialization of TFE-X finished without error. I could run the original unmodded game from TFE-X. The cinematics played without problem.

However, after I activated Co8 Mod in TFE-X and clicked "play", the game crashed after "initializing sector data". The error message was:
    Code:
    Problem signature:
    **Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    **Application Name: toee.exe
    **Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    **Application Timestamp: 00000000
    **Fault Module Name: temple.dll
    **Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    **Fault Module Timestamp: 407a4c66
    **Exception Code: c0000005
    **Exception Offset: 01eb6383
    **OS version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.16.7
    **Locale ID: 2052
    **Other Information 1: f47d
    **Other Information 2: f47d4f2ba6efc5df5251fac38210d772
    **Other Information 3: a238
    **Other Information 4: a2382fb0d7ba0539a29963a763bcee61
    I happened to notice that original game and modded game actually use different versions of temple.dll. The former uses a 3360K ver, and the latter uses a 6720K ver. Then I tried this:
    1) switch to unmodded game and backup the 3360K temple.dll
    2) switch to mod pack using TFE-X
    3) exit TFE-X, backup the 6720K temple.dll and replace it with the 3360K ver
    4) launch TFE-X and play with the mod pack
    This time the game didn't crash upon launching! I stated a new game and found that the in-game help document had benn updated with new contents. I didn't played much under this workaround but I guess I'd encounter some bugs sooner or latter.

Could anyone help me on this?

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hi Mercurier,

You definitely don't want to play with an old temple.dll, as important changes have been made to that file in the mod.

Do you have your game installed to the Program Files folder? That can be bad with Windows 7 and Vista, as they may never really allow you full access/control of files located there. It could be that when TFE-X deploys the Co8 mod (which involves a lot of moving of files and overwriting), Windows is not allowing some of these maneuvers to happen. If that's the case, the solution is to install the game to a custom directory - basically anything other than Program Files and it's subfolders.

4. mercurier

mercurier Member

Thanks for the reply, Gaear.

I Installed the game in a custom directory (d:\games\toee\). I even tried switching from the standalone AMD HD6850 to the onboard Intel HD3000 but found no luck.

Could you give me some hint to find possible source of problem? e.g. which log file to check?

5. mercurier

mercurier Member

More info:

I tried the installation on another machine running Win7 x86. To my surprise it worked!

I used tree command to generate file lists for both installations after activating Co8 mod pack and found that the following files are missing from the x64 installaton:
    (1) .\RT_ToEE4.dat
    (2) .\modules\ToEE\maps\*.*
    (3) .\data\scr\*.pyc
    For (2), only files in that level are missing, subfolders and their contents are OK.

I tried copying those missing files to appropriate location but the game still crashed. Besides, after (possibly before, the exact time was hard to determine) the crash, files in (2) were automatically deleted. I tried to "lock" these files using NTFS permisson, then TFE-X generated an error, complaining write access violation.

6. Gaear

The .dat file is not something supplied by the modpack; it should already exist via your game installation. Not sure why it's gone for you.

The map files and .pyc files are deleted upon launch by TFE-X, assuming that setting is checked (I think it's default), so that's normal. That is to get the scripts to compile anew for each play so that you're not using old scripts, even if they've been updated.

Not sure what else to tell you. It seems that it's something on your end, being as it worked on your other machine.

7. mercurier

mercurier Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I would try other approaches and report as soon as something new is found.

8. mercurier

mercurier Member

OK, finally got it run in WinXP in VirtualBox...

9. cezar_dan

cezar_dan Member

I'm trying to get the mod to work on Ubuntu 10.04, using Wine 1.4 but TFE-X does not load. I'm using the GOG.com version of the game.

Once the mod installer notifies me about TFE-X and it's activation, I click next and the installer disappears, followed a second later by the virtual desktop. I've tried to start it through the shortcut on the desktop, the .exe in the game folder and the icon named TFE-X-linux. All have the same result: the virtual desktop appears and then disappears a second later.

Another issue (that I don't think is unrelated) is that the Circle of Eight Modpack 7.4.0 NC.tfm file is not being unzipped. I tried doing this manually, but it had no effect on TFE-X.

I have read in several places that I need a program called Mono for this to work properly. After some reading I reached the conclusion that the name refers to MonoDevelop (I couldn't find any description of the program or download link, just the name Mono), and installed it. I then re-installed both the game and the mod, but there is no change.

Using the simple rather than the NC version of the installer it gives me the following error message:

Unable to execute file:
    C\Program Files\GOG.com\Temple of Elemental Evil\TFE-X.exe

CreatProcess failed; code 2.
    File not found.

There is no .log file in any case

Can you please help? :(

10. Gaear

I don't know much about this Wine/Ubuntu/Mono stuff, but ...

What antivirus software are you using? There is a known issue with some makers where it wrongly thinks toee.exe is a trojan and deletes it. Common culprits are Microsoft Security Essentials, Comodo, and McAfee. AVG does not have this issue and works brilliantly with ToEE once you add the exe as an exception.

That's not actually supposed to be unzipped during the mod installation, only during module activation by TFE-X.

I can't really help you with front end error messages, but as per above, the utility won't launch if it can't find the executable.

11. cezar_dan

cezar_dan Member

Well, I don't use any antivirus. It's in fact the reason I use Ubuntu: I can browse in relative safety without the need for an antivirus to use up my already scarce RAMs.

The error message only appears if I use the simple version of the mod. If I try the NC version there is no error message and the .exe files are where they should be in the game folder. They just simply don't work :(. I have tried starting the manually, but even the TFE-X-repair does not work.

Could you at least confirm that the Mono that has been mentioned is indeed the program I found (MonoDevelop). Perhaps that's the key to getting this to work.

Thank you for your time :)

12. Gaear

13. cezar_dan

cezar_dan Member

First, I'd like to apologize for not paying enough attention to that thread. I did indeed find it using the forum search, but after reading the first couple of replies I jumped to the conclusion that it contained nothing more than mentions of updates to the TFE-X-linux file. Also, since there was already a TFE-X-linux file included with the mod, I assumed that this side-project had been merged with the main mod some time ago and and that it contained nothing but outdated information.

The solution to my problem was in a rely in that thread. More precisely, I found out that I had to install .NET 2.0 into Wine. This I did by using Winetricks. For anybody that may later be interested this is what to do:
    - start Winetricks and go to "Select default wineprefix" anf click Ok
    - select "Install a Windows DLL or component" and click Ok
    - select dotnet20sp2, click Ok and follow the instructions in the installer

After I did this I once again attempted to install the mod and this time TFE-X launched without any issues. The game also works just fine, I think.

TFE-X-linux and Mono are a different issue. I eventually figured out that I had to run the file with Mono instead of Wine as I was used to (I've never needed to do this for any program) and all I got was an error message that said that I needed to run the file in the game folder (where it already was) and have patch 2 installed (which, considering this is the GOG version, I probably already have). This error message was mentioned somewhere at the beginning of the Linux/Mono thread, and was supposedly fixed. But for some reason it's back.

Thank you for your patience and help :)

14. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

I have gotten the "not responding" as well, but when I looked at the processes tab I could see that it was clocking up CPU time, etc. I was patient and after 4-5 minutes of CPU time it finished.

15. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

This thread has been unstuck and closed because the old front-end (ToEE Front-End X v3.0e and below) is no longer supported. Please discuss the new, updated front-end v4.0 here.

- Agetian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!